Guest is trying to get a refund on false pretences

Jose8
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest is trying to get a refund on false pretences

My previous guest made the claim that there were bedbugs in my apartment. She said that they had over thirty bites. When I sent someone to check, he said that there were no bedbugs in the mattress. Bedbugs generally leave stains on the mattress seams and there were none. The guest just wants to scam me. How should I proceed?

7 Replies 7

@Jose8   Are they asking for a refund?  They need to prove it.  Photos etc. Call Airbnb.

Are they asking you for anything or just complaining? 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Keep all communication with the guest on AirBnB. If they have that many bites then they can easily take a photo and send it to you. Ask for that for starters - and ask them to include in the photo a copy of the day's newspaper so that the photo is dated. Also, how long did the guest stay - if it was for a long'ish period, then they would have been bitten throughout their stay and would have contacted you during their stay, not afterwards.

Thank you for the help, they stayed for a week and did not complain. The person in charge of the apartment talked to them on their way out and they did not complain. Then about an hour after leaving they made the claim that there were bed bugs.

I got a shameless guest. She booked for 2 pax 19 days. I gave her standard discount for she stayed my place with good record before. But she changed evil and unreasonable. According to our doorman record, she bought 4 to 6 pax staying in our house, without charging additional USD19/pax/day. She also gave false evil pretences and she canceled  last 8 day and claimed refund more than the amount I got. After she checked out, I asked a professional cleaning and bug company to make detail check and inspection, but according to them, my place is perfectly clean up to the standard of a 5 stars hotel and free from any bug and insects. Furthermore, I found a lot of my small things disappeared, including 2 bottles of expensive wine placed in kitchen board. 

I do not have strength and mind for handling such small deals due to a recent traffic damage in my head and body. Please refer our recent messages and help. Thank you. 

Yesterday at 10:27 AM
Jeanne7
Level 8
Nice, France

Hello !

Sorry to hear that !

I just had the same problem with a guess pretending there was a umbearable bad smell in my renewed flat, asking for sure for a refund. 3 different people (including me) went in the flat and didn't smell anything, during 3 differents days during his stay.

Then he stopped to pretend anything about the smell, and start new claims about other things, like "the shower head fixing seat doesn't work", as my bathroom got a bath, etc. 

He is a local resident, who was supposed to stay in my listing as he was hosting his family in his own flat. I guess his plans changed, because he came alone, without his wife, and started to ask a refund for irrational stuffs from the beginning.

He left yesterday, and feel really better about that.

This is an awful hosting experience, and a very unpleasent way to start the year !

Adriana723
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

I’m very upset as a host! The guest is asking me for money after he left the house. He said I have bed bugs and he is asking me to refund $300. Why he stayed in the house until the last day? He also threatened me with and did and ugly review at the point that I want to put the house out of AIRBNB. I have been calling and calling but none answer. Nobody has complained about bed bugs before.