Guest left inappropriate comment

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Guest left inappropriate comment

I have contacted Airbnb regarding this but so far their response is less than acceptable!

I had an very high maintenance guest leave a reply to my review I left about her. 

In her response, the guest made a comment about how I sent my 2 year old outside in only a diaper. 

First off, it was during a heat wave and we were all sitting outside mainly with the kiddie pool right there. He was in a swimming diaper!  

Everytime my dogs bark it’s because guests are coming or going. So my 2 year old has learnt to go see as there will be people there (most give a polite response and carry on). 

I never for one second thought my son should be more covered up as these particular guests have kids and seemed great. Just high maintenance. 

My concern now however is what if a pervert or child molester reads her response and seeks out to book with me just because they may come across a kid in a diaper?

I have asked Airbnb to remove just the sentence pertaining to this but they refuse. 

If it’s a comment regarding hard pillows or bad linens etc, guests totally can post about that!  But are they seriously allowed to comment on parenting skills or what my son was wearing?

In this day and age everything is taken out of context. And the way she stated it she was almost implying something. 

How do I get Airbnb to remove this inappropriate statement?

17 Replies 17
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Candace66  I would call AirBnB  to remove it.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for your response @Lett0!

I actually have spoken with them and have messages with them regarding this!

The response from a case manager is this is not against their policies!?

This is what’s bothering me. If it’s a post about anything pertaining to their stay then that’s fine!  But this means they can complain about the outfit you and I wear too etc etc??

Its totally not ok to me as a parent!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Candace66 ,

I think this part of her comment is indeed odd, which i think potential hosts will understand also.

I am more concerned about your comment on her review ! This will for sure not benefit you, as you just bring up  here the "issue" with your son, which probably no one would have known off (unless they go to the guests profile, which most people don't ). Better let this one removed...

Best regards, Emiel

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Hi @Emiel1!  You are right!  There just is no where to respond to her weird accusations. 

I figure at this point I could care less what I wrote as I have stellar reviews and most guests will read through to see this! 

But emotions take over especially when dealing with kids!  

@Candace66   The one rule about reviews and responses is No Emotion, just the facts. Have them pull your response and request her's be removed for content.  

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

@Letti0 I know!  My mistake!

I did request and they refuse to remove any of the comments. I even asked them to just remove the few sentences regarding my child and they refuse. 

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

All this says to me is we as hosts have to allow guests to post any derogatory comments about not only our listing but our personal lives!  

So they can say anything about our religions, the kind of cars we drive, the food we eat!  It’s a serious issue. 

Not to forget that anyone pretty much can be on Airbnb searching for listings and will be allowed to book if their criteria is met. 

The point is should reviews only be allowed to be made regarding the listing and the host?  That’s what I understood it to be.

If they allow for these types of comments, where does it end?  I know I did not agree to be judged for the colour of my hair or what kind of shoes I am wearing. But apparently you can be!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Candace66You want Airbnb to remove a comment on the guests profile, but you bring up/emphasize same issue on your own profile. There is some contradiction here. IMHO the main subject in the guest's comment is even NOT about your son (i sense something like the guest trying to say she is "feeling neglected", but my English is not that good...).

So i can imagine Airbnb will not remove it (sorry..). But the really harmfull part is written by yourself, being the second half of your comment.And yes, probably written when  overwhelmed by emotions.  But i think it should be removed.

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

@Emiel1 It’s nothing like that!  

I agree with you I shouldn’t have left the part about the child in my response and I will be sure to get Airbnb to remove all comments from both the guest and myself.  

At the end of the day the issue is about her comment regarding a two year old kid. 

Airbnb is stating that any derogatory comment towards anything other than the suite itself is allowed.  So if a guest doesn’t like your hair or your clothes or thinks you are something you aren’t, they are apparently allowed, according to Airbnb support so far. 

I am waiting to hear back from a new case manager. 

My point solely is about the doors these comments can open, but Airbnb isn’t trying to solve it. 

I agree I am at fault in my own regard but have asked it all to be deleted. My only replies from 3 different people from Airbnb is that these comments are allowed. 

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I guess my question is if these things can’t be resolved when they are out of context regarding a listing, than shouldn’t we as hosts be extremely concerned?

I totally see what you are pointing out and that was my mistake, but trying to fix it is seeming to be quite hard at this point!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Candace66  Call back and get another rep. You have the right to have your response removed you're not being instisted enough, you wrote it and you want it removed.  

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

@Letti0 yes I am awaiting a new reps call!  

Just to be clear at this point I don’t care about the response I wrote. It’s the response the guest wrote!

But I have learnt, as you said, to keep pushing!  

Candace66
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

@Letti0 Plus the 3 different reps I’ve spoken to including a case manager all said there is no problem with the comments that were made about my son!  That is why I’m upset!

@Candace66   I would tell the rep that Child Protective Services may think otherwise.