Guest not answering re: check in time

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

Guest not answering re: check in time

I have a guest coming tomorrow, but she hasn’t responded at all to my messages re: what time she intends to check in. Another host has mentioned in a review that the same happened to her i.e. she just arrived with no message to say when. Whats the etiquette in dealing with this? thanks.

19 Replies 19
Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Patrick0 from time to time u will have guests like that from check in to check out not a single message. I just had one who left today. What i do  on  those cases i send all info inclu self check in option and check in time and previous night before check out i send again check out time.  And in review less stars on communication.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hey Patrick, when this happens to me, I just go about my daily business. If they arrive and I'm not home, too bad. I'm so over people wanting to pay $50/night for 2 people and expecting to be able to check in whenever they want like I have a full hotel staff waiting for them. I do send a message to everyone a day or two before reminding them to let me know what time they're coming but they still don't always. I would have thought it's just common courtesy, but hey, that's just me... 🙂

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

@Kath9 yes agree totally with you Kath, its common courtesy, and if I was a guest I'd want to arrange an approximate time and make sure there was someone there to let me in! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patrick802  When I didn't hear anything back from a guest 3 days before her arrival (this was an international booking, so I needed to know she had received the map and info I'd sent her, and I needed to know when she'd be arriving) I contacted Airbnb, who got hold of her right away, and then she responded.

@Sarah977 ok thats sounds like a plan 🙂

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

You are not clear about your situation, so it's hard to answer.  Is this a room or entire apartment?  Do you have the ability to create a self check-in so you don't need this coordination? 

You are hosting and need to be flexible with your guests, yes it would be great to know the exact time someone is showing up, but having a self check-in process is not just easier on your it is greatly appreciated by your guests.

I start the process by communicating at the time of reservation advising the guest that they will receive detailed instructions before they arrive.  I e-mail the full package (4 page pdf) and follow up at the same time with a text asking the guest to confirm receipt.  If I don't get an answer I follow up the next day with an additional text and a message through the ABnB system (to document I am communicating).

The vast majority of the time there is no issue, but I have had people that were traveling on a plane or simply had no coverage with an ability to respond (some others are just lazy poor communicators).

Remember you are in a service business.  You need to figure out a process that works for you keeping in mind your "customer".

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Patrick802 Hi Patrick, did you hear from your guests? I message my guests about 4-5days before that I have a keycode BUT I wish to always meet and greet guests and give a quick tour - I live in the house and we ABB our cottage out in their own private area. So far great 63 guests groups - only one that came so late and I am good until 10-11 pm after that nope. I met them the next day. I always state check is 3pm and please message me 30 mins out before your arrival and it seems to work - folks are driving, flying and they tell me possible ETA and I think they like the 30 minute before window of the arrival. I greet when they drive into their driveway and give a quick tour of the cottage and welcome them. It is always received really well. 

You know when folks travel many of us call somebody to say we arrived and are safe.....I think this 30 min window and someone expecting their arrival is kinda like that. It puts a time on it too - NOT just when are you arrive - 

hope you heard from them and all it well.

happy hosting, Clara

@Clara116 no reply from her yet, based on past comments she just seems to roll up and says didnt know the ETA as was driving.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Patrick802, lack of communication is my pet peeve and in business, especially our business of someone coming into our home, communication is peace of mind.

I fine it disconcerting when a guest does not communicate or answer any of my messages. It is very rude not to respond to a message and it takes only a moment for someone to respond to a message, even if it's a, "Got it, thank you."

I find most people who do not communicate are the instant bookers. Of course, they are also usually the ones who have several verifications and reviews, which helps, but I still don't like when someone does not take even a moment to acknowledge receipt of a message. 

In this case, you might want to call her to check in with her and make sure she is still coming and verify the time. Tell her you have something going on and need to verify the time.

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

@John1080 couldn't agree more John, its common courtesy to reply, even a one liner. There is no notification of a cancellation my end (or do I see it?), so if she just doesn't show up, does she still get charged/I still get paid, or how does it work? I use moderate cancellation. thanks

@Patrick802, if she had cancelled, you would get a notification - keep checking your inbox and messages to make sure. She was charged by Air when she booked and you will be paid 24 hours after her check in time. 

It sounds to me she is just not responsive and/or she isn't getting your messages. I think some people don't have the app and just don't check their email regularly. I would bet she will show up not even knowing she should be responding. Is she a newbie? 

@John1080 yes, a newbie. I'd say you are right, shes travellling around and prob hasn't the app and therefore not checked messages. Thanks.

@John1080 One last thing, that guest did eventually show up...but say she didn't show up and didn't cancel, and then Airbnb automatically checked her in, would I get paid regardless the next day? or would it come back to bite me at a later date? i.e. asked by airbnb to refund the money?

@Patrick802, I'm not certain but I think you would be paid regardless if she didn't cancel and hadn't contacted AirBnb. More experienced hosts like @Letti0 might have more insight into that.