Guest pays for 2, but intends to have a rotation of people?!

Cindy21
Level 2
Oxshott, United Kingdom

Guest pays for 2, but intends to have a rotation of people?!

Hello, 

My guest booked on autobook for 2 people.

She just told me she is traveling solo but intends to have a partner stay.

Now she tells me that she may have her father stay, her two kids and her best friend and that she

is 'still making plans'.

I feel that she has skirted paying me the appropriate amount. This is the first time this has

happened, other guests have all travelled together as a family. 

I have told her that I will be providing bedding for up to 2 beds (even though 1 double should have been find)

and if she wants more people over she can pay for them. I feel like she will buy bedding or skirt my rules and I am not happy at all

about this. I have offered to amend her booking to account for more people or let her cancel.  I intend to padlock the extra rooms.

Please I need guidance on this I did not want to cancel her booking because I heard about the neg implications but it is not fair to me- a rotation of people is not acceptable and will result in much more cleaning and laundering work etc.

Thanks

C

3 Replies 3
Dorothee4
Level 2
Guate, Guatemala

Good Morning Cindy. May I recommend that you clearly tell your guest that your quoted fee is for 2 people, any additional guest has an additional fee of $/per guest. Ask her to confirm the number of guests she would like to bring, as a host you are free to accept or not accept. If a guest brakes your rules, your rating is not affected. That will not hurt your status. Any extra charges are collected through the resolution center.
Cindy21
Level 2
Oxshott, United Kingdom

I met the guests "partner" who told me that I was being inflexible and it was unreasonable of

me to expect them to pay for extra beds when they were not sure how often or how many they will use. Additionally they stated they already paid a ton ($x) and should not have to pay more. Hello? They are paying over 400 less than the min I would charge any other person because they understated their usage!!!!

Since when does a guest get to pay per use after booking? Additionally they informed me last night the day before check in that they are "ethical" and want an animal free household ie no feather duvets (Which I do not have!) Am I supposed to supply

linens which I do not have at my own expense to be accomodating or charge the guests or tell guests to purchase their own duvets?

Can I easily recoup charges from the deposit or will it be a gut wrenching experience?

I have updated my house rules as they have not checked in yet and stated that there WILL be a charge per extra bed used and it is subject to the 3 day minimum stay. These people are not going to be happy and I am already not happy and now I am faced with getting a negative review- it it really worth it? I still cannot cancel their booking because I feel guilty that they will have no where else to stay...

Any further advice?

Thanks

These people sound like trouble all around.  It might be worth a pre-emptive call to Airbnb to explain the troubles you're already having. Ask them what your options are. Ask if they can be re-homed or canceled without penalty to you. If not, press them to get in touch with the guests and stress that no more than 2 named guests will be allowed on the property. **bleep** it in the bud before they get there.

If they show up with more than two, don't grant any of them entry until they've decided which two are staying or tell them they need to cancel.

The language in your rules is perfect, but you might add something about "no unregistered guests on the property" so they don't try to pull a "oh, he's just visiting for a few minutes".

Re: the "ethical" bedding. Tell them this isn't something you offer. Your listing doesn't mention anything about offering "ethical" bedding and they should have checked with you BEFORE reserving if that was a requirement

I'm sorry you're going through such a headache. Keep your chin up & stay professional. You're being quite reasonable in all this, so don't let them bully you.