Guest phone numbers

Answered!
Glen-and-Carol0
Level 1
Albany, Australia

Guest phone numbers

Hi, we are new to Airbnb. My question is: if we get an enquiry from a potential guest that has questions, can we phone them? Does Airbnb provide guests phone numbers to the host? 

1 Best Answer
Dave-And-Dee0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Hello @Glen-and-Carol0,

Initially you don't have access to a phone number.

All that is really necessary is to respond quickly to messages from Airbnb. This counts towards your Superhost status. So to respond quickly I would download the Airbnb app so you get notifications on your phone.

In my time as a host (and Superhost), I have never felt it necessary to speak on the phone before the actual check-in date. It is however useful to correspond in emergencies by phone once the guest has booked in with you, if needed.

Hope this helps 🙂

Cheers,

Diamond Dave

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Dave-And-Dee0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Hello @Glen-and-Carol0,

Initially you don't have access to a phone number.

All that is really necessary is to respond quickly to messages from Airbnb. This counts towards your Superhost status. So to respond quickly I would download the Airbnb app so you get notifications on your phone.

In my time as a host (and Superhost), I have never felt it necessary to speak on the phone before the actual check-in date. It is however useful to correspond in emergencies by phone once the guest has booked in with you, if needed.

Hope this helps 🙂

Cheers,

Diamond Dave

Thank you. Much appreciated.

April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

@Glen-and-Carol0 with a basic inquiry, airbnb does not provide phone numbers to either host or guest. In fact if you try to send a phone number, a series of numbers that their algorithm deems could be a phone number, or  a website, it will be blocked. Only after a reservation is confirmed do you each receive phone numbers, and have the ability to share links and websites as well

Glen-and-Carol0
Level 1
Albany, Australia

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Simon2627
Level 1
Bolton, United Kingdom

My guest due to arrive from Puerto Rico has given a number that is based in Orlando - what do  I do?

@Simon2627  I don't understand your question. What do you mean "What do I do?"  In what regard? Are you concerned that the guest isn't being truthful about where they are from? 

A guest from Puerto Rico could easily have a number with an Orlando area code. Many phone plans these days make it easy to use the same number in many places. Mexicans may have a phone number from the other side of Mexico than where they currently live, because they moved from there. But since you can call everywhere in Mexico without long distance charges, there's no need for them to get a new local number. There are many US and Canadians who live here most of the year and yet use their US or Canadian number here.

But it is a good idea to make sure the guest's phone number as listed on their account is current, so just ask the guest if it is. I've had a couple of guests who had failed to update their phone number on their account when it changed, so I couldn't phone them.