Guest profile pictures removed

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Guest profile pictures removed

I have been an Airbnb host for many years, but am very concerned to find just now that profile pictures of potential guests are now not being displayed until a booking is confirmed. For me and I am sure many other hosts who welcome guests into our homes it is vitally important to be able to see what a guest is like and make a judgement about their suitability for accommodation within ones home where there may also be children. I am VERY concerned about this decision that seems to encourage 'incognito' travelling, and I cannot continue to offer accommodation unless hosts are able to see a good clear and recognisable profile picture of potential guests BEFORE we accept a new booking.

Withdrawing profile pictures makes selecting our guests a lottery, and takes away from us the ability to exercise choice. This is not what I regard as responsible hosting. I have always valued the vetting process provided by Airbnb but have many times expressed my concern that so many guests seem to seek accommodation with avatar profile images. In my opinion this is an insult to the hospitality offered by hosts. This new decision to hide all profile pictures of guests until after acceptance is not acceptable, because it encourages this incognito invasion of a hosts private home.

250 Replies 250

Is there someone willing to start a petition? I'd sign something like that. 

Though I agree with your sentiments Guy, might suggest you update your own  profile photo.  I wouldn’t allow a 10year old boy to book my house! 

Although AirBnB don’t allow us to see profiles, I think this is also part of the problem....

@Guy304 wrote:

Ah, someone else recommended booking.com. Well done for starting this thread. G

Nightmare!!! i got off there... they allow free cancellations for any reasons.

Nancy968
Level 2
Lakewood, OH

I am extremely uncomfortable confirming  Airbnb reservations without photos of guests. No amount of verification will change that!  You MUST return to that process for  safety reasons!

What we're u thinking  ??? 

I won't be allowing any guest until this changes.
The financial loss for Airbnb will be greater than mine.
May be time for an alternative, political correctness gone mad.
Ridiculous.

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

I have stopped taking all Airbnb guests except people I have had as good guests before. I now use other platforms. One way to overcome the problem is to advertise as two hosts with different names and e-mails. You can still see the prospective guest details from the profile that was not contacted by the prospective guest.

Phil-and-Jennifer0
Level 1
Santa Rosa, CA

Yes, totally agree with your analysis John.  Avatar photos are simply put, dishonest and/or misrepresentations of ones true self, and should not be allowed by Airbnb.

Hello @Phil-and-Jennifer0 

I never accept bookings from guests with an Avatar. I have it in my house rules that they need to provide a clear profile photo of themselves.

If they don't I ask Airbnb to chase them up for a clear image. Guests always then provide it. If they didn't Airbnb would cancel penalty free.

WE totally agree. If we cannot see a clear picture of the potential guest and know something of their background we will not accept. Our weekend home is NOT a never used condo that is rented out to anyone. It is OUR weekend home that other suitable families might want to enjoy. 

What can we do so that we can communicate with the potential guest BEFORE accepting?

@M-11  You are free to message with the guest before accepting.

Rhonda93
Level 3
Hawaii, US

I have found that if I have my notifications forwarded to gmail, any message that they write on ABNB will be forwarded to my email account and I can see their profile picture there.  OR, if they are a host I go in as a guest and can see them. OR I tell them to find me on fb and private message me......