Guest requested to change reservation dates a day before check in

Jess21
Level 10
Austin, TX

Guest requested to change reservation dates a day before check in

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I'm a new host and I don't know how to best handle this situation. I have a guest due to check in tomorrow. Today at noon I sent her a message with the checkin details and to inquire about her arrival time. At 10:30 pm, she responded saying that she actually can't make it tomorrow (Friday) but she wants to arrive Saturday and still checkout on Sunday (her original checkout date). She's asked that I change the reservation to reflect the arrival date of Saturday. I don't know how to handle this because I have a moderate cancellation policy but she also isn't canceling, just changing her reservation. However, it's unfair to me to lose the money because I had a guest ask to extend his stay and I told him he couldn't because I had someone checking in on Friday. I don't have a lot of reviews so I don't want to risk a negative review, but I also want to do what's fair. I'm also a bit worried because I've heard of guests requesting reservation changes and then cancelling so they pay less in the cancellation. How would you handle this and how have you handled this type of situation in the past? Should I just suck it up and refund the money for tomorrow night so that I don't risk getting a negative review? I only have 9 at this time so it would have a big impact, if she chose to do that (I don't have any indication as to whether she would). Thanks for any and all advice!

4 Replies 4

I know that this may be coming a little late, but hopefully it will help in the future if it is. I agree with what you are saying about not wanting a negative review, but you can't let that be the main deciding factor. Your other 9 reviews will speak for themselves because eventually, someone may leave a bad review. You are there to accommodate people to the best of your abilities and provide the service listed, but you are not there to be bullied by negative reviews. This is, first and foremost, a business and should be treated as such. You lost revenue because of her actions and that's not fair. If she leaves a bad review it's not because you were a bad host or had a bad place. And you have the opportunity to reply to what she says. You are still a great host and people will see that.

Thanks for your response. I agree completely. A hotel wouldn't allow a non-fee change 16 hours before checkin so I shouldn't either. I just have to hope the possible bad review won't do too much damage! Thanks again for very needed advice!

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Change nothing in the reservation. Let her arrive a day late as she wants. No trouble at all. If she asks for a refund when she arrives I would offer to refund her half of the night but you won't be able to issue the refund due to blah blah blah until a couple weeks after she leaves. Do not imply that the delay in getting her refund has anything to do with the review. Again do not change the reservation yourself and if she proposes an alteration do not accept it.

Yes she has submitted a change for my approval which gives her a refund for Friday night. I haven't accepted and I told her I would consult Airbnb as a refund less than 24 hours isn't permitted even under the flexible policy. We will see but I think I will do as you suggest and offer a partial refund. If she had given me just a bit more notice, like 3 pm instead of 10pm, I could have let our prior guest extend.