Guest requires a room with an external lock

Answered!
Juan21
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guest requires a room with an external lock

Hello!

I would like to ask if anyone have the same situation than us. Our guest cancel the reservation because the room doesn't have a lock (you can not lock the door when you are not inside of the room).

Should we do something?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Jacqueline506
Level 3
Portland, OR

A host is not always home. Don't expect single women to feel safe in a home with a male guest when no one else is home - they are a stranger! Respect the guest who puts money in your pocket - spend the $10. on the minimum of an inside lock - then again - if she takes a shower and heads back into a room she would like to know no one is in there waiting! Spend $20. for a key lock. If something happened to a woman in your home - don't apologize - it's to late!

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think you should put on a lock. When you have paying guests, the room is their home from home and they need to keep their privacy and they would also need to feel their belongings are safe.  Safety is a very irrational, and if this is a returning issue, a lock should be the answer.

Actually there is a checkbox you can click when managing your listing, titled "Lock on bedroom door". It's in the "Home Safty" section. I would think that the status of this checkbox should be displayed somewhere in the listing, so guests should be able to inspect this before hand. I had guests that didn't care for a lock, and a guest who made me install a lock, even though I didn't have that checkbox checked! I hadn't thought about it before hand, probably because of the implied trust that the review system creates. When I preview my listing, there is no indication on whether there is a lock on the door. So I think this is actually Airbnb's fault. Hosts see the checkbox and assume guests will know what to expect, but the lock status is not visible in the listing, so different guests arrive with different expectations.

If I had to guess why that is, I'd say Airbnb probably doesn't include this in the visible amenities section, from fear that it will turn it into an expected standard. It's tricky, because in some cultures the social fabric is very different and locks are not even used at front doors, let alone bedrooms. Then in other locations they may be considered a standard feature. In any case, not every host would likely be bothered to install a lock if it became an expectation, so it would result into fewer hosts and hence into higher room prices (see supply and demand), which ultimately means less business for Airbnb and a less sustainable business model. So hosts and guests are left to solve that on their own. But it can result in disputes and loss of revenue that platform pacticipants shouldn't have to deal with.

Hi Dimitri

I have been  trying to change the setting of lock on the door, but I couldn't find the way. Do you know after we  the listing is done how we can change it because I can't find the home safety option 

me too. I saw it when first setting up the listing, and have since added a lock. Now I can't find the setting! Any help as to where it is? It is not under any of the Ammenities settings, not even Home Security. Thanks.

Natalie28
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

For UK,its in the amenities section in the individual listing

Rebecca373
Level 2
Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

Hi, I know it has been a long time since this thread. But I was just searching up as I had a review state there was no lock on our door. I quickly replied that this was clearly stated in our listing. Then I went to check and couldn't find it! Thought I was going crazy. I checked when I went to edit the amenities. It is under 'private living room' and above 'shampoo' at the top of the ammenities list (from my account view anyway).

I do agree that this needs to be shown on the listing, like the private entrance with a cross through it if this is the case. I have written it into my listing now so that it is obvious to future guests.

My question about the checkbox is that the guest room at my house has a doorknob lock that you can lock while you're in the room, but not when you leave the room.  (as I think Juan21 said) and I can't decide if I should check that box or not! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is my home. I wouldn't want to put locks on my internal doors.

I only let one room in my home. If the guests don't trust me as their host, then I would prefer if they didn't stay in my home.

I agree with Helen - we have no locks on any internal doors - it's an issue of trust. It's never been a problem and we have all 5* reviews so I can only imagine that reflects the guests' comfort in our home and hosting.

We do have a small safe where we keep our limited valuables so that they are out of temptation's way, but that's it.

As a guest, I don't expect to have a lock on the door either...but other people may differ.

Good for you!! It is our home and we are honest people.

We only let one room.

I wanted a locking guest door just for covering all the bases, but my wife shares the same view as Helen.

I Have come around to that way of thinking too.

I feel the same way Helen. 

Margaret102
Level 3
Saint Louis, MO

I wonder if you all might be able to put yourselves in the place of the guest when thinking about this lock issue. While I realize you are being trusting in allowing people to stay over in your home, the guest doesn't know you, and certainly doesn't know any other guests who might be present (if you rent out more than one room). Asking people to trust people they don't know so much that they are willing to leave their belongings alone in an unlocked room or to actually sleep in a room with the door unlocked seems really unrealiztic to me. I am a woman, and I almost always travel alone. I recently was a return guest in a house I really like, with an awesome host who seems immenently trustworthy. I was in a different room this time, though, and the door didn't lock. There were two other occupied rooms, as well. I didn't know those people at all. I know from hard experience that people who seem just fine can end up to be dangerous. Things could happen, even quietly, that the host might never know about. I work with sexual assault survivors as my professions, and have heard countless stories of a sibling's friend or a relative or other trusted person sneaking into someone's room in the middle of the night and raping someone. Seriosuly, it is not even vaguely ok to just take the position that people "should" trust you and other guests enough to sleep in an unlocked room, and that it's somehow personal to you if they don't want to do that. I didn't get to sleep to two nights I was at the house I just stayed in until 3:30 in the morning, both nights. And I'm an Army veteran with tons of self-defense training. Now I know to always ask this question, but I would not have even thought of it before I had this experience. I would have thought it was required by AIRBNB. 

@Margaret102 thanks for sharing your experience. Staying as a guests is invaluable perspective that should be sought out by all hosts. 

Wht do you and others @Dimitri8@Helen3 @Juan21 @Gerry-And-Rashid0think about individually keyed locks where the guest can lock the room in a shared home while they are not there. I think most people have bedroom locks where they can lock from insured while they are in the room. I would imagine almost no one has locks with separate keys for the room so they can be locked while they are away. I'm assuming this applies mostly to shared homes with multiple rims being rented as I assume even if provided the hos would have a backup key. 

Also do do you think a safety chain or other lock only accessible from the inside should be provided for bedrooms in shared spaces. I rent my whole house and I do have a dead bolt in addition to the keyless entry lock for added security but never thought about putting them on interior doors. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ