Guest's privacy in homes where the host/hostess lives.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Guest's privacy in homes where the host/hostess lives.

Hello everyone, can someone tell me if there's a "rule" that says that a host/hostess can't enter a guests room to access their own items?  My understanding is that it is an invasion of the guest's privacy to do so (and I can see their point) but my problem is that I live there and sometimes need to get things from the room like clothes, shoes, tools, jewellery and linen.  I have done it (when they're not there) but feel that I probably shouldn't be.  Some guests seem to expect that the room is empty aside from the bed, particularly the wardrobe but this simply is not going to happen in my place as I just don't have the room to store things elsewhere.  What experience do other hosts have?

18 Replies 18
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jeanette37I just read a bunch of your reviews. Definitely stop responding to your private feedback publicly. If you want to respond, send a private message. Remember that your responses to feedback are actually to prospective guests, not to the guest who has stayed with you: that ship has already sailed. Your responses make you seem agressive and defensive, and are only going to scare people away.  

Hi, thanks for this.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jeanette37 personally I would never have people staying inside my home. But to ur question...it is invasion of privacy and makes no sense that u have stuff in a room for guest and enter during their stay.. It should be emptied except for what is for guest. If u can't do that... maybe rethink hosting.  

Many of us here read listings n reviews n it would be really good if you realize the image you are putting out there as a host. You are obviously responding to some private comments that guest wrote you and you are responding publically and making your responses so strong, defensive and sometimes pretty ugly. And you rant on and on. I just wondered if you realize that this is surely not helpful for future bookings. Several others had good suggestions. Keep your cool, it will serve you well. 

Hi Clara.  I wish I could think of some alternative to hosting but I need the money as I'm only work part-time and can't increase my hours.  It made sense to me to get some income from my unit as it just costs me in rates, body corporate, etc. and it was about time that it brought me in some money.  I don't have the room in my place to put the things elsewhere.  The room is weather-proof, secure and has the available space for storage.  Cheers.