Guest urinating in backyard

Sara591
Level 1
New York, United States

Guest urinating in backyard

I have a security camera on the front and back doors, and caught on video one of my guests walking outside, dropping her pants, and walking back inside exlaiming "problem solved!".  Do I have any retribution on this?  

a) The property is in a small village.  The backyard is NOT fenced in - and it backs up to other neighbors, some of whom have children.  Any of my neighbors could have seen this behavior if they were simply looking out the window.  

b) It's illegal.  Illegal enough to put people on sex offender registries when caught.  I'm not looking to turn them in, but the severity of the infraction is documentable.  

What are your thoughts?  Obviously I'm going to leave them a bad review with a thumbs down, but should I also fine them?  Take their security deposit ($200)?  If so, what's a reasonable amount of retribution?  I called AirBnB and they said I can ask for money, but wouldn't provide a recommendation on the appropriate range.  

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

In my opinion a deposit is for covering actual damage, not for "fining' a guest due to some unacceptable behaviour.

So unless your gardenplants died because of the unscheduled shower, i think taking money from the deposit is not the right way.

Also you detected this behaviour on camera, not be actual spotting it yourself or by receiving complaints. 

It all about letting your guest know in some way " not to use my backyard as a toilet, please ? "

i was surprised to read  a woman was involved in this, as i experienced this problem myself (incidentally) only with male guests.

Best regards,

Emiel

I agree with Emiel. This is not what your security deposit is for unless she kills your plants or if you need to take other steps to remediate what she did. However, I would send her a message via Airbnb that you caught her urinating in the backyard and that it’s not acceptable behavior. And then, of course, Mention this in her review and give her thumbs down  to keep her from being able to rent from future hosts.This behavior is not an accident. But hopefully you bringing it to her attention will keep her from doing it again during the remainder of her stay

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Sara591 It’s not your job to “punish” the guests for their actions. If it is illegal, it’s a matter for the police - not you. While it was dumb of her to do, no harm came, so go about your life. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

May be the place reminded her of back home I have see this befor my mother neighbor witch I see use her own back yard as toilet first she digs a hole and covers it up