Guests Taking Advantage

Christy88
Level 2
Portsmouth, NH

Guests Taking Advantage

I have a party checking out this morning. They booked it as 4 adults, but I quickly realized there were more people. I sent them a message asking how many people there were and they said 6 adults. The house clearly states a max of 5, with an up-charge for that one person each night. I explained to them that I'd of course not expect the people to leave, however that I'd have to charge extra for those two people, which she was fine with. Now, my check-out clearly states 10am, and she just sent me a note saying that people are still sleeping and that they'd be out by 11am. She didn't ask, she didn't apologize. She stated they'd be taking another hour - didn't even ask if it was OK. So, I wrote back and said thanks for letting me know but to make sure they leave promptly by 11am as I have cleaners coming in. I'm worried about reviews at this point though. I'd like to give them an honest review, but should I just let this one pass? If I don't review her, and if she reviews me, will her review still be public? Also, I clearly state that I have space for two cars, and she had 3-4 cars and said "oh, I didn't realize there was a limit in the # of cars." Not many driveways can even accommodate two extra cars, let alone 4 extra cars, and luckily there's a park-n-ride a very short walk from my house. Any comments/advice is appreciated. Thanks. 

11 Replies 11
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Christy88 🙂

It is very, very, very important to leave an honest review so that the next host are aware of her bringing extra people, being disrespectfull of you and your houserules aka check-out time etc.

She won't be able to read your review before after she has written one for you. 

You should read this :

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-handle-those-difficult-reviews/m-p/298189

Best, Sandra

Thanks! I wrote an honest review. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like the typical entiltled guest. Smile sweetly as you wave them goodbye. But don't biff your fellow hosts by not reviewing these guests. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Totally agree with @Gord3on

Leave your guests a factual review.

Bullet points stating the facts,  so these entitled guests understand this behaviour will not be ignored, but will be commented on and seen by other hosts.

Honesty is the best policy to stop these entitled guests bouncing around from unsuspecting host to host......it’s really not on , for hosts to write a vague review, that is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Thanks!

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Christy88 I forgot to mention that if you want to write a message to me the only way I will get a notification that you wrote a mesaage is to press @ then the names of the persons contribuating will show. There is a bug with the system at the moment so you can only use the down arrow key tab on your computer keyboard. If it makes sense. Sorry for my english 🙂

Also I forgot. Her review will show up after the 14 day review period has ended. No matter if you wrote one or not.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Christy88  Leave an honest review and let other hosts be forewarned. These guests took advantage of you and didn't seem to care. Did they pay the extra guest charge? I hope so, but still they tried to get away without paying and brought in more guests then your listing actually allows. Telling you when they will be checking is the final nail in their coffin, 1* across the board and a thumbs down. XXXXX brought in more guests than booked, was late with check out and did not follow house rules that they were informed of. I would not welcome them back.  

Paul41
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Smile at them as they leave tell them how lovely it was to host them and that they are welcome back anytime. Hope they don’t review you then at the last hours the review period  leave an honest review of their behaviour. 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Christy88

Ugh. How frustrating!

Please leave an honest review. 

I recently hosted a guest who had "okay/wishy-washy" reviews from previous hosts and it wasn't until I actually messaged the other hosts that I realized that they ALL had the same problems with the guy but none of them mentioned specifics or gave him a thumbs down...this allowed him to linger on AirBnB waaay too long as a sub-par guest. 

I made the mistake of not leaving honest reviews and I now regret it. You can't see their review until you post yours or until 14 days has passed.  But you can leave a public rebuttal if they leave a negative one (if they don't, then don't respond).

Be objective and just lay out the facts so hosts and Airbnb will know. Also rate them a thumbs down.

They're rude - case closed.

Christy88
Level 2
Portsmouth, NH

Thank you everyone! I left them an honest, factual review. Hoping it will help somehow!