Guests Who Bring Their Own TV and Small Appliances

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

Guests Who Bring Their Own TV and Small Appliances

Hello Folks,

I'm interested in thoughts from the community about guests that without asking bring their own (a) TV and move the one provided; and (b) small kitchen appliances (like a griller) and stack them on the ones you provided. 

Just looking for thoughts and reactions to this in a longer term stay (a few months) in a basement efficiency apartment.

Thanks!

Karen

11 Replies 11
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Karen307. Just think about it from this perspective: they will not use or damage my appliances, maybe they are dirty and that's why they prefer to use their own things.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4

Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate your positive spin. I'm trying to see a positive. 

I don't think my TV is dirty 🙂 .  Actually, I don't think my stuff is dirty at all (check out my reviews about cleanliness 😉 ).

Their additional appliance is stacked on my microwave. My microwave is practically new and spotless and could be damaged by having other appliances stacked on it. Perhaps the stacked thing will fall off when it is hot and cause damage - or overload my circuit that was designed for only the microwave and the burners. So I don't see any benefit to me by them inserting their additional appliance in my kitchenette. But I'm still looking for one. 🙂 

@Karen307 Wait, I wrote " maybe they are dirty and that's why they prefer to use their own things." I meant "they"=the guests. In no way did I assume you or your place is dirty. 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I would assume that the TV is being used for a gaming system, and so it is preferred to yours.  On the appliance, many people who do per diem travel work collect a handful of "useful" items and bring them so that they KNOW they will be available in their next lodging.  And if they are using their appliance, it's probably so that they don't dirty or add to the wear/tear of your own... since they already have theirs.  

This is odd to me, but then I don't personally do long term stays.  But I used to head hunt therapists and send them on multi month stays, and they had very specific needs when away from home for long periods.  

@Willow3,

Those are good thoughts. I believe it's correct the TV is used with a gaming system and mine was smaller and perhaps not suitable. The TV isn't really a big deal.

The appliance in addition to the ones I provided is perhaps troubling me more as it could overload the circuit if everything is used at the same time (microwave, 2-burners, their thing). I am a little concerned about the safety of stacking cooking items that weren't made for that. Just sort of some thoughts that have occurred to me. I think asking before introducing a new appliance is a good idea.  

The guest is relocating here from another state. 

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Karen307

I karen u shoud not worry that much as others host as point out the TV is probably gaming one with diff setting probably

I honestly would not mind if any long term guests bring some his own appliances to make it more homely 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Karen307

well we have got guests on 4 days and they placed their owen on top of our owen . They were jewish so I think their religion doesn't allow them to use other people's cooking appliances. I didn't say anything but after that I've put in our house rules that it is forbidden.

But, for long term rental I don't care, they can bring their own appliances and if they overload the fuse it will switch off. Of course they are paying electricity bills and I have their security deposit in my hands.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I had a guest who brought an exercise machine into the house. Since then, I added a house rule not allowing a guest to bring large size equipment or whatsoever into the house.

Paula-and-Gill0
Level 4
New Paltz, NY

@Karen307. After looking at your photos, I share your concerns. Placing a grill on top of the microwave to cook is a bit iffy. I see you've taken great care to provide a very clean, organized and versitile space with many conveniences. Well done. However, allow me to offer some thoughts that come from a worrier like me. While the electric 2 burner unit is clever, it may not be the safest either, especially on a wheeled table. As for power usage, I also understand, at my mothers home you can't make coffee and use the microwave at the same time. I would consult with an electrician and ask them how much power could be drawn from that outlet and would a grounded outlet with a built in circuit breaker be safer. This may also be the only time you'll have this situation. If you don't feel the need to make any changes, then talking to your guest my be the simplest solution. 

@Paula-and-Gill0

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

We did just add the kitchenette part of the unit before the guest arrived so he's the first one to use it. Our electrician installed a separate circuit just for the microwave and burners. But I don't think the circuit can handle all 3 things going at once, though.

BTW, we are looking for a  more permanent counter situation for burners, however the cord only goes so far from the wall. I'd hope the guest wouldn't move the cart with the burners going, but you never do know . . .

I'm going to mention the appliance to him as a safety hazard. I'm not really sure exactly what it is, but it shouldn't be stacked on the microwave. I did want some other points of view before raising the concern. 

Thanks all 🐵 

Eric1293
Level 1
Nags Head, NC

what if they bring a portable dialysis machine - and what if the power goes out?