Guests Who Do Not Read Entire Listings

Russell68
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

Guests Who Do Not Read Entire Listings

What can hosts and Airbnb do to  deal with guests who do not take the time to read and understand entire listings?

Sometimes they go on to cancel, ask for refunds, give bad reviews, blame the host etc.

Hosts spend a lot of time wording and rewording their listings.  Do you find it disappointing that some guests only read headlines, prices and a few other words?

91 Replies 91

Also put it in your house rules, which they are agreeing they have READ before booking.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I require prospective guests to confirm with me in writing for myself and for my property insurer that they have read 'Other Things To Note' (where I list important items like no washer or dryer, lots of stairs, etc) and my 'House Rules'. They also must confirm that they agree to *abide* by my House Rules. I even have all this written in my summary and other places in my listing but I still have to point all this out to them when they book - So clearly they did not read my listing or my House Rules, even when they sign off with Airbnb indicating that they did. They look at reviews and photos, primarily. It is very rare I find someone who read the listing before booking. 

I do believe that their having to confirm in writing that they have read everything and agree to abide by my rules does result in them taking a closer look at my guest requirements and I have weeded a few people out this way who were planning on bringing pets, children, etc, without telling me. 

@Rebecca0 That's a great way to deal with guests who do not read your description.

Agreed. As both hosts and also frequent guests, I have seen hosts ask us to insure we read details, etc. We have not had to do this yet as hosts, but it is a smart move. Sadly just seems necessary in a day when people don't read details ( I mean, how often do we get inquiries asking what we have already plainly spelled out?!) As a caveat, though, I must admit than when traveling I look at a minimum of 10 places, narrow it down, then we both look at what we will eventually choose.....and it is easy to forget details. Having good pictures with HELPFUL captions is huge, also.

Our 2 listings clearly says " Street Parking Only" but very often guests would call us upon their arrival at the property and would ask "where do we park"?!?!?!?

We also mentioned on Airbnb that we don't provide such amenities like cooking pots and pans but still we get some guests responding suprisingly like " we couldn't find any cooking pans in the kitchen?!?!?!

Clearly some of the guest don't read entire property details!

What is sad about is that some of these guests do end up leaving negative reviews.

We called Airbnb time to time regarding these reviews but not much of anything to be done from their end with reivews written that does not violate the terms and regulations etc.. says Airbnb customer service.

But clearly bad reviews does effect our profile and our business.

My question  is shoud we accept these reviews because the guest didn't read?? 

Airbnb review team needs to look deeper into this matter and I am sure other host/s probably have same if not similar situation.

Liz450
Level 1
Stewarton, United Kingdom

I totally agree that airbnb need to  come up with some way of not punishing hosts if they are  given a bad review because the guest has not bothered to read the directions and consequently cant find their way into my home. Another example is a guest complaining about not having a cooker, only a microwave, when it is made clear in my listing that if they require the use of something more than a microwave they are very welcome to use my kitchen.

Some of the problem is guests only using the sat nav and google maps instead of reading the listing in full. I dont know how to solve these problems but i wish someone would!

Can you write another review explaining the situation?

Thanks for your input, @Kat-and-Marwan0.  I do not mind losing bookings if I am uncomfortable with some requests.  I find that asking a few basic standard Airbnb questions will give me a flavor of the guest's nature, personality etc.  For me, the income is not worth potential hassles and unfair bad reviews.  Hosts accept large risks by welcoming people they have never met into their homes. 

I encourage hosts to avoid being overeager to accept requests.

I thinkmany of us hosts get frustrated with a billion $$ business like AirBnB that does not always take us seriously ( their bread and butter).  I  can only recommend be sure to leave a RESPONSE indicating you are sorry they did not read you had no pots and pans, etc. you are not sorry you don't have them, you are sorry THEY did not read it.... anyway, if we all continue to actually message AirBnB and bot just talk only in the Community, we can affect positive change,

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

Use pictures! Guests tend to skim lengthy guidelines and rules.  

In my welcome letter I would mention the possibilty of snow on the road to our ski lodge.  In the next paragraph, suggest where they could put on chains. 

Guests would still say, "You should warn guests that there might be snow on the road." (You are driving to a ski area, shouldn't you expect snow?)

I took a photo of a snow capped sign saying something like "Caution, limited maintenance, winter driving conditions"

Fixed, no more complaints.  

You could write text on your photo of an open empty cupboards, saying "no pots or pans."

Good idea!

PERFECT! Agree completely with pictures, and helps with language issues, too ( we have a small TV and had a few complaints until we ADDED a picture showing the room and TV on, etc....it is a recreational area where most do not care about tv).

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

As a matter of course I tell newly approved (or pre-approved) guests to read the entire description to make sure that it fits what they want.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Almost nobody reads anything any more... we are living in very fast and superficial world today 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 wrote:

Almost nobody reads anything any more... we are living in very fast and superficial world today 🙂

Thanks for your input @Branka-and-Silvia0  Rapid clicking aroung the net is part of the problem. 

I find it hard to understand how people would not want to read every word about a place they are requesting to live in and people they are going to live with.