Guests are not paying outstanding amount...

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Guests are not paying outstanding amount...

A guest from an Asian country booked my room 10 days ago. Her initial reservation indicated "one adult," but I saw in her messages that she would be coming with her daughter, who was also an adult. 

So I confirmed with her about the number of guests and reminded her to modify her booking, which she did. 

Shortly after that, I received an Airbnb email notifying the reservation alteration and payment adjustment. I saw the email on my cell phone and I wanted to give her an immediate reply, so I clicked "approve."

Then the Airbnb system showed the alteration was successful. I was not aware of any unsuccessful transaction between her and Airbnb. 

I called Airbnb. I believe they have contacted the guest, reminding her to pay the outstanding amount, but it's been 1.5 days, and there is still no response. 

Her payment is still pending, and they checked out 4 days ago. I'm not sure how Airbnb is going to solve this problem. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

4 Replies 4
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huaai0

Airbnb only notifies you if payment doesn't go through.

Unfortunately, that's not true. 

We are super hosts and have had no issues with payment until our last guests.  They stayed 3 nights and left over a week ago and we have still not been paid.  We were never notified that the payment was delayed and after noticing that we were not paid in a timely manner, we have called and e-mailed Airbnb customer "service" several times.  They will only provide vague answers (e.g. we didn't get the full amount from the guest, we're looking into it, give us 3 days and we'll get back to you, etc.).  Why is it our fault if they did not collect the money they should have and why weren't we notified prior to the guest checking in?!?

If Airbnb wants us to be completely removed from handling the financial transaction, they need to take responsibility for doing so.  Whether or not they "remembered" to collect the full amount of money from the guest, the guest stayed at our home, used our services and we should be paid the full amount while Airbnb works it out on their end.  The utility companies, cleaning company and manager aren't going to wait for their money while Airbnb "looks into it"!

@Joseph-And-Mitch0

That's strange.

Never heard that one before with a confirmed reservation  during guest's stay that wasn't cancelled and unexpectedly refunded.

And I suppose you also didn't receive the email stating that funds had been transacted.

Try getting their attention with a short Twitter message about not being paid and no information forthcoming.

@Joseph-And-Mitch0 I hear you. The same here. Airbnb has not released the amount that they have collected. I wonder if they are going to hold if forever? Basically, I have provided my service and I have received ZERO in payment. It has been a week now.