Guests asking us to claim for items stolen by third party

Answered!
Sophie316
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guests asking us to claim for items stolen by third party

Our first Airbnb hosting experience has not ended very well.  On our guests second night of a two night stay they left the flat in the evening and returned in the early hours of the morning to find the flat had been broken into.

All their electronic items (iPads, laptops, Kindles etc) have been stolen. Items that we had locked away in another room have also been taken (again all electronics, jewellery and cash). As well as damage to the property. 

The guests were great: They contacted the police, filed a report and secured the property before staying in a hotel.  They contacted us. All was as well as can be. 

I have offered to refund the night they didn't stay in the flat because I do deeply sympathise with situation.  But they are now asking us to claim for their missing items. We have submitted an insurance claim from our contents insurer for our belongings but we are unable to claim for theirs, as obviously they do not belong to us. 

I am being told that they have read articles and researched similar cases, in which it appears that the host has helped claimed stolen items. Because  "...airbnb provides a generous protection package for hosts and you may be able to include our stolen items through airbnb or your homeowners insurance." 

Has anyone had a similar experience? I would be grateful for any help/feedback.  I feel really sorry for them that this has happened but we are also badly affected (if not worse off) and I don't feel like we should be liable for the fact they do not have their own travel insurance. 

1 Best Answer
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You are not responsible.

At least in the U.S., you are not responsible for criminal acts of others.

For that matter, you have no proof that your guests did not steal your stuff.

You were not negligent, you had a lock on your door.

Let guest work with Airbnb and guests' insurance to recover their loss.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10

is crime rate in uk that bad??

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You are not responsible.

At least in the U.S., you are not responsible for criminal acts of others.

For that matter, you have no proof that your guests did not steal your stuff.

You were not negligent, you had a lock on your door.

Let guest work with Airbnb and guests' insurance to recover their loss.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnb does not provide a generous protection package and does not insure Guests belongings, something they need to claim against their own Insurance.

There is the Host Guarantee but that is of arguable value and in any event would not cover this situation.

There does seem an opportunity for AirBNb to sell travel insurance as an add on, not something they do at the moment.

Unless things have changed every other advert on the Tube is for Travel Insurance.

David
Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

We get suppies for our let from Out of Eden in the UK. They do Hotel style safes. Have a look at their website

Where our let is outside Windermere, the Police say there is no crime at all

No, do not do this.  If they want to be covered, they need to  place their own claim with Airbnb for the theft.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0

How do they do that, where does it mention that AirBnb insure Guests personal effects?

David

Not saying that Airbnb will @David126 - but the guest needs to pursue their own insurance claims and if they want to do that with Airbnb, they need to do that on their own.  At a minimum, Airbnb will counsel those folks to pursue a claim against their own homeowner/renter insurance.  Those guests will have to provide proof of purchase and ownership, something the host does not have, so they need to act on their own behalf.  

Honestly, the Host Guarantee does not insurance against third-party theft at all if you read the terms.  Even the host will not be covered by Airbnb for someone breaking into their home.  The insurance companies will need to duke this out for who will pay for the coverage if at all.   

Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

What a shame! Ask your insurer if guests items are covered but if they are not then there is nothing you can do. You can't get too involved as it is not your fault. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sophie316

@David126 is correct. Airbnb (if they cover anything at all)  will only cover the hosts property, and they will require evidence of your ownership. It is up to guests to have their own travel insurance. It's no different to being on a cruise ship! If you are on a Holland America Line ship and you get robbed, you don't have a claim against HAL, you claim on your travel insurance. Even if the robbery was by HAL staff you still would not get coverage by the shipping line.

The problem here is people are expecting Airbnb to be all things to all people, and they clearly are not!

I have two massive deterents.....I have a safe that is securely bolted to the listing structure and I have a dog who has the bark from hell if a stranger comes around the property.

If a guest loses something from here, they either took it themselves or they left it out the front of the property to be taken! There are no other alternatives!

This is terrible luck Sophie but unless you personally left the property unsecured you are not responsible!

Cheers....Rob

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If this happened to me I would just suggest they contact AirBNB direct using the telephone number on their confirmation.

In this case, and I would assume as most guests are budget travellers this would be normal, there is no Insurer never mind several to duke it out.

David