Guests brought a dog - no pets allowed

CariandNate0
Level 4
Lafayette, CO

Guests brought a dog - no pets allowed

Hi there -

Anyone have experience with people who bring pets when the listing clearly states that pets are not allowed?  Ours has it listed (or crossed out) in the ammenities, it says no pets in the house rules (there are only 5 and one is "have fun" - how could they miss "absolutely no pets"), and in a photo caption...

I'm not sure how to handle as they seem totally surprised to hear that we're upset about the dog.  They say they searched by for a pet friendly listing and that's how they chose ours (impossible). 

Thoughts?  They've already left so not much we can do now... just trying to figure out how to avoid in the future.

Thanks!

94 Replies 94

I'm glad you don't allow pets. I'm tired of getting bit by dog or cat mites, sheet with animal hair and etc. Most people think just because they think their animal doesn't smell to them, that they are clean. Not true, you take them outside in the grass or where ever to crap or urinate, and walk thru other animals crap. Then bring that mess, fleas. Mites, ticks and whatever else into the hotels.
Motel 6 was a nightmare. Then they tell you to bring your own sheets...which I do anyway, but why put your sheets on a infested bed? Put those people and their animals on the top floor along with smokers. Keep 2 floors open for clean people. We can't keep walking around taking benadryl, while trying to enjoy what is suppose to be a relaxing time.
Dorothy97
Level 1
California, United States

Lol.  Wow.  You poor thing.

One of my concerns is what the guest's plan for the pet is. As a former landlord there have been plenty of situations where the pet is abandoned in the place while they go on their happy merry. The poor pet is set for 12 hours a day without company or relief.  And it's amazing how vacant they are when you ask specifics. You don't get into many events with a dog, for example.

Once you get past the complaints from others, you now face the extra cleaning and possible damage.

And the very real concern of a health risk if your next guest is allergic. Including anaphlactic shock. I hope you have epipens, because you said you had a pet free facility.l

Here;s the truth.

Most hotels do not allow guests. Air people know this. But they don't want to shell out for dog accommodation. And they don't have plans for it. They just cart it along to save money and dump it on you.

Out. Now. Even in the middle of the night. I cannot, and will not, risk the safety and peace of mind of another guest. And I really hate being lied to.

I am also very frustrated with this. The alternative a guest had last night was to leave the dog in the car during their stay after they got caught trying to sneak it into my home. The worst part was Airbnb, who I called right away, told

me they were dealing with it. Two hours later of me calling repeatedly to find out the airbnb support person is out of office. Eventually  the friends with the dog left. It was this and Airbnb telling me my other option lol to give them a refund.  

Maybe don't stay in a place that accepts pets if it bothers you so much? It isn't as if there are a ton of places to allow pets to begin with.

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

@CariandNate0

Good advice already given, I would agree, in the listing itself add a sentence "Absolutely no pets allowed, sorry." And I would also be sure to include that in a message to all inquires and booked guests.

I am assuming you are fairly new to Airbnb (sorry if I am wrong): a significant number of guests just do not read the information in the listing, and/or just make assumptions. You could probably put in capital letters "I like to sneak into guests rooms at night and steal their money and jewelry, I also keep a number of venomous spiders that I allow free run of the house." and still get bookings. So just be aware of that 😄

Having said that, I would encourage all hosts to consider pets. It is becoming quite the norm in the hotel industry now. There are even a number of chains that are becoming well known because they allow pets. You will notice in most US cities now that new appartment buildings not only allow pets, but go out of their way to advertise it. Where I live in Los Angeles most new apartment buildings have dog walks, pet parties etc.... It is just becoming normal to travel with pets. I can certainly tell you that if you are not allowing pets, you are missing out on a significant number of Airbnb guest inquiries. 

My Airbnb listing is a yacht. Several inquiries have asked about bringing a dog (NO DOGS!). The logistics would be a nightmare (not to mention the other difficulties with doggy business). 😬

@Kelly0 - I respectfully disagree that we should consider allowing pets. Each host can decide what is acceptable in their own space. Airbnb rentals are, precisely, not hotels. They are people's homes and so it's perfectly acceptable to not allow pets (or smoking, or large groups, or or or).

Am not a new host - 100+ rentals in less than two years and lot of trips as guests too. We're booked nearly every weekend with extra bookings during many weeks in between -- seems like the no pet thing isn't a handicap.

To each their own.

We have a "NO PETS" NO SMOKING" policy 

No one's every begged to be able to smoke before booking, but many have asked to bring pets.  

I say "no" explaining that for those who might be allergic to dander, that would constitute a problem, and that i, in good conscience could no longer claim "no pets"   - STILL  - i had a coverlet ruined, that could only have happened if an animal with claws had been pulling the threads on it.   

If you have the chance to meet the people arriving with pets, i would remind them of the NO PETS policy, and recommend to them where they can board the pet for the nite.. It then becomes their "problem" - remember that house rules ARE shared with guests when they book and receive their itinerary, in fact they are asked to check that they've read everything, as far as i know.

Did you keep any of their security deposit?  I am dealing with the same situation this weekend and I'm not sure what to do.  The guests haven't left yet so I don't know if there is any damage.  However, dog hair, dog poo, dog whatever is surely in my house and yard, and that seems worthy of keeping a deposit.  It is upsetting that someone would bring a pet into your home without asking, even if you do allow pets!

@Maria535

If you are taking it from the sec deposit be sure to document it (take pictures of any damage, or poo) and request it ASAP after check out. Hotels frequently charge between $30-100 extra per stay as an additional cleaning fee for guests with pets, so certainly anything in that range would be sort of a "best-practices" norm. And of course if there is any actual damage, that would be additional. 

What security deposit? I require a $300 deposit but more and more, I find that Airbnb doesn't care about the host. I had someone check out today and the cleaning company charged me extra for cleaning up after the animal. That is a DAMAGE and a possible health risk to a future guest. Airbnb want to know about physical damage. 

My house rules are clear and I cover pets twice. I also ask guests not to book unless they read the house rules. 

2. Pets are NOT allowed. Service pets are permitted with prior approval and the Pet Addendum must be completed.

PETS: Pets are not permitted in or on the property without written permission. Bringing a pet without authorization forfeits your deposit and you will be asked to check-out early without a refund.

I really don't know how much clearer I can be

Mine rules state the same, NO Pet I had guest sneak in dog this weekend , I didn’t see dog but I could hear him on door bell camera by front door everytime  they open door , heard a dog bark .. my rules say I can do walk though check for pets if suspect , dumb me text them I was coming 10min ride , I go & check no dog .. I should of never text her I was on my way because she was not in the house only husband so she slipped away with dog .. I called Airbb rules say 500$ Will be charged if we find pets over night .. with only cameras when open door Dog barks I can use the video send to Airbb and they will decide if it’s enough proff to charge 500$ I’m waiting to find out now 

Totally agree ! I am a dog owner but do not allow pets in my rental and my own dogs are not allowed in it either  . It’s your home so you set the rules !  

Well, actually, it is a handicap. We used to be no pets listing. We were, like yourlsef, booked very weekend, solid. Then someone dumped the dog on our property and the rest is history. Now we allow pets.... and we are booked 60 days a month (2 listings). Crazy jump in bookings that we would have never known about if we did not adopted that dumped dog that we call our Airbnb dog since that all happen on the very first night of our hosting 🙂