Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

Answered!
Bert0
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

When I send my guests the combination to the front door lock of my home, I include check-in and check out times - in bold. These times are continually ignored. Today, I had guests arriving (My posted check-in time is 4PM) - when I went over to the house at noon to put a garage door opener on the kitchen counter - they were already there. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you did this at a hotel, they would charge you. I feel like charging people who ignore my check-in times, but am not sure how to do that. 

Advice is appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45

Wow. It is amazing to hear the stories of bad behavior on the part of some guests.

(It is good to know these people are very much the exception. Otherwise, this behavior would put one off of hosting for sure.)

We are lucky enough to be able to use the smart locks that have a programmed start and end time, so the guest really cannot unlock the door too early.

Yes, the smart locks can cause problem too, but if the smart locks can prevent these early check-in guests... then maybe the trouble is worth it.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Bert0

Early check-in, how about late check-in I don't have the luxury of keys code systems, I have to wait for my guests to arrive, 75% of the time they come as scheduled but the rest can leave you waiting for hours.

My worst so far was a ten hour wait, the check-in time was 15:00hrs they arrived at 01:00hrs the next morning only letting me know their ETA at 21:00 hours and by the way "would I put the kettle on boil" as you can imagine I ignored that request!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Kristan3
Level 1
Luling, TX

I just had a guest check in at midnight.  Got a message that “we are here”. What, huh, why?!?  They aren’t supposed to check in until 3pm the following day!  They definitely pulled a fast one on me especially when they asked several times when “check out” time was and also changing their reservation from one day to two days when I corrected them.  Now I have them here for three nights.  What do I do?!?  I’m really not happy with the situation and would love to ask them to just leave now.  😑 HELP!

@Kristan3  Your listing does state check in is "anytime after 3 PM" so the guest checking in early for the first date of the booking and you should charge them for the extra day.  Probably a better idea to have a check in window and negotiate if a guest needs to check in outside the window.

It is not uncommon for a host to take guest misbehavior too personally but it is best to just react with a shake of your head and a neutral response.  Message the guest with something like, " I am glad I was able to accommodate your very early arrival (midnight ____) however due to your check in at midnight the first day of your reservation rather than after 3 PM as noted on my listing, I will be sending you a request for the fee for the extra night.  Please accept as soon as possible.  Failure to do so will trigger a cancellationof your current reservation.  Thank you for your quick response and I hope you have a wonderful stay."

Good luck and keep us posted as to how this turns out.

Thank you.  Yes I did take it personally, it blows my mind after reading thru threads how many people take advantage of others kindeness.  I made several changes to how I will host moving forward.  Really appreciate the help, only thing that bothers me about sending a request is that they are in my home and I fear damage to my propert and/or an ugly confrontation. 

@Kristan3  I understand.  Learning when and how to confront is a skill that you develop over time.  Hopefully you will not just count on the "kindness of strangers" but feel it appropriate and professional to confront when a guest is not meeting your expectations.  If you accept the improper behavior you might feel crummy about both them and yourself.  I have learned to confront in a way that assumes the best of the guest and that all they need is to be advised, for example, "you are new to Air BNB and perhaps did not understand the way this platform works, so let me help."

Are these guests staying more than a day or two?  If so, your leniency with the check in might be a signal that anything goes and you will end up with more problems.  Even if you do not decide to send a request for the additional night, it would be good to memorialize that you have given them something of value in a message in which you state you are waiving the additional night fee.  

Shona50
Level 1
Islandmagee, United Kingdom

you should charge them for a extra night accommodation they know that they are pulling a fast one or suggest they book into the nearest hotel and explain their situation that their accommodation is not avaible until 3pm   and I am sure (not) they would give they a free night

Send a money request thru Abnb for the 3rd night.  I f they dont pay it youcan get them in your review.

Tabitha10
Level 2
Stillwater, OK

Thank you all for the ideas and stories.  I was just trying to figure out how to deal with this today.  I have a guest with whom I had a long discussion about early arrival and my inability to guarantee room availability unless they booked the night prior.  I offer a late checkout time for guests' convenience since I am usually at work and set check-in for 5p so I have a few hours to change over the room.  When someone wants to come earlier than other guests check out, I can't guarantee availability.  After explaining this to the guest, he changed his reservation to the day before original with no further discussion.  I am thinking this is going to be great and as I always do contacted him the morning of arrival to confirm schedule and what to expect.  During that conversation he states that he will be arriving early (as originally discussed) except that early check-in will be today (not the day/time we had discussed).  It is frustrating because I will need to take an extended lunch break and try to get the house ready (room was set up for a couple's brief stay and needs furniture changed out [cot removed and small desk returned]).  I am fortunate my work is flexible, but it will mean a really late night at the office and no handing out Halloween candy tonight.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I had unexpected early check in today, first in 41 hosted. Good luck for th guest that I was at home and decided to ask who is there just by curiosity:)  I was still in cleaning process so she got only the key and my greetings. I dont like those who are demanding early check in. Why not to look at listings that provide check in at convenient time for them? 

Not disagreeing but you should also think of how guests shop/plan trips. It is not like we have tons of options for flights and lots of free time as tourists esp. given how few days some companies give us for vacation days. Most hotels are 2:00pm check in and they will even let you in earlier. To get more 5 star reviews, it is not a bad idea to have a reasonable check in/check out time. 4pm is way too late for check in for example ( not sure what yours is, just talking in general). Also AirBnb search does not show the check in time easily, nor let's you specify check in times. AirBnb wants you to book and deal with it, but they should make check in time easy to see if it is unusual (later than 2pm). Just to confirm, I just did a search and it is towards the very bottom, and if you are trying to find a place and looking at 10 places, it becomes a pain in the rear. 

Your point is well taken, @Evrim4.  I think the issue for me is mutual agreement.  Unlike a hotel in which there is staff 24/7, with Air BNB you are entering into someone's home and life, if you choose a listing that is private room as opposed to entire apartment/house.  If check in time is paramount to your trip, then you should opt for the most flexible situation which is either self check-in or hotel.  

Totally. I wish AirBnb had an option to search by check in hour. That way guests can't feign ignorance and also people like me can search a more compatible option easily. Cheers.

Evrim4
Level 2
Portland, OR

Some horror stories here!!! I can see how a host would be annoyed on some of these posts for sure.

I am not siding with anyone but personally, I think 4pm is way too late and many guests would consider it unfriendly and unreasonable.  Think of it this way - you are flying to a place as a tourist to tour, you have 4 days and you can't start your day at all since you can;t even drop off your bags. It is a recipe for bad reviews. 

As for the original poster saying a hotel would charge you, I travelled a ton and I do not think I was ever charged for arriving early - they might not have a room, but most of the time I was let in as early as noon. I think as a guest we should check with the host to make sure it is ok though. But changing your check in time to a bit earlier might not be a bad idea. 

It is one of the reasons I will start looking at hotels first and AirBnb later as a guest from now on. 

I would recommend a more guest friendly option to avoid (Again, not saying the guests were right in a particular case or not).

I am dealing with this right now where the host (after paying them $1500) wants $10 so I can drop off my suitcase 30 minutes early for a 4pm check in.  He was also way late to respond (took 10 days I believe). It does not make me likely to leave a good review.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I can't agree with your thoughts @Evrim4

Check in for hotels and many self catering places is often 3 p.m. so a 4 p.m. check in is pretty standard.

Guests don't see it as unfriendly or unreasonable. Reasonable guests understand that when you have a same day turnaround where guests aren't leaving till 11.00 a.m. or later it's perfectly reasonable allowing for cleaning and preparation of the listing.

Not all guests are tourists by any means, but there are lots of left luggage places a guest can use if they choose to arrive at a destination before their accommodation is available.

Doesn't sound like you have a great host, but if it's only half an hour just go for a coffee.

You are right if you want hotel style facilities then it sounds like staying at a hotel would work better for you.