Guests who don't read what they're getting, then blame me

Ellen54
Level 2
Red River, NM

Guests who don't read what they're getting, then blame me

I should learn... Twice now someone has asked to book one of my yurts at the last minute. I comply because of their urgency. THEN they start to realize that this is CAMPING, that it is a hike (or mountain bike ride) into the yurt, that they must supply bedding, or that I am not on site, which is why I email detailed instructions. They always respond angrily, telling me how terrible I am and threaten me with a negative review, even though I urge potential guests to read all the information before booking (in a couple of places) and tell them all of the above in my listing. One person bullied me into refunding the Airbnb fee ($2 in this case), even though I felt I was not at fault since she failed to read. Aything. At all. Apparently. I intentionally made it so people cannot book with a conversation so it is always the last minute guests who get me. What should I do? 

11 Replies 11
Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

Change the language in the section " about the listing" from what you have to  "This is CAMPING (we call it “glamping”), not a hotel room. There is no room or maid service. A wood stove provides heat. You must provide your own sleeping bag (at least 30º or colder rating recommended), pillow, food, drinking water and transport (hike or mountain bike in summer) to yurt."

You put this language at the very bottom on your description. I had to look for it knowing what I am looking for. For some travelers or those using mobile, it is not that easy to find this language. 

@Ash-and-Dasha0 @Ellen54 

Great advice for About the listing, says it all.  

I would also add  -  "You cannot drive right to the yurt. You must provide your own "human-powered" transport (hike or mountain bike in summer)"  and I would add the distance.  Some CAPS might be in order to keep people's attention and highlight important details.  I find short imperative sentences work best, they demand a shorter attention span:)

Thanks! I moved the language about camping (and hiking) up. Photos are a good idea so I can add those as well. I already have a saved vetting message in which I double check to make sure they understand what I am offering. With guests who plan ahead of time, this works well. Sooooo... twice bitten and all that — I will avoid last minute guests from now on!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Do not take last minute guests?, I like the idea another host had about having something at the end of your listing that they need to quote so you know they read that far.

List in your description in accordance with their importance. So this would be at the top.

David
Jill92
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

People have serious issues reading anything more than 3 - 4 words.... add pics and put a text under it: this is the road to the camping, this is where you can make your woodfire etc. pics still do not solve the problem that people do not want to read and often only go for price and availability but it helps!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

My place is a bit like yours, @Ellen54 - hike in, camping, bring-your-own-sleeping bag. I have to have the conversations ahead of time, like you, and not everyone reads. They don't tend to get angry or bullying, so I'm sorry you have to deal with that. They tend just to drop the enquiry with "not possible" once the cold reality sinks in, which saves everyone grief. Last-minute has been fine here; sometimes fantastic guests come last minute on their way through. But if those are your problem guests, you might have to set your availability to disallow same-day bookings, and then stand firm. I can't imagine anyone urgently requiring a yurt. (And then not realizing it is camping. Makes you shake your head, I bet.) You have lovely reviews, so you are doing everything right.

Perhaps we could petition Airbnb for a feature that reads aloud to those guests who don't like to read the listings themselves? 🙂

@Ellen54- You take suggestions very well. Just read your listing. It is now VERY clear about the distance and hiking and what to expect. Keep it up!

Paul229
Level 3
Santa Barbara, CA

A picture is worth a thousand complaints...

Photo of trail with discribtion on actual pic or copy below showing trail distance.

Photo of hiking camper with back pack and sleeping bag...etc.

Have your listing photo show a hiker with a backpack and sleeping bag on top, walking next to a person pushing a mountain bike with loaded panniers.  With the yurt in the distance.  And rename it Camp Faraway.

I typically send this Saved Vetting Message (again NO MORE rush jobs for last-minute bookers for me!):

Because we do get some inquiries from folks who imagine a hotel room or an RV-park-type arrangement, I always double check to make sure you are fully aware that this is camping (albeit more luxuriously than in a tent) with no running water (we do leave water out there for you to cook with and drink) and no bathroom, just a portable toilet.

Your heat is provided by a wood-burning stove. There is a propane lantern, cook stove and kitchen items. You must bring your own bedding and you will need a sleeping bag for cold temperatures.

Also, it is a 2-mile hike/bike to the Long John Yurt.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks!
Ellen

Joanie5
Level 2
Quebec, Canada

I have a similar problem and it's not because I don't put the language in there right up front.

They don't read the description at all - and then they complain that it's not close enough to downtown or whatever.

They don't read any of the further info  - and then they complain that it's hard to find parking. I am SO clear about

parking it's not even funny. I explain it totally, and then I explain it again when I get the booking, and again when

they get here. It's like it goes in one ear, and out the other.  It's very similar with the rules. I explain to the guests

to make sure to lock the side door, I have it written on the rules - which are very few, and right in front of them as

then enter the place; they clearly ignore them, because they leave that door unlocked ALL the time, putting the

place at risk for theft or break in. It happened again this morning.  I explain to them very, very clearly, in easy

language what to do with dirty towels and sheets.  Do they listen? Noooooooooo. They leave the place a

pigsty. I even had some recent guests who just decided to leave their luggage in the place all day, way past check out,

leave the place an absolute disaster - they didn't get back until almost 5 p.m which is my check IN time, not check out.

It cost me a cancellation because I did not have time to clean that place (it ended up taking well over 4 hours) for a new

guest check in, and there you go.  And AirBNB does not really help you.  So I really am at a loss as to what to do with people

like these.  Some people of course are lovely.   But I don't know how to get people who have no intention of paying attention

to anything, how to do so.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.