Guests who want to stay for free

Guests who want to stay for free

Okay, this is getting tiresome, the lack of AirBnB support for hosts, but please can AirBnB just delete a whole load of profiles who don't deserve to be on the platform, or at least make government ID mandatory? I have had several now requests for free accomodation, in return for some mention on social media (x amount of followers), or for some "professional photos" of my villa, or some such service in return for a free stay. Needless to say, all were politely declined, though why I should be polite is another matter. I report the message/users etc, but hey, I figure it is of no use. Another frequent scam is guests looking to take one room, but wanting the host to leave! "To ensure total privacy". Now I have to roll around laughing. Yes you read that correctly, guests basically wanting to kick the host/owner out of their own property. LOL

32 Replies 32

@Monika64 Going out on a limb, I can understand allowing people to create an account with just an email address. But seriously!!! At the very least, people who want to book a listing should absolutely positively be required to have government ID. I also think the profile pics should be larger and better quality. A lot of the pics are so blurry. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Unfortunately I see even hosts with profile pix of piglets, dogs, landscape, icons, etc. you name it. So this has to be fixed on both sides. On lot of pix the people are so small it's absolutely impossible to make it out whether it is a male or female. 

Airbnb policy is that you need an actual picture. They are obviously not following up with this 😞

yes, 100% free users on cs. they think they are some super stars that you should give everything for free just to have the honor to host them in your property.

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@David146 Unfortunatelly as tiresome as they are these $tup!d requests (um ... people, didn't want to really say it but that's what I mean) will not go away 😞 I agree with @Robin4, aprove them BUT clearly state it in the Airbnb chat that you'll not honor their requests. I started to have saved messages for the most offen asked weird questions, I just put them in the chat and send it, done it 3 seconds. At least this way you don't have to spend too much time dealing with them.

Katherine121
Level 2
Ribchester, United Kingdom

I have just received a request from a women and her FRIEND to spend the day in my home to FRESHEN UP.  AIRBNB need to vet people better it is obvious to me what this person and her FRIEND wanted my room for as reported on radio BBC2 some time ago.  Hosts beware.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@David146

Take it as a compliment - those freebee hunters would not request any old dump 😉

Send them a special offer for some ginormous amount and they will hopefully take the hint without too much effort on your part.

Happy to find this thread. I got 2 requests in the last 45 days.I reported them.... I am dissapointed to hear that airbnb will do nothing about them...They are basically asking to stay for free.. and they really bother me... With all the info they give, it is possible to contact them sidestepping airbnb... They are just using airbnb to get to people and their homes.... 

1st email: " I’m a social media influencer in Canada (Quebec, Ontario). I have 26K followers on Youtube (near 1 millions views) and 15,5K followers on Instagram. My travel partner, [name hidden], is a blogger and have 14,5K followers on Instagram too. Our subscribers are mostly between the ages of 18 and 24, interested in travelling and exploring. My videos consist of capturing the highlights of my travels and personal appreciation and critics of the places I visit and the activities I get the chance to take part of. I am currently planning my next trip to Aruba, between July 31th and August 6 and I’m looking for a place to live while I will create content there. ...
I was wondering if you would be interested to collaborate with me. It would be a pleasure for me to take Instagram photos of your place and take videos. Also, [name hidden] blog could post some links of your place with great quality pictures ...."

2nd mail:"I’m writing to you about our upcoming visit to Aruba. My husband and I are Americans and we document our travels on our Instagram, Tripadvisor, (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN), (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) and our website. We have almost 100,000 followers and we also own a travel page on (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) with over 3200 members. Our following is growing quickly as we have very interactive fans. We like to highlight our travels around the world, and our audience is based primarily in the Americas and Europe. We give people advice and recommendations when they are planning a trip. My husband is a level 5 Tripadvisor member."

**[Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

@Mariza

If you have the time, ask them how they earn their living and if their expenses are tax deductible, and by offering them free accommodation will that have an income tax implication for either party, also ask them, do they cover their own traveling expenses and are they any good with a paint brush as your thinking of refresthing you garden shed, add as many nonsensical questions as you can possible muster to create a boiler plate reply for any further free-loader requests.

Look on the bright side, think of the fun you could have composing this reply, I know I would.

I suspect, like most free loaders anything that involves effort will send them packing but not in your direction hopefully!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

I've received these too! And if we don't respond it affects response rate. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Mariza0

Just pre approve them and flag their profile, you can also put them on ignore, a new function recently added.

I personally like pre approving.

David

thanks for the idea... 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I get these constantly from the freeloaders to the major national and international newspapers, news media and publications. All the legit ones (including Airbnb) were most willing and offered to pay. Yeah send them a pre-approve, that would spook the ones looking for a freebie.

Katherine121
Level 2
Ribchester, United Kingdom
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A year ago I hosted an influencer/blogger, but one thing: he had booked my place normally as a guest, and I only learned who he is while he was at my place (and was a wonderful guest).

So I guess those seeking free lodging are just opportunity-seekers. Hosts, don't get tricked. And as for pre-approval, it is optional to block the dates in the calendar before they decide, so no need to worry about losing other guests within those 24 hours.

When it comes to IDs, there is an option to only accept guests who have provided an ID. If most hosts start using that option, guests will have to conform to it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Mykel2
Level 1
Monroe, LA

These people are not couch surfers. They are social media influencers. It’s a real job.  I’ve never asked for a free stay but I’ve been offered a free stay in exchange for social media presence. The Airbnb owners would ask me to post their listing to my YouTube etc to drive in more people to want to book their place. It is annoying for an influencer to bug you about letting them have it for free tho. Weird.