Guests with poor communication

Answered!
Eirini3
Level 2
Paris, France

Guests with poor communication

Hi everybody!

My next guests come from Latin America and seem not to understand what I wrote them, even though they used Google translate. I have sent all details in English on how to enter my place. It is the exact same text I use every time and is very detailed, step-by-step. They talk Spanish, which I do not, and seem very confused. What can I do?

Thanx,

Eirini.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Also use photographs of how you enter the building and any locks or code boxes and diagrams - this can really help those who don't speak your language.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Eirini3   Hi, I don't know how your instructions are written, but google is pretty **bleep**ty for long sentences or complicated, detailed ideas and often makes no sense whatsoever. Translations can be confusing, even misleading and the vocabularly is not always correct. I always write the instructions very simply. Very short sentences. I chop up long sentences. I remove all extraneous words.  And I send  the same chopped up version in english and their language as well, they could have a friend who can speak english and can help them out. Visuals also help.

I used google translate Chinese once. I wrote "That is fine".  When I put the chinese version in and translated it back to english it said "That is a penalty".  So it's worth checking the translation, or how a word is translated, before sending.

I agree with Ange.

I'm a naciste Spanish speaker and Google Translate is the only thing that company hasn't figured out. The translations are not good. So, I would say that Google Translate is the reason they are not understanding you.

If I was you, I would get a friend that can help you translate all your communication material (you only have to do it once) and have it ready in case you need it. But definitely do not use Google Translate for long, complicated (not so much) sentences or phrases.

Hope it helps!

¡Todo lo mejor!
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

If you translate english to spanish - then copy this translation - then try putting this translation of spanish back to english and see if it comes out ok.

Sometimes you can adjust and fine tune the original text if the message seems wonky

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Also use photographs of how you enter the building and any locks or code boxes and diagrams - this can really help those who don't speak your language.

You could use more images to help them better understand what you want to say. Some screenshots of where they should get would be useful.

Also you could use Google Translate or a translator to help you translate the text into other languages so that it would be much easier for foreign guests who are not fluent in English.

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Hello h

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Hello Airbnb Community 

I’m finding some guests seem difficult to communicate with

They do not read the Airbnb message thread 

with important messages I send 

I have 6 listings and have been with Airbnb for 8 years 

airbnb encourage use of their message thread 

can anyone advise how to encourage guests to?!

thank you  Jill