Guidance with guest

Ping-And-Daryl0
Level 7
East Launceston, AU

Guidance with guest

On topic but on a different disability I am seeking feedback and guidance on hosting a guest who has a child with severe behavioral disabilities.  The parent is not required by law to disclose any such disability however, if that child is damaging property, for example trampling gardens, uprooting plants, urinating on mattresses, and behaving unacceptably, is the host supposed to just accept this without objection?  The parent explained later that they couldn't stop their child's behavior because it was a disability and later gave a very unfavorable review stating "unsuitable for children", yet we've hosted plenty if children the same age or younger without incident and with glowing reviews. I guess as a host we are expected to just suck it up. Advice anyone?  

*[Moved to make new topic – title updated]

30 Replies 30
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Ping-And-Daryl0I would be surprised if it was technically a disability. ADHD is a disorder. Autism is a communication disorder.

Hi Noel, Thanks for that but parent was quoting it as a disability. Do you believe the parent has no responsibility for the child's actions? Money was offered as compensation but I declined and stay was cut short. What is the onus on the host? Do we need to state everything?

Ping, the parents are absolutely responsible for the actions of a child in their care. @Sarah977 is correct.

@Ping-And-Daryl0   You don't say what behavioral disability this child supposedly has, but wanton destruction of property isn't a normal symptom of the 2 that Noel mentioned, ADHD and autism. 

It sounds like these parents either haven't been educated as to how to deal with their child's behavior or simply don't care. Nor are they doing their child or anyone else any favors by absolving themselves of all responsibility. 

I would certainly charge guests like this for the damage their child caused.

No, you do not have to accept such behavior.  Take many, many pictures and file a claim for damages.  Document what behavior the child engaged in and how that violated house rules, Airbnb policies, and how it disrupted your ability to host - including what it cost you to replace and repair his destruction. 

Thanks Alice, It's too late now, and the outlier review most likely resulting in loss of SuperHost status. The private comment also threatening around Disability Act.

The ADA doesn't mandate that anyone accept the destruction of their property as a condition of 'reasonable accommodation' to a disability.  If this child was destroying your property and the parents admitted they could not control the child's destructive behavior, I can't see how you could be held responsible or as to have violated any disability rules, but these days, you never know.

I'm sorry this happened, but it is another in the long line of red flags that even with a lot of personal vetting, hosts really never know what they are getting until the guest is already on the property.

Yes, it was an Instant Booking with no prior reviews. 

Thought about taking video of child jumping on box hedges but worried about privacy laws around photographing children without parental consent. Yes took photos of other damage but thankfully nipped in the bud and left voluntarily 2 days early. I just want to be prepared for next time and maybe tighten up house rules with regards to gardens. Look and respect, but don't damage them!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Absolutely don't suck it up. Respond to their review.

Point out your many positive reviews from families with children and apologies for not being able to meet their child's special behavioural needs,  meant the property may have been unsuitable for them.

@Helen3 I don't think that alot of attention should be drawn to the simple one line from the guest. It is obvious the reviews of all the happy families and this was a place NOT suited for THEM. That's all that really needs to be said. 

More worrying was threat and false accusation in private comment.

@Clara116 wrote:

@Helen3 I don't think that alot of attention should be drawn to the simple one line from the guest. It is obvious the reviews of all the happy families and this was a place NOT suited for THEM. That's all that really needs to be said. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It is not just this host though is it. This is just one example if you read through the OP's reviews @Clara116

Helen again I can not tag you ;D NEVER apologize in a case like this as the host did nothing wrong, the parents and child did. An apology indicates that you were responsible for the actions or results, which in this casse is absolutely not true. The parents in this case should be reported to Child Protective Service as far as I am concerned they are causing the child irreverable damage by not taking action to help stop his behavior issues. There are many programs out there that could help, these parents chose to do nothing and as a result the child will suffer in the long run from this. This is child abuse.