Hawaii accommodation tax

Answered!

Hawaii accommodation tax

Is Airbnb collecting Hawaii state accommodation tax yet?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

101 Replies 101

Is is my biggest gripe about AIRBNB! It is such an easy fix, they only need to add it as an added expense, like cleaning fee’s etc...but with the option of making it a % - but for some reason they don’t or won’t. We tried tasing our rates but it out is so much higher than our competitors that we couldn’t sustain it. Asking for it separate only added more work for us - basically we get hit 2x...once by not even getting paid taxes and 2nd for having to pay the taxes!!!

We all need to write in and pressure them to add this option!! 

We send a separate payment request to the guest via airbnb. On our listing, we state that TA and GE taxes will be collected. We have the GE and TA tax lines setup as separate items in QuickBooks to make it simpler to calculate each total for the monthly payment.

Alfred H

I include the taxes in my price. I also state in my ad that all taxes and fees are included. I stay booked at a very acceptable rate. I personally prefer to see what the bottom line will be when I look at an ad, so have chosen this method for potential guests who think the same way. The vast majpority of guests give us a 5-star rating for value, so it doesn't seem to be hurting us at all!

It's nice to have company.  I have been doing this for 3 years and find it convenient.  Also get very favorable comments from guests.

Dean is alsi 5-Star rating.

Chris1025
Level 2
Hawaii, United States

Aloha,

Im super new to Airbnb, about to start next month with a unit in waikiki.

I will apply for TAT license. Question, do we need to register with the city and

get another type of license?

Mahalo

Chris

City registration not required. Dean

Carolyn34
Level 1
Sun City, AZ

A bill that would have required vacation rental platforms to register as tax agents in Hawaii and collect and remit general excise and transient accommodation taxes on behalf of their hosts failed to pass the state Senate on a final vote Friday night.
Enlarge
A bill that would have required vacation rental platforms to register as tax agents in Hawaii and collect and remit general excise and transient accommodation taxes on behalf of their hosts failed to pass the state Senate on a final vote Friday night.
EUGENE TANNER

IN THIS ARTICLE
David Ige
Person
Government & Regulations
Industry
Residential Real Estate
Industry
Travel & Tourism
Industry

By Janis L. Magin – Real Estate Editor, Pacific Business News
Apr 27, 2019, 3:17pm EDT
A bill that would have required vacation rental platforms to register as tax agents in Hawaii and collect and remit general excise and transient accommodation taxes on behalf of their hosts failed to pass the state Senate on a final vote.

The Senate's 12-12 vote on Senate Bill 1292, with one member excused, failed to pass final reading Friday night, a day after senators voted to reverse previous objections to amendments made by the House, setting the measure up for a final vote.

It was the fourth time the Legislature had tried, in an attempt to rein in the proliferation of Hawaii’s illegal transient rentals, to pass legislation that would get platforms such as Airbnb and Expedia to collect and remit the taxes.

A similar bill that passed in 2016, was vetoed by Gov. David Ige; two bills in 2017 made it as far as conference committee, and two Senate bills last year each stalled in the House in early March.

The Legislature is scheduled to adjourn on Thursday.

CarlandMarilyn0
Level 3
Princeville, HI

Hawaii GET and TAT have been paid on our property for the 35 years it's been a short-tern rental. My concern is that we'll be foreced to an pay the Vrbo, Airbnb, et al, an outrageous fee to collect and pay our taxes, which we already regularly collect and pay. Is anyone aware of the answer to this question?

Airbnb already collects the TAT for my listings in Santa Clara, California. They do not add a fee for this service. I love it!

Aloha,I know this is probably not the place to advertise,but I am a property planner here in the state of Hawaii..you can find my ad on craigslist if you would like assistance with tax laws,TMK or registration numbers..craigslist under general community..thanks..hope to hear from you soon..Aloha

Mary1793
Level 5
Captain Cook, HI

I'm actually glad Airbnb isn't collecting and remitting to the state.   I do wish they at least calculated the amount, and then added it to the reservation total and what they sent to me, like Homeaway does.   It would save me the extra step of sending an additional request a week before my guests arrive.   Sometimes I forget and then it comes out of my own pocket. 

I am very upfront with my guests before they book that the state requires me to collect an additional 14%+ in TAT and GET and that they'll receive an additional request from me a week before they check in.   I require them to type back "I AGREE" before I accept their booking.   I'm apologetic about it "Hey, we're a licensed STVR and obligated to collect and remit, just like the hotels have to ... sorry!"   But hey, at least they know they're staying with someone legit who follows the rules.   Glad I always have given the new short term rental bill on Big Island -- we would never have gotten our non-conforming use certificate without consistent TAT and GET filings every month / quarter to prove we are on the up and up!

Walter313
Level 2
Evergreen, CO

We have been consistent TAT and GET filers on Oahu for ten years, but have since pulled out listings as the new City and County of Honolulu statute (89) permits  fines up to $1000/day for listings without a non-conforming use certificate of which none have been issued since 1984!  What to do?