Help hosting in Salt Lake City

Hollie5
Level 1
West Jordan, UT

Help hosting in Salt Lake City

Hi all, 

Reaching out to anyone in Salt Lake City currently hosting. I would like to start and want to know where to begin. I am having a hard time finding rules and regulations for my city on Airbnb's website, and I know there are some things related to 30-day minimums. However, there are several hosts in my area and Airbnb stays bring in a TON of money here, so I know people are hosting (I don't believe everyone is hosting guests for 30 days min). Any advice and support would be appreciated!

THANK YOU

44 Replies 44

Hi Angela,

I'm just now seeing this! Please read my post as it contains my contact #.

I look forward to speaking with you. 

Carrie White

It's the post that starts out as "Dear Jan".

James870
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I can also make an excellent co-host for the Salt Lake area and want to put my information out there. 

I can can be reached by email at [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

m for anyone interested!

Hi James, I’m interested,  but can’t figure out how to get a hold of you. The site blocked your email address.. I sent a friend request through the community site, but I’m not sure If that will allow me to PM you or not.

Matias71
Level 1
Fort Myers, FL

Hi Everyone . Wanted to follow up and ask to anyone who knows, what ended up happening with Short Term Rentals regulations in the Cottonwood Hights and Sandy areas. I am looking to buy here and want to know my options. Any information would be appreciated it.

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Short term isn’t allowed in Cottonwood Heights 

Colin165
Level 2
New York, NY

I am interested in hearing about cottonwood hts also.  The last time I called the city they said you cannot rent out single family houses in cottonwood hts unless you are grandfathered in from previous permits.

They do allow condos but there are strict rules for that, which I didn't follow up on.   Can anyone confirm?

Agreed, owner occupied AirBnb's should not be restricted by the city if I'm here to supervise guests. 

We are also in Cottonwood heights.  We want to put our basement apt on Airbnb.  We live in the upstairs. I don't see what the issue is.  

The issue is whether the listing meets the definition of a “primary residence”. Primary residence means you live there whether you host or don’t host. A host’s basement apartment is not considered to be their primary residence, it is below their primary residence.

A leased tenant who lives in the basement apartment, that would be considered their primary residence. Tenants should not list a room on AirBnb without landlords consent though. 

Rachael141
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

We are looking for an HOA attorney. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

From our research it is legal to rent for under 30 days if you are in a zone that permits hotels,motels,bbs. 

Hi, I'm really hoping to be able to rent a room or two in my home in Sugarhouse, but the rules are confusing and I have a neighbor who has made it their part time activity to turn me in to the City for every minor thing they can think of.  So, I would want to be legal.  Can any one help figure this out?  Thanks so  much!

Need to see what the zoning rules in Sugarhouse are.

If your listing meets the definition of a primary residence & parking will not be an issue during hosting, you shouldn’t have problems with city or neighbors.  

I strongly suggest to avoid doing multiple reservations (ie: 2 reservations in both rooms) because that makes it an illegal B&B/hostel, this can upset neighbors more seeing more transients coming and going and taking up parking space. 

With 2 rooms,  host 1 reservation at a time, and keep it to no more than 2 people per room/4 guests + 1 kid in the reservation.  

You host less but during convention weeks you can easily earn a lot more money from groups of 3-4 guests.  They need to stay 5-7 nights but don’t want to share 1 small hotel room together for that long of a stay, and their group is too small to rent a whole house. 

In Sept 2019, there were 3 conventions at Salt Palace, I only hosted 3 reservations totaling 11 nights & earned $1000, just for private room. Other private room hosts were working much harder that month to earn that amount. 

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Did you end up renting? This was for guy in Sugarhouse area