Help - possible city and host issue

Mary381
Level 1
Kenmore, WA

Help - possible city and host issue

I made a reservation and in the confirmation the host mentioned  a city hall/lease agreement/owner issue; saying he knows he should stop short term renting.
I appreciate the host being up front about the issue, but don't want to make matters worse nor step into something stressful on my vacation.
I don't know how to respond.
Maybe: 
a) Roll with it and hope for the best (it is a couple months from renting and things could change; is this common?),  
b) This is a strict cancellation site - so if I cancel I think I wouldn't get a full refund (I learned of the issue after paying),
c) Secure a backup hotel (not ideal, but no cancellation fee) in case the city cracks down/I don't have a place to stay after all,
... or some other brilliant idea any of you may have?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts & ideas.
PS This is my first time reserving on AirBnB & I don't want to be a jerk. 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mary381  I am sorry you are experiencing doubts about whether your travel plans are secure with Air BNB.  Where are you planning to go?  In the last couple of years as the short term rental has gotten much more popular, some places around the world are looking at new regulations.  With your booking in just a couple of months, I would think you are fine.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary381

I have a slightly different view: the host is renting illegally and knows it. Perhaps neighbours have already complained etc. Personally I would contact Airbnb and ask them to find you somewhere else to stay or give you a refund. You don't need that stress when staying there.

finally keep in mind that there was no reason for him to tell you this unless he anticipated some more trouble ahead. He wants to be able to say he warned you in advance