Holiday Cover for Airbnb Hosts

Jon179
Level 2
Maidstone, United Kingdom

Holiday Cover for Airbnb Hosts

Is there any system in place that allows Airbnb hosts to book housesitters to look after their house and their guests whilst they go on holiday or traveling? It seems to be such an obvious thing to have as there must be countless hosts who want to travel or have extended holidays but don't want to lose their hosting income.

We have been looking into this and speaking to hosts for a while and everyone that we've consulted has agreed that it's a fabulous idea. If anyone has any thoughts about whether this could work I'd be most interested.

Obviously we are seriously interested in getting involved as we are experienced housesitters that have been using Airbnbn for several years.

Jon

12 Replies 12
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jon179 it is called ""co-host" here , I don't know any details but you can just search this forum and Airbnb help to find out more

Thanks, I've heard of the co-host arrangment but that's not exactly what I meant. I was proposing a stand-in for the host whilst they were away. No involvement in bookings or the online arrangements, just someone to look after the house and look after the guests for a fixed temporary period.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

I realise I'm late to this conversation but I think this is a great idea @Jon179. In fact, I am potentially looking for a housesitter/dogsitter/cohost for about 7 weeks in Sept/Oct this year (which is how I came across your post). Interested?

Jon179
Level 2

Hi Kath,

I'm afraid that we're all booked up for the rest of the year but this is exactly what I was refering to. I really think Airbnb should have a section where hosts like yourself can ask a selection of approved people if they could cover their hosting duties whilst they are away. Mentioned it to them a few times and just get a standard 'we are considering it'.

Hope you can get a housesitter/co-host sorted out soon. If you need anyone next year we'd love to be considered so keep us in mind please.

Jon

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Jon there is a company in Cumbria who provides stand in hosts for Bed and Breakfast businesses. We came across them at the Lakes Hospitality show. They claimed that they could cover our apartments but really had no idea what was involved. It also costs a lot. We could not convince ourselves that they would reach our standard. 

We have always booked our leave a long time in advance and we simply block our listing when on holiday. 

Jon179
Level 2

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I seem to have missed your reply back in July, not sure I got an email. Your experience is exactly the situation that I was questioning in this thread. There must be so many hosts that have to stop hosting when they themselves go away on holiday and that obviously completely cuts off their income. We have a lot of experience in Airbnbs all over the world and have worked in the holiday business recently looking after multiple lodges and guests in Scotland. I really do believe that this is real service that could be offered to airbnb hosts. The issue is contacting those hosts of course.

Any thoughts? Or even let us know if you think we may be able to help you out and work with you.

Jon

I am desperately looking for someone to come and run my airbnb in Malta

get in touch ****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – to send a direct message here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

@Jon179

are you available. fancy a winter in sunny Malta

Jon179
Level 2

Hi Christine,

what a wonderful offer, unfortunately we are booked solid until virtually the end of February. We seem to get booked up around six months in advance currently but your offer is exactly the sort of think that would seriously interest us. If there are any dates after February that we could help you with then please don't hesitate to get in touch as this sounds pefect for us and our lifestyle and we have a lot of experience of using Airbnb.

Jon

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Jon179

That’s the reason I have a short hosting air bnb season so I am in residence in my family home when guests are staying.

After the season ends then I’m free to do as I please

Jon179
Level 2

Hi Victoria,

I guess a lot of it depends on location and whether there is a definite guest season as such. Great that you can block off time to do your own thing but I know a lot of places where they can't afford to shut down their accommodation so thought my host-standin idea might work. That's the beauty of Airbnb I suppose isn't it? Every place and every host is different, that's what gives it such wide appeal.

Jon

Isabelle940
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hi Jon!

We are a Canadian & Brazilian couple and we could be interested and available to 'airbnb sit' also!

Here's a little bit about us!

I'm 31 years old, from Canada. I'm a freelance photographer & graphic designer. I'm also very devoted to my yoga practice, I have been practicing Ashtanga, every morning since 16 years and I also practice meditation. 

I speak French and English, and I'm learning Spanish (I would say I have an intermediate level of Spanish at the moment, I understand well.) I have a lot of customer service experience (receptionist, cash, waitress, administration help etc). I'm also certified veterinary nurse with 13 years of experience in the veterinary field. I worked in vet clinics for 13 years. I have been housesitting locally and internationally since a few years now (Montreal, Ireland, UK, Hawaii, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize). I also have experience with Airbnb management.

My partner Silas is from Brazil and is 31 years old. He can help in everything manual, from gardening to construction, cooking, reception, cleaning etc. He loves nature and outdoor activities, especially gardening and permaculture, bio-construction, self-sustainable living and cooking. He speaks Portuguese, Spanish and English. He can help in the kitchen as well. He also has experience with Airbnb (cleaning, guests, general help and various projects here and there).

We are slow travellers, and we like to feel the place and connect with locals, therefore we want to settle here for a while. We spent 1 year in Mexico before coming here, where we were managing an Airbnb. Together we cover many skills, we are responsible, quiet and love simplicity.

We can help for check ins, check outs, making sure all is good for the people arriving, cleaning etc.. 'running the place''

Things we can help with

Airbnb
-Online management, communication with guests, bookings
-Airbnb listing: Photography, Description, etc.
-Guests management: check ins, check outs, orientation, presence for guests etc.
-Bnb management: cleaning, making sure things are ready, maintenance, making sure things work without problems

Garden
-Daily maintenance
-Helping with current/new projects
-Growing new veggies/fruit trees

Property
-Presence on the land
-Maintenance
-Cleaning
-Construction help

Animals
-Daily animal care

Other