Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

On a daily basis we are seeing posts from hosts seeking information about insuring their properties while hosting, so I felt it is about time to lay out the landscape where hosting insurance is at in this country, (Australia).

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here! Also the volume of hosting in this country has risen to the point where companies are now seeing hosting insurance as a valuable addition to their risk portfolio.

Firstly there has been a lot of talk, and possibly misplaced trust, in Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme (HPS)! This product is more loaded to protection from catastrophic damage, has extreme limitations on it, and in general should not be relied upon for protection a host is likely to require in their hosting experience. Even Airbnb state you should avail yourself of other cover options before trying to use this product. Typical of the sort of claims that Airbnb have declined to adequately address are....... a host's kitchen benchtop which was ruined when a guest put a saucepan from the stove directly onto the bench. The entire kitchen benchtop had to be replaced with a cost of many thousands of dollars.....at the hosts expence.

Another hosts outdoor furniture setting was ruined by a guests careless cigarette burn to one of the cushions. Once again, they were on their own. These are the events that you need insurance protection for and will find satisfactory compensation from the HPS virtually impossible.

To insurance options:

If you have a household general insurance policy there is every possibility the company will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform. I have had this advice direct from 4 major insurance companies, so, I would consider this stance to be the norm!

https://www.terrischeer.com.au

Terri Scheer are specalists in Landlord/Tennant insurance but do not get involved with short term rental agreements with a hosting platform or a shared property situation. Great if you are a landlord who has a rental property on the open rental market but will not entertain Airbnb.

https://sharecover.com

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) or a self contaned property and you are hosting a few guests per month there is a company called Sharecover! Above is a link to this company. This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it.

You apply online in seconds and are issued a PDF of the policy document on the spot. You can literally insure as the guest walk to the door of your listing!

https://www.aami.com.au

AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella! As this insurance cover is new, I have not been able to find any details of it as yet but will post as an update when I can secure!

http://www.ltmrisk.com.au/

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM Risk Partners and is based in Western Australia and appears to be most active in Melbourne and Sydney.

All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no automatic liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the wardrobe cupboard onto the bed....they will, once again,  not be covered!

I suggest to all hosts to check out all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than depending on what I have stated here. I have selected a company and coverage that suits my needs but those will vary from host to host. 

But, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

100 Replies 100

Hi Cameron, 

Probably you've already done this, but I'd definitely ask for that confirmation in writing.  

I am “covered” with GIO landlord insurance. I was also given conflicting information as to wether landlord insurance would cover my STHL even after I took out my policy. I was reassured by a GIO supervisor that the recorded telephone conversation would over ride the policy information.  

I have little faith in the reliance of a telephone recording. 

The policy states that you are bound by the PDS, its words and their special meanings. If I am to rely on this PDS I believe I am not covered. Upon checking the following words and their special meanings In the landlords policy: landlord insurance; Tennant; rental agreement; written rental agreement then the inclusion of “relevant residential Tennancy legislation” which I believe is the “Residential Tennancies Act 2010” clause 13.1,  the agreement under which a person grants to another person for value a right of occupation of residential premises for the purpose of use for a residence. 

The definition of “residence” in the Collins dictionary does not lend to STHS.

at this stage I am on the hunt for the correct pilicy

I just spoke to Gio. They will only give cover for Airbnb listings if less than 40% of your home is used for guests. My listing is all set up just for guest and I don't live there so Gio won't cover it.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Thanks for posting this conversation topic. It's really good to read the replies.

Regards, Christine.

Kathleen52
Level 2
Grovedale, Australia

So am i correct in what i have read that AirBnb will cover personal injury without any problems but there have been issues with claims for damages to property?

ABB have arranged a limited liability policy, personal injury covers a lot of different circumstances.

David

Hi, it is now April 2017 so most likely these issues relating to insurances have changed since this discussion commenced.

I have a single room on airbnb in my house, so it is a room in a shared house. I too was concerned regarding insurance, so contacted my insurer, AAMI. I was told that the guests are covered as long as I do not have more than 2 rooms shared on the platform. I am assuming that with a whole property, this is different.

It would be great to have an update on this for Australian properties.

Fran

Hello Fran

I am a new host and just listed my single room on airbnb.

I had the same answer from AAMI via chat online, but once I rang them and spoke with a person to clarify things I got told the guests or damage they could do would not be insured, this would fall under a landlord insurance. (Money changes hands and it becomes commercial). I decided not to risk this. I found someone in Melbourne who insured my property under a landlord insurance which covers short stay holidays for this room. (20 million public liability)

they are called Ceneta Insurance services and I spoke with a lady called Veronika, this might help some Australians. Not sure if I can post links here? http://www.hostriteinsurance.com.au/ if this doesnt show search for them.

Ceneta is nota primary cover, still need your primey insurer to aceept renting.

David

Hi,

by contacting Ceneta I got a broker who did insure primary cover (home and content)  including/and shortstay accommodation. Ceneta wasn't the insurer in the end. 

Maria1328
Level 2
Port Douglas, Australia

Hi,
Has anyone got any experience with the following:
We each own half a duplex (50%-50% share)
Mine is owner occupied
The other is entirely rented out through AirBNB
The current insurance does not want to cover us anymore.
I have asked the other owner to seize Airbnb until a new cover is in place.
I was asked to co sign a new policy where the excess has gone up from $100.00
to $20,000,00 (yup, that is twenty thousand) .
I am not willing to sign at such conditions as I simply would not have the funds to fix it.
The other owner refuses to stop Airbnb until we have a cover in place.
I am worried that if damage happens, the insurance will just dismiss our claim.
Has anyone got any advice on this issue? Very worried about not having proper cover. What my neighbour
does is out of my control.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maria1328

Maria, try a company called 'Sharecover' they charge from $5 per guest night and are not a bad option....

Here is the link!

https://www.sharecover.com

Cheers.....Rob

Paulo162
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Hi all

Being new to Airbnb, i found very useful information here.

Thanks for sharing it!

Another insurance company I've heard that works with Airbnb is BJS.

Have anyone here used them? If so, how's the experience.

Cheers

Paulo

Paulo162
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Hi all

Being new to Airbnb, i found very useful information here.

Thanks for sharing it!

Another insurance company I've heard that works with Airbnb is BJS.

Have anyone here used them? If so, how's the experience.

Cheers

Paulo

Annabelle28
Level 2
East Albury, Australia

The only one I've found is NRMA that works with ShareCover and thus Airbnb.