Home damage

Shelly80
Level 1
Grand Rapids, MI

Home damage

I am new to hosting on Airbnb this year.  We had a guest stay at our cottage and a window on our front porch was broken.  They said it was that way when they arrived, however I had just been at the cottage cleaning a few hours prior for their arrival.  Also, they did not notify us until the next morning.  The windows were closed when I left and it looks like when they tried to open it slammed back and cracked the glass.  I can not prove that they did it because there were about 4 hours between my departure and their arrival, but the screen on the outside was not broken and the wind did not blow it in because it would have shattered...and it was not.  Is this something I could bill to them for damage to the house and should I since they are saying they did not do it?  HELP

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Shelly80 ,

I see you listing has a (small) security deposit on it, so you could follow procedures mentioned here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Thank you Emiel, I have considered that...I am just concerned if it is right to charge them when they claim they did not do it?

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Shelly80 How frustrating! I have started to do a quick video walk through of the apartment on my phone after I clean it so I have documentation of the condition of the apartment before each guest. I even show the locks, the toilet, and the shower. I delete the videos after about a month. It's kind of a hassle and my toddler is in a lot of the shots, but it makes me feel better knowing I can refer back to it if I need to. 

Thanks Emily, that is a great idea!  I typically have a cleaning company take care of it, but I just happened to be at the cottage taking care of the cleaning this time.  I think pictures would be a good way to document!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Shelly80,

Welcome to the Community. 

I'm so sorry to hear about the broken window. I hope everything gets sorted out for you. 

Please do keep us updated on this. 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen