Horrible guest. Bad review?

Nuno60
Level 3
Dublin, Ireland

Horrible guest. Bad review?

i have been hosting on airbnb for quiet sometime and have nearly 200 reviews overall i have great reviews but there as been a few exceptions that someone rated me 1* i really dont wanna sound racist or anything but more or less my bad reviews plus 1* rating were from french guests ... do other airbnb host have the same experience ? i really try my best but they are impossible to please i have instant booking so i dont screen my guests bt everytime i get a booking from french people i double my efforts to please them but its overwellming impossible any tips?

37 Replies 37

hjoj joj @Kimberly54 you are joking right?  :)))) 

water cooker

but forget this fancy one-year-guarantie plastic sh*t.  if you want the best water cooker ever, which lasts for a lifetime, even generations, low maintainence, no service needed, works on electricity or gas or wood fire , indoor, outdoor, resistant to hurricanes, floods, tsunamies and kids, suitable for water, milk , soup even chilly... then THIS is THE water cooker 🙂

xx

@Branka-and-Silvia0... I just tried to look this brand up on Amazon and I don't find this. 

I feel like I have just crawled from out of a rock!  WHAT IS THIS???  Gas? Fire? Electricity? And it's not a POT?  I realize you are serious, but I am in SHOCK. 

I looked up Hamilton Beach... not the pretty picture you just posted, and I can not BELIEVE THIS!

Can you send me a link?  (We can do this private... a little embarrassed that I'm so very in the dark-ages!)

Thank you!

Kim

@Kimberly54 😄 lool 

@Kimberly54 we call them electric kettles. Or just a kettle if it goes on the stove top. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 - it's hilarious that you say it's the Americans want the kettle - as our UK and Aussie cousins lament that that are impossible to find in American homes. I have two, one in my kitchen and one in my guest space. My international guests are so tickled to have a proper kettle. Most Americans heat water in the microwave (insert pearl clutching gasps from our tea drinking friends, here!)

@Willow3@Branka-and-Silvia0... how can you go wrong with a pot of water and some fire?  OK, PUT a lid on it and it will go faster!

Holy cow... how difficult can y'all make this?

*)

Best always,

Kim

@Willow3 

now you made me thinking.. maybe it was just misunderstanding... guests asked for a water cooker and I assumed they want electric kettle, while they were maybe asking for any kettle :))) Sorry :))) 

Anyway, after one of our electric kettles broke I bought ordinary kettle (stove type with a whistle) from ikea and nobody is complaining. We have gas cooktop too.

Here in Zagreb local people use the ordinary pot to boil the water bc it is easier to clean then a kettle. Our water is very "hard" so we have to scrub a pot after every single use to remove a scale buildup.

But enough about cookers, we went out ouf topic :)))

Jodie11
Level 2
Brossard, Canada

Hi Nuno,

Your post resonates with me as I had some bad guests a couple weeks ago. They showed up later than the designated time, but no big deal - I do have flexible check in and I am easy-going as a host.

Then they were arguing through the night in the next room with me praying fervently they didn't wake up the whole neighborhood. They settled down around midnight and woke me up around 2:30am - didn't lower their voices at all, I couldn't make out words but they were bitchy in tone - and I could only hope they didn't disturb my other guest. Thankfully, my bedroom was the buffer... errr, yippee. The bickering died off enough as the sun was rising that I stopped watching the clock.

So, in light of the crabby episode, I chose not to leave them a review and guess what? They left me a four star rating saying I should have had air conditioning in the room on a night when the low was 17c (September 23rd in Quebec, Canada by the way ... unseasonably warm but window was open and we sometimes have had frost). I have lived here all my life and never lived in a house that had air conditioning and this is the first time ever anyone has come to my home and commented on the lack of air conditioning. This is not Mumbai, this is Montreal. Holy Macaroni.

They were French, but local to Quebec = French Quebecers. My french guests from France are lovely, we have a really great time. My other european guests: Scotland, Germany, Romania, Norway, Netherlands, etc have all been fantastic. My guests from U.S., Australia/New Zealand and Central /South America are phenomenal fun.

The local guests are the absolute worst - they always find fault, something to complain about, even though they are getting a great accomodation for one quarter of the hotel price. I had the one guy show up with a hockey sack full of a month's laundry, expecting to do it all here!

Bottom line: as a host, I will always have my favorite clients and my least favorite. Since I can't exclude local people from booking, I will just pray I continue to host lots of really awesome people from abroad in between. 

Cheers,

Jodie

PS offer good coffee/coffee machine and a little biscuit for the morning. = )

Cindy226
Level 1
Milwaukee, WI

I've recently received a 1 star review and I think it's the reason why I'm suddenly not getting new reservations.  All it took was one troublemaker traveler and I could lose my business-livelihood.  I'm seriously considering calling Airbnb and telling them that I'm closing my account.  They sent me this guy as an instant booking guest and I was forced to take him in.  I knew the second I met him that he was trouble and he creeped out my other traveler too. She took her clothes and purse and left my house to go stay with her boyfriend til this guy was gone.  I called Airbnb and told them what was happening at the time and they did nothing as usual.  This guy had already caused trouble at a local hotel here before he came by me.  I was his first bnb. Probably the last one too after the review I gave him.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

The poor darlings are still confused since the French revolution, they don't know if their aristocrats, should they behave like peasants, or if their peasants should they behave like aristocrats!

I had one French girl (tenant) request that I remove the satee/sofa so she could use (pallets/Skids) as a satee when I queried it with her, she said it was about a sense of style now do you understand.

Being Irish I'm thinking what a load of Bol lox

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Alexandre205
Level 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Hey Nuno,

I'm not sure whether this thread is about horrible guests in general or about French guests, but since I am French, I feel obliged to join this conversation.

We certainly host less French here than you do in Ireland, but we have our share, also because I can communicate in French.

This is a matter of generation, first, and I can say that about almost all the nationalities we have hosted.

The 20-30y old guests we get are undeniably less respectful, less caring , less clean than the previous generations, in general.

If they come in big groups, nightmare ...

And usually, the less guests pay, the more they expect. The rare who gave us 4* in value weren't paying the high price and were all careless or dirty.

To rate 1*, either they didn't like you or they only like themselves, or there was something that ruined they stay.

It happened to us once, but it was a hateful review from Koreans who didn't want hosts and rules, and Airbnb removed the review.

Have you ever reported 1* reviews that you found totally dishonest?

Common French tourists tend to count their money, try to get rebates for everything, compare everything to the same in France, and complain very often. Plus they often don't speak English. They aren't the cleanest guests you can host.

More upscale ones aren't like that. And the same can be said about other nationalities, indeed.

We had a 30ish French girl for one week, who was an absolute mess: dirty, stingy, unreliable ...

But we also had a mature French couple for another week, who left our place almost as they found it.

Some guests just need a couple of nights to dirty your whole place, in comparison. We've seen that from Canadians, Germans, Italians, Koreans, etc.

It really depends on what kind of people your listing (price first) attracts.

With Instant Book, you can now see the ratings of your guests after they book.

It's not about wine or cheese (stereotypes), it's about the characters, beyond the nationalities.

When you see dubious ratings, maybe you can engage a discussion to detect potentially troublesome guests, and eventually cancel bookings because you don't feel comfortable.

You shouldn't kill yourself to please impossible guests, you should just avoid hosting them.

Have some requirements and ask them to provide info, you will see their reactions ...

Emma16
Level 2
Nice, France

Bonjour !

Never, never give French people french product 😉 ( it couldn't be the same than in France and we want a local experience) 

It's about our education, myself I have the same problem, but I know why and I try to educate them 

In France we are educated with the idea that the perfection does not belong to this word and it starts at school 

a very very good mark is 18/20 = 4/5, and your parents congratulate you and give you a present ...

So you will have to explain to them what it means to give 4 stars : for french people, it s a very good mark ... you will have to explain to them that in Airbnb system it's a sanction and not a way to congratulate ...just it 😉 

Dick-and-Becky0
Level 1
Burnsville, NC

We've had guests from other countries and what is considered a "bad" review might just be a meticulous and honest response to airbnb's way of asking guests their review. Try to look at the review that way and see if the "French" are still the stereotypical French.

We traveled in Italy with our French friends along with a British friend.We are American. We all stayed together at airbnbs!

We all had different ways of seeing our experiences.

I laugh with my French friends about their "haughty" superiority. We're all different. Vive le difference! We're all ambassadors here.

Irene241
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

Hi,
I am afraid I agree with Nuno.
I opened my business in May 2017 and since then I have only received 5 starts review From my customer from all over the world and this french girl made a reservation in my house for 3 months, 2 months in advance and since then I received a text from her with infinity questions. Since the first day she arrived at the airport was in real demand, tone and attitude. I took her everywhere, I picked her up from free to bring her home , I invited her my meals as I do with the rest of the people but nothing was enough.

Mike436
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Agree mate, they are very hard to please..

My place is in a residential neighborhood one mile from the center of a city (New Orleans) and I occasionally get inquiries from people who want to know what I can do to "guarantee their safety". In such a case, I always refuse the booking and advise them to stay in one of the hotels in the touristy area. They're already afraid of the city, and I have no desire to live through several days of complaints about things I have no control over, such as persons who look and act differently than they do walking by my house. 

About half of these people have been from the suburbs of the USA. The other half were French. I've updated my listing to clarify what to expect in my neighborhood, and those types of inquiries have gradually fallen off.

As for instant booking from unsavory people, you can set your settings so you only accept instant bookings from people with at least one good review. I have no qualms about forcing first-timers to inquire first so we can have a little conversation before I accept them. I'm pretty sure the unsavory guy you mentioned shopped around Airbnb until he found a listing that he could instant-book, so he wouldn't have to send an inquiry and have a chat before he got accepted.