Host Attention! This is the new trick some guests play with host for FREE living!!!!

Crystal40
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Host Attention! This is the new trick some guests play with host for FREE living!!!!

To all the host! This is the new trick that some guests play with the host for free living and cancellation without the payout.  I recently have very bad experience with the fussy guest and I would like to share this with all the hosts to keep my case in mind.

Regards to AIRBNB Terms and Conditions,  guest just need to complaint about Cleaning Concern as the excuse and took some unilateral pictures (such as the camera close focused to the dust under the bed and corners, unflushed toilet etc.) to ask Airbnb do the refund and cancellations.  At the same time, Airbnb will not show to the host about the photos they received from guests. (At least in my case the case manager refuse to do)  At this stage, Airbnb will cancle the reservation and guest will receive the full refund even they have checked in and lived at your place. Airbnb will stand by the guest side, and I felt in my case the host side completely been treated unfairly.

My story was the guest booked our individual level with two bedrooms for two, but the Check-in day just herself showed up and she was happy with the rooms.  After she lived at our place for one night, the second day night time, (approximately after 40 hours stay without leaving the house) I received the Email from Airbnb said she made the complaint about my place's cleaning issue.  we felt strange because we hired cleaning company did the pace and we went downstair and try to help.   At the first, the guest didn't mention the cleaning issues.  Instead, she said our hallway doesn't have a locker, and the garden door doesn't have the curtain because she prefers to walk without cloth.  Holly, who gonna walk naked through the living room to the botany???  I and my partner don't want any argument with her and we adviced the guest to get in touch with Airbnb for the cancellation and further help.  Just 40 hours stay at our home, the rubbish and guest's personal belonging are throw everywhere, we were very unhappy about how she treated our house.  She said we do not have the right to take the photos because she paid and rented the place.

After all of this, I called the Airbnb and waited for one hour for the case manager's call back.  She spoke with the guest first and wasn't friendly to me.  The case manager said she will refund her and the guest will move out next day in the morning.  She refuses to show me the documents and made the conclusion that this is the host's responsibility.  I was very disappointed and I insist show her the receipt from the cleaning company and require for the photos, the case manager still refuse to do it.  I sent her several time's emails but all the feedback was all about the fake words.

Please keep in mind everyone, It is really important to make the right decision accept the reservations.

I hope my story can give all of you some thoughts and be on the alert. 

52 Replies 52
Wisequeen0
Level 2
Como, Italy

As for certain age groups, may I state that the pensioner age group aren't necessarily better guests. I have a nightmare couple in my home right now and they have complained about everything and have shouted and insulted me in my own home. I SERIOUSLY considered calling the police. I asked them to leave and that I would refund them the unused nights. BUT THEY REFUSED. I have no hope that Airbnb will intervene. I will go there again in a few days and if I get the same treatment I will lock them out. I cannot believe what pigs they are.  They run the heating whilst leaving all the windows open. (I don't usually  host outside of  summer  months because of this).Very difficult situation I don't care about the review. I WANT THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE. help. 

Marina910
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

Have just received an impressive a bathroom cleanliness 1 in the compliments of a guest review section, they arrived over an hour late, left 55minutes after they were meant to check out, then minutes after leaving sent a complimentary message thanking me for a wonderful stay... then came the late review... I am so stressed and angry ar 2.09 am . They appeared to be respectable, driving an expensive car., nicely spoken .. I welcomed them in person... this is a scam to get money back, providing fake comment about cleanliness is an all time low... have reported to Airbnb... this is my new business and have received glowing compliments until these nasty people arrived on my doorstep. 

Toff0
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The same here Iam fed up with Airbnb , honestly guests they like to complain about smallest things in the flat 

Ism dealing with  one  now she can’t use  tilt and turn windows and she complained why sheets in my washing machine and why is half bottle of wine in my kitchen lol how stupid these things honestly of course I drink that wine it’s my flat and there no issue if there sheets in washing machine she still can use it 

mobbed and bleached surfaces deep clean and she still not satisfied , asked her to leave I’ll refund her rest of the money min night she stays 

some people never happy 

Tosh1
Level 2
Rochester Hills, MI

Unfortunately this is becoming all too common.  I’m losing my SuperHost status over it.  I have my manager do a walk thru of all of my homes within an hour of check in.  I had a new guest  check in and comment how beautiful the place was.  Within an hour he had sent 6 pictures, close ups, of dust, one dead bug on his back, a blind that had fallen, etc.  to headquarters.  I had my manager, housekeeper, and maintenance man all there within a half hour.  Everything was fixed and recleaned.  The guest was obnoxious to my manager and housekeeper (my maintenance man said because of his religion he didn’t recognize females as being human).  I bent over backwards for this guest, and was even commended by 2 Airbnb resolution supervisors regarding how well I handled the situation.  Airbnb even sent me a thank you gift.  I gave him all his money back (except for 1 nights stay and cleaning fee, which I still have yet to receive from Airbnb) and overrode my strict cancellation policy to do so.  A supervisor even called him to tell him how fantastic it was of me to do that for him.  And what did he do?  He gave me a one-star review and stated that my home was ‘bug infested’.  I will most likely lose my SuperHost status over this.  

Last night I was informed by my housekeeper that there are many forums on the internet now instructing guests how to cheat the system and get their stays for free.  And what do you know, I just had someone else check I in for the Fourth of July weekend, say the place was beautiful, then send 6 close up pictures of dust.  Just got off the phone with a supervisor at Airbnb that said nothing could be done about it.  Just a shame that this business that I loved has turned into this, and that Airbnb is turning a blind eye.

Michelle1225
Level 3
New York, NY

I hope people are writing about this in the reviews so other host know not to accept them 

Rose123
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi Crystal! I find that I can avoid this by asking my cleaner to take at least a dozen photos after they finish their work, as well as checking in with the guests the morning after they arrive. Hope that helps!

I have had only three guests since I stated hosting. I just had a couple and 1 child that had booked for 4 weeks,  that me rethinking this Airbnb hosting. the couple checked in on the 9th, they were okay with everything. Confirmed they had arrived as I was not home when the got there. later that night around midnight , the husband called me  to say his wife had  seen a stranger who had walked in the unit. who then ran, through our side of the house and they were feeling unsafe. My home has never been broken into, this intruder apparently left through our side of the house and locked the door behind him. I tried to call my husband who was sleeping upstairs with our three children, in the meantime offered to call the police. The declined and said maybe try talking to my husband first? My husband eventually came down, spoke to them, and there was no evidence of a break in. Our alarms didn't go off upstairs. But guest instead his wife saw someone tall. We asked what they wanted to do and we said they could leave that night if they needed to. But they declined and said it was late they would stay till morning and figure it out then. This seemed strange to me, if an intruder had come in how come they were comfortable enough to spend the night, I personally would be terrified.

But now they have checked out, due to safety concerns, didn't want to cancel so the days remained blocked for 4 days after they left. Because it was a safety concern they received a full refund, even though I was not able to rent out the space for the 5 days and potentially lost out since their booking was for 4 weeks. there is no way for me to disprove their claim, which is frustrating for. Not a fun experience at all!!

Annemarie226
Level 1
Port Elizabeth, ZA

Well let me tell you I had guests book for 30 dec 2019 and check out 5 jan 2020 they stayed for all the time and to date i have still not received payment. I have called airbnb on numerous occasions and every time they say it is going to the finance department. I think this is disgusting and they feel nothing. If this is not sorted I will go to the newspaper and to facebook.