Host / Guest Privacy

Shreyas3
Level 2
Canton, MI

Host / Guest Privacy

I'm currently renting out an Airbnb for exactly 2 weeks and the place I have is epic nice; its a private home (which is grey area for a fully furnished basement of a house of the host)

A little more background, I cook for myself, and one particular night this week, after a long day of work, I came 'home', cooked and left the dishes and the stove relatively messy. It's not that I wouldn't clean it, I just was done for that day and fell asleep after eating. I came home the next day after work, and cleaned the oil that was on the stove top, and washed the dishes as a responsible and respectful guest. 

I keep a pretty close eye on my stuff, and noticed that a few of my personal belongings have been moved around, a couple of times too(over the couple of days I had been there). I own two things that cost me decent money, my laptop and my guitar. Out of concern for these belongings specifically, I messaged my host asking if there was something wrong. 

The host replied with a message that requested me to keep the place clean and tidy, and to clean after cooking becaue of the oil residue. My intial reaction was concern; was my privacy invaded? do I really need someone telling me to keep things clean every day? am I in the wrong here? why am I paying a cleaning fee? 

tldr; I made a mess while cooking, left to clean it the next day, the host came down to the 'private' home, moved my stuff around, and then told me keep it clean when I inquired about his intrusion. 

16 Replies 16
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Shreyas3I would never enter my property while it is booked (even if the guest is out of the house) unless I thought there was a safety issue. I'm sure all hosts wish guests will keep the place clean and tidy, but we can only really judge that at the end of the stay. Personally, I think you would be within your right to ask ABB to cancel the booking, but then you don't have anywhere to stay.

Probably best to ask the host to respect your privacy while saying you'll keep the place tidy. Then book a separate house next time!

Good luck.

@Ben205 Thanks! I also thought it was a bit odd that the host was checking up on me. I could cancel the ABB during this weekend, but I'm not sure how much financial sense that makes at the moment. 

I just wish the host had the courtesy to say he was going to check out the place periodically to make sure everything is ok. Even a litte bit of notice would make me feel so much more comfortable. It sucks because now I have to give this superhost a sub-optimal review. 

@Shreyas3  Consider the possiblility that the host has had previous renters who left the place trashed out and is anxious about it happening again. Especially since you say the place is really nice. That said, if possible, try to dialogue with the host to let him/her know that you would appreciate being notified if the host wishes to enter the space you have rented, that you'd like your privacy respected and let him know you understand the concern about the kitchen left dirty (you do realize it can attract cockroaches and rats, right? It's not like just leaving clothes and belongings scattered about) As @Ben205 also suggested.

Would you like the host to give you a "sub-optimal review" because you were so tired you fell asleep without even eating, letting alone cleaning the kitchen? It's always best if a host and guest can try to come to understandings about mutual respect, if possible, rather than leaving each other negative reviews.

I see your concern, but I don't think one day of me being 'dirty' is going to get the entire rats and cockroach population to party in the kitchen. Sure, this is a possibility, but in that mindset, nothing should ever get dirty because there is a chance of attracting unwanted critters. 

Yes, the airbnb is nice, but it's not a luxury palace, it's a normal home with ordinary things at best. I could tell him that I want my privacy, but there is nothing that I've seen that says he can't enter whenever he wants. It's his house, his rules. I've already sent him a message asking why he decided to move my belongings around in the 'private' home, to which his response did not answer my question but made me feel like I had another parent watching my everymove without any trust. 

I'm siding with the rest of the community with the unspoken agreement that hosts should not enter while guests are accomodating the space without asking first, or if it's a safety issue. I will not be leaving a negative review of this airbnb, I think the place is fantastic. I will leave a well thought out review of the pros and cons I experienced during my stay. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shreyas3 P.S. A cleaning fee covers linen and towel washing, floor and bathroom cleaning and sterilizing, vacuuming, dusting, window washing, etc. In other words, the heavy-duty deep cleaning and prep for a gues's stay. It is not designed to cover cleaning up a guest's personal messes.

Wiping down the counter is part of the costs I'm guessing then. I'm not that messy where you need heavy duty deep cleaning. I think how dirty I am is being overestimated. 

When you pay the price of a private home, as opposed to a private room, you would expect some of the privacy to come along with the price, but in reality I've had more privacy previously where I had only a private room. This is only the case with this particular airbnb, I've never seen anyone in any other place be this way. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The bottom line is if you have rented a whole the host should only enter your listing if there is an emergency or if agreed say to do weekly cleaning.

Speak to Airbnb. I am sure they will see messages between you and the host about the host regularly coming into the listing.

In you situation I would find an alternative place.

I want to switch, but after looking at the change reservation pricing, I only get 370$ back, and unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can find anything reasonable for this week in that price range.

I'm in Bellevue, WA area, and I have this airbnb only for one more week. If living was cheaper...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shreyas3  No one said you were "that messy"or dirty. No one here knows whether you are dirty or not. But the fact that you say "I'm not that messy where you need heavy duty cleaning" indicates that you don't understand. I do "heavy duty cleaning" between each guest, regardless of whether they were messy or not. Most hosts do. Would you like to move in on top of the last guest's dirt? I'd hope the place was really clean when you moved in? 

The privacy issue is separate from the being clean issue, altho that's apparently why the host entered the space, to check whether you were keeping it clean. No, it is not acceptable for a host to enter the guest's quarters without prior notification, unless they are dealing with an emergency, like a fire or burst water pipe.

Oh, sorry about that, I understand now. I agree with you, the host is not responsible for my personal mess. I am. Does your cleaning routine not include wiping down the counter? Because if it does, then you'd not worry about whatever mess I made enough to ignore my privacy question and tell me to keep it clean on top. 

@Shreyas3  As a host I'd never enter the guest space without their permission, or prior notice.

To answer your other question, no, I would expect a guest to clean up after themselves in the kitchen, i.e. wiping down the counters after preparing food and eating. If I came in to a dirty kitchen after a guest checked out, they'd get a low rating for cleanliness. It's not my job as a host to clean up someone else's personal mess. Yes, I'd give the counter a proper cleaning, but if it was covered in grease and food I'd be very disappointed in the guest.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You booked a private place. 
You're not a child. 
The host was out of order. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Bellevue, WA is a very expensive area, I agree. I would call AirBnB and explain the facts that he entired the property without my permission and moved stuff around. You are uncomfortable with this situation and they should help compensate the extra costs and find you a new place.

Working on it as we speak 😉