Host can't get money from guest; you need to make sure you remember to avoid this issue.

Hsin-Ting0
Level 2
New Taipei City, TW

Host can't get money from guest; you need to make sure you remember to avoid this issue.

So, as a host for several years, this is the first time I met this kind of issue..

I wish after I worte this down, maybe this won't happen agagin.

So, this is what happened to me:

I got a guest required to stay two nights, they are two people.

When I received this request, I press the accept button as usual, but the APP shows this guest's payment haven't been done yet, this guests then has 24hrs to compelete his booking. So I told this guest.

Later the day, as we keep in touch, he told me somehow his credit card couldn't work. And as my personal experience, this isn't big deal, so I told him to wait.

Nxt day morning, I got one new required, same date, same room and same number of guests but different account.

And now this new guy said he is the same guy as last day but he is using his friend's account.

So we tried one more time, and same issue happened: his credit card couldn't work. Another 24hrs to go. And later the same day, the first request he sent has expired.

And I told him to try other credit card, and also ask him how come you are also a host and your account can't make a booking?(the first account he used shows he's also a host and he got nice reviews) So if he is also a host, why his account(which links to a payment way) can’t complete a booking? And he reply that he used to use Paypal but this time he wish to use his credit card. But he don’t know why that his card doesn’t work.

So, we back to the beginning again.

And one more day later, I woke up in the morning, one new request coming, same date, different room and different number of guests and different account. And the message from this guy says it’s him and he said let try again, by this new account.

So at this point, this same guy using 3 different accounts already.

And I was thinking, maybe this time the same, so I press the accept button, and it’s work!

Now, cuz the booking details are wrong, so I need to fix it, so I sent a adjustment of the booking, and I told him to accept it. And then……………..It’s jammed.

Somehow, his card can be use for make reservation for one people, one bed, but when we tried to changing the booking/adding one more date and one more people, it stocked.

But, the system still sent us a booking confirmation and told me that they will trying to help this guest to complete his booking.

( A. they will sent him a link that he can click to process the rest payment or do something to complete the payment. B. This booking is confirmed but cuz the second payment is failed, so host can decided to accept this booking or not, this decision can be made XXhrs before the reservation date, and if it’s already the date, ((just like my situation)), please contact the service number.)

And cuz that guy is coming exactly that day, so I didn’t have too much time to thinking.(I called the servie number and they said they will helping this guest to complete the payment) So later the same day, he’s coming with another friend and stay for ONLY ONE NIGHT. And he told me the next day morning(cuz I trying to remind him to use the link to finish his payment at the morning when I first see him coming), he said:”I was trying to use the link to pay the money, but I don’t know what was happened that I accidently booked another place for tonight and so I’d like to ask if I can cancel my booking for tonight? ”

Guys, I’m not joking; this is exactly what he said that day morning, I’d never forget. I got monitor and many other guests were there and they all heard what he said. This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in my life.

Anyway, they gone that day(but as I told them that there won’t be refund. So they stay only one night but they booked tow night and they cancelled their second night right on the second day), and at this moment, right now, I still didn’t get the money. They staying at my place on 25th of July this year, and till now, although the Airbnb already got the money of first night, but as the customer service told me, “they are still working on get the rest of money back.” So I think I still have to wait.

And as I said, I really wish this kind of things never happen again, so I want to write it down.

So the point is:

If there’s a guy, he booked, and everything is smoothly, but when he wish to change/extend the booking and the system shows the second booking’s payment failed, but the booking is confirmed. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON’T TAKE IT. Don’t take the second booking. If the first booking is made successfully, it’s fine. But second one is failed, BUT system told you that you can still taking this booking(cus they think the first booking is done, payment secured, so even the second booking’s payment is failed, they will still tell you this booking is confirmed.) And even it’s confirmed, so what?

Like this situation, this guest never reply the system, there’s nothing we can do!

No matter how many emails they sent or calls, he won’t pay he won’t pay.

So please, I wish this stupid thing won’t happen to anyone, please remember to avoid this as you can.(I learned my lesson that I should cancel his second booking/I got the right to cancel the second booking, I should only accept the first booking. I shouldn’t that believe that Airbnb can get the rest of money. They just can’t. Even that guy is also a host…)

p.s if this guest starts to use several different account, watch out, they are not normal. Better think again before process their booking.

Anyway, thank you for spend your time here, wish you all the best, no matter who you are.

B.R.

Amy

1 Reply 1

@Hsin-Ting0 - what a horrible thing to do to another host.  Not only did he violate all kinds of Airbnb policies (third-party booking, multiple accounts, making multiple reservations for the same period), but now he doesn't think he needs to follow your cancellation policy.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I certainly hope you've opened a Resolution Center case for the payment just to be on the safe side.  

Good luck.