Host is asking for my utility bill

Paul399
Level 1
New York, NY

Host is asking for my utility bill

Hi All, The listing in Airbnb shows that it is available for 'instant book' however there is a disclaimer not to book without emailing the host. I emailed the host and got a response saying that it is available and that payment and booking would be processed through the Airbnb website. The email ends with the following request:

-I need the following details to pre-approve your booking with Airbnb, and after I will pre-approve you then you can proceed with the payment on Airbnb

Arrival:

Departure:

Adults:

Children:

First name:

Last name:

Address:

City:

Post Code:

Contact Number:

Copy of a picture ID + Utility Bill:

1- Is it okay for a host to ask for a picture ID and utility bill?

2- Wouldn't the host receive all the needed information when I use the 'instant book'?

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul399

The host is not really abiding by AirBnB policy by not allowing you to use IB, when in fact they have it switched on. The reason they are doing this is to ensure their property is higher up the listings (IB ready properties are shown first).

However, the list of information they are looking for is not unusual. Most hosts asks for this information in one way or another and often re-confirm it with guests in an email exchange, even if it is confirmed in the booking.

Not sure how you can email them ID however if you have not made a booking. 

I would check the reviews for the property and see if other people have been happy staying there before completing the booking.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB does not provide much protection to Hosts compared to other sites, I presume this is for a seperate property, host not present.

So not unknown for Hosts to want to know who they are dealing with.

David
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Most of the information would be necessary to establish a rental contract, which may be common or even a legal obligation at thehost's place. An utility bill would proove that you gave him your real address. I'd suppose that the upper part of such a bill would suffice. If a contract is established, he has a right to know your identity. Airbnb only provides the name, not the address. 

I establish a contract too for dull unit rentals (when I'm not around to avoid chaos), but I have no problem sending the text beforehand, if a guest wishes to know what he engages himself onto. Anyway, there can be no extra conditions but thise inthe rules and description and those disclosed to you before payment. 

hello there!

Im about to book a villa through Airbnb and the host is asking for the exact same details?? 

Did you end up staying at the place without a problem or was it a scam?

Thank You 

Please beware! The host never responded back. Airbnb contacted me and advised that it was a scam and the listing was removed shortly after. I booked a hotel instead.

Same exact thing happened to me today. They requested the exact same information. Told me they had WhatsApp, to which I sent a message stating I had some questions before I replied to their email. Haven't heard back on WhatsApp. I'm thinking this is a scam also. How do you report them to Airbnb?

There an option to "report this listing" on the bottom right of the page. Airbnb also advises to always keep communication within the site to cover yourself.

Thank you! I did just that.