Hosting: Day 8-How to Stay a Happy and Motivated Host

Aesha0
Level 6
Dallas, TX

Hosting: Day 8-How to Stay a Happy and Motivated Host

Being a host is no easy task and finding the motivation and energy that you had when you first started can sometimes be a challenge.

How do you navigate through this journey of the ever evolving world of Airbnb with finesse, grace and great ratings? Here are a few things that I've done to avoid “host fatigue” and remain my best at all times.

1. Always act like every guest is your very first.  We all remember how excited we were when we opened the door to greet our very first guest.  We went above and beyond to make sure that everything was perfect. Just remember that it may be your guests first Airbnb experience and you are the face of what so many people around the world have grown to love.  
  2. Keep things exciting around your place by occasionally changing things.  Adding a new picture, plant, front door wreath, creating a fun accent wall or even an Alexa for entertainment can enhance your place, not only for your guest but you as well!
  3. Never treat your guest(s) like a number.  Find out if they are coming for a special occasion or conference etc. The information that your guest may divulge gives you an opportunity to make their stay truly unique. Having a birthday cupcake and card shows that you really care about their experience. If coming in for a conference, you could have the conference itinerary printed out along with directions to the venue from your property.  Doing nice things for others is a natural mood enhancer.
  4. Be a guest yourself! One of the most important things for me when it comes to hosting is being a guest myself. What is the experience like from booking to check in? What techniques do other hosts use to create a great experience? I always enjoy staying with other hosts and have picked up some great ideas along the way from check in procedures  to decor and the perfect arrival snack.
  5. If you ever start to feel tired of hosting, take a break. As with all things, we all need to take some time off. Taking some downtime to rejuvenate is an essential part in being able to treat each guest with the same passion as your first.  It is essential to keep a healthy balance in your own personal life so that you can give your best in other areas, including being a phenomenal host.
  6. Find a host BFF or your local Airbnb community of hosts to stay connected, get tips, share ideas and for support. It's so helpful and refreshing to have others that you can collaborate and network with.Airbnb Open-LAAirbnb Open-LA

These are just some of the things that have helped me stay at my best and I hope these tips help you be the best host that you can be every day. Feel free to share some tips that have helped you through your journey and thanks for taking the time to read.  

Happy hosting ❤

Aesha

Dallas, TX

19 Replies 19
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aesha0

Thanks for all the great advice! Every point is well worth taking on board and what a lovely sunny attitude you have.

I also agree with some of the others that I learnt a great deal since that first guest walked into my home. He got the room for a stupidly low price due to me not understanding the failings of Smart Pricing (it told me one price when I signed up and then halved it that night whilst I was sleeping!). Still, I felt like I had to honour the booking and do my best, partly because that's my style and partly because I needed that all important first review.

Guest number 1 was very nice and left me 5 stars overall but marked me down on accuracy and cleanliness, so I made a real effort to work on those areas. I think it worked, as I have 93% 5 stars for that room, 4.9 each for accuracy and cleanliness, and it's booked until July next year, which is as far ahead as I allow reservations. So, I would therefore like to add that you can learn a little something from every guest, even the ones that give you host fatigue. 

Actually, when guest number 1 arrived, my cleaner had been off sick for a couple of weeks and I made the mistake of mentioning it to him. I have realised since then that I usually get higher cleanliness ratings when I clean the house myself, so he probably would not have rated me lower if I hadn't put it into his head. So, I also learnt not to downplay what I'm offering in that typically British apologetic sort of way! Don't oversell, but also you don't have to mention every single flaw in your welcome tour. Guests often respond, "Oh, I hadn't even noticed..."

Experience has taken away most of the butterflies, but I still get a bit nervous when new guests arrive. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Aesha0,

I have a friend who is also hosting (he originally recommended me to start hosting). At the time he helped me sometime and I would return the favour to him so I think this relates to tip number 6 :-). 

This is very useful advice—thank you!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Julie-And-Marty0
Level 2
Centerville, UT

Wonderful tips!! I look at my hosting compared to like when I go to Disneyland with my family. You want that “wow” factor response from each of your guests as they arrive. I have my guests send me a quick text both when they arrive and when they checkout. I get great feedback at those times as well as know when to look out for messages once they have arrived should they need us.

Hayfa0
Level 4
Tunis, Tunisia

@Aesha This is a great post with plenty of useful tips! i'm just starting the Airbnb journey and i needed this to get motivated, i read it 2 times ^^ Happy hosting dear 😘

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Aesha0 Great post! I especially enjoyed tips 1 and 4. When I travel as an airbnb guest I think of what went well and what I appreciated about the experience (e.g. host's communication, check-in experience, thoughtful touches, etc.). After reflecting on what felt so right about each stay, I try to provide much of the same. But with my own personal touch!