Hosting In Greece and Tax Regulations

George214
Level 1
Peristeri, Greece

Hosting In Greece and Tax Regulations

Hello fellow Greek hosts...

I would like to talk about how you deal with the new regulations about taxes in Greece.

I want to sleep peacefully at nights, and that would mean to regulate my taxes.

But everything is so conflicting in greece, and I find regulations to be somewhat ... vague to say the least.

Even accountants don't seem to have a clear picture as to HOW a host should regulate himself.

The so-called "badge" that every house in airbnb should get, is nowhere to be found (at least for the time beeing), and I still haven't found a way to declare my guests on gsis.gr

If anyone reads and has the same problem with me, or maybe has a good piece of advice, I would be more than grateful to hear from him/her.

Happy Hosting to all.

76 Replies 76
Milan43
Level 2
Singapore

Does anyone know if "Short Term Real Estate Registry" is available now?

Dear Milan, until today it is not available. They have announced it will be ready end  of June.  Waiting...

Olga301
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Hello everyone,

i'm new to airbnb, started just a few days ago. I'm also very nervous, trying to figure out what i need to do with the taxes. From what i've read so far the "Short Term Real Estate Registry" is not open yet.

It also isn't clear to me if 90 days is the max i can rent my listing or i can use more days until the maximum income of 12.000euros. I keep reading conflicting articles on this.

Hi Olga, I too am very confused! Just wondered if you had found anymore info about this registration process and if we get a number and where we supposed to show this on Airbnb? I’ve looked at other Airbnb rentals in Greece and can’t see anyone showing this on there profile! Thanks J 

Hello Everyone!  I vwent to my accountant last week and he said that the registration for short-term rentals was not open yet.  I tried to registef by myself today and can t get into gsis.gr to do this.  Can someone help me please?  What do I do?  Thank you ..

Hello,

I have the same issue. I do hope someone here will come up with "how-to" explanation.

it I have the same question regarding the 90 days / maximum income of 12'000 euros. Has anyone found out whether you can host for more than 90 days if you stay under the 12'000?

Any help appreciated!

I'm newish to AirBnB (started last July) with just a few booking last summer, however, this year we have seen more bookings.   I was told as from Jan 2018 I would need to pay 15% tax (as it's under 12,000€) so started to keep a spreadsheet.  It's not that I'm too upset about paying the tax on the money we earn from AirBnB, however, all this misunderstanding is making it all very stressful when you just want to do the right thing.

I contacted my accountant regarding doing our yearly tax and find out how to process AirBnB and this was her reply:

"First of all for the rent through Airbnb we should sent in TAXISNET
residential for the property for each person every month and also a
mechanic to issue an energy performance certificate..."

I will go back to her to find out more about the process and will put the information up here and check back to see if anyone else has managed to get this organised.

Hi Debra,

Have you been able to find out the details, please?

Sorry, no, not yet. I've found lots of information, but it's all conflicting.... once I understand the correct way, I will keep you posted - d;-)

Manos-and-Emmy0
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Hello to everyone.

Until today, the Short Term Real Estate Registry, is not online yet.

As for last year, the bookings we had, are all  filled in the normal renting online gsis platform (logged in with your credentials),  and chosing from the drop down list short term option, (for Greek residents a VAT number is needed, as for foreigners Address,Passport number,Name, Nationality are the details needed). The income of 2017, will be declared also in the document E2 for tax.

Manos

Today I had my tax bill for last years AirBnB rentals from my accountant. I had provided him with a spreadsheet derived from AirBnB showing details of all my rentals last year.

This year I am providing individual papers for each booking in advance of the guests arriving. If the Short Term Letting Register was working, he would use these papers to enter the required information.

I am assuming that next year my accountant will use these papers to work out the tax I will pay next year for 2018.

My accountant has all the papers to prove that my property is legal and has an Energy Certificate.

Dave

Julia769
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Hi!

I have a house on an island and 2 apartments in Athens. I would like to make everything 100% right, which is not eay at all. I think I will put everything into a company. Does anyone know a reasonable acountant that can help me? i do not want to get overcharged...   Thank you!!

Insofar as I can follow the legislation, the famous Declaration (Δήλωση Βραχυχρόνιας Διαμονής) which has to be filled in for every rental applies to 2018 rentals and NOT to those of 2017 - income from 2017 rentals is merely reported as such. Can anyone confirm this with any degree of certainty? I am asking because my accountant appears confused, and is asking for Declarations for last year!

In June I provided a spreadsheet list of all bookings I had in 2017 to my accountant including Airbnb booking reference, name of guest, dates of stay, amount paid and where paid to. This was extracted from my AirBnB account.

In July I paid the 15% tax which was split into 2 halves for myself and my wife.

This year I have been providing him with information for each booking on a seperate form ready for inputting onto the register when it appears.