Hosting for the month of November

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3
San Salvador, El Salvador

Hosting for the month of November

Dear fellow hosts:

October has just finished, and november just started.

My last reservation finalized a few weeks ago and I am having trouble to spruce up my listing, I have been getting inquiries  about my listings but have not had any reservation lately. I am wondering what is it that I am doing wrong? why do people ask and they don't reply afterwards and don't complete the reservation...

I would like any help in viewing my listings and perhaps providing me with some advice. 

Isn't this time of the year supposed to be a good time for traveling and people going to different places of the globe? 

I'm just thinking that this is the time of the year when people would be making reservations already for the busy holiday season...and if they haven't, why is it? 

I would like some advice on how and what to update on my listing, and perhaps how to make it better for people to reserve. 

How true is it that a listing is as good as its pictures?  Should I take more professional pictures of my listing? 

Is my pricing fair? I think is exceptionally fair and alright but I keep getting people asking for discounts and such...How much do I want these kind of guests though...

Thanks in advance for all the help. 

Best.

Marta Alicia

7 Replies 7
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Marta-Alicia0 It seems that you have two lovely rooms for rent. I admit that I did not do a market search, but instead, just reviewed your listing. The only thing that I see is that you have two rooms with two good sized beds, but only allow one person per room. No couples really limits your appeal to a huge number of travelers. Is there a reason that you have this restriction?

Your prices are down right cheap when I compare it to my market, but you aren't in my market. So, I don't think I can speak to the price.

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Susan151 Thank you for your suggestion and advice, I am considering it to have it open for two people. 

Best Regards.

Marta Alicia

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

The bedding for the second bedroom looks very "old fashion" with the lace hanging down and the print comforter. Hotels usually have solid colors. The pillow covers look off-white instead of bright white. The wall hangings might turn off agnostic people.

Less people travel during school months.

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Pete69 Thanks for your comments and advice, I am working into changing the decoration for the bed, curtains and such. Is right now a school month in the US, here in El Salvador we have already finish school season.  People are looking at the listing but not making an reservation...thanks

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hi @Marta-Alicia0   I think your listing looks perfectly fine and you have a number of very nice reviews. The photos aren't bad- they could be done a little better- the shots themselves are fine and show what the place looks like but the lighting could be a bit more dramatic to show things off better.  But I don't think that's a factor for you in not getting bookings. What Pete said about the decor and the religious pictures and symbols I wouldn't concern myself about too much- living in Mexico, I know that lacy curtains, bedskirts, and tablecloths are very common in Latin America, it's the style. But a more non-gender specific, and more modern style might be better- men aren't attracted to frilly things, and most younger people aren't, but maybe you prefer to host women anyway.

You have every right to have whatever pictures, crosses, etc, you want in your home, and that also is quite commom in Latin American countries, but Pete is correct, that not everyone would want to stay in a room with a large painting of Jesus over the bed. But that's okay, too, it's your home, just realize that not all guests are comfortable with religious symbolism.

I don't know what kind of competition you have in your area as far as what you offer at the low price you charge, but maybe it's just the time of year? I was also getting worried, because I hadn't had a booking since May (but I almost never get bookings in the summer here-it's just too hot and humid for most foreign travelers) and usually start to get them by October. But I just got one today for late December, so hopefully more come in. It almost seems like once you get a booking after a long period without any, it somehow sets the ball rolling and more come in. I think the search ranking also goes up a bit when you get a booking, so the listing becomes more easily visible.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Marta-Alicia0 You really have a nice place, and really quite appealing. ~Perhaps~ the reason for no bookings is because October is a fact-finding time for visitors and November onward is decision time, at least that is the pattern I have noticed.

~Maybe~ the present political landscape is not doing you any favors - with so much talk of El Salvador, in the conversation with these 'immigration caravans'.  One wonders.

For some reason, when I saw your place I immediately thought of $25 as a price, it just has a tigher ring to it than odd numbers like $17.  Worth experimenting with in the future, once you start getting bookings. 

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Fred119 Thanks for your advice and comments. If november was decision time I would have already get some bookings, but so far i haven't is what I'm surprised. Oh well, I'm sure one will happen soon. 

I will follow your advice with the odd numbers.

Best Regards,

Marta Alicia