Hosting re guest damages

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hosting re guest damages

As a host, I read about other host's difficulties with guests destroying their expensive carpets or furnishings, antiques, family heirlooms, etc.

I have a hard time understanding why hosts rent out places with these things in them that they are devastated about when they get wrecked. While we would all certainly hope that guests will be respectful of their surroundings, the fact is that many aren't. Sometimes it's just an accident, sometimes they just live like pigs and have no respect. Sometimes they accept responsibility and make it financially right with the host, sometimes they fight the charge tooth and nail, resulting in frustrating, time-consuming and often unsatisfactorily resolved cases with airbnb.

Of course, as hosts, we want to have our rental unit look as nice as possible, but you can make a place attractive and comfortable without furnishing with expensive, irreplacable gear. If it is your own home, where you normally live, and you are renting out while out-of-town, I'd say to consider stashing the irreplacable/expensive things under lock and key and buy some "guest" stuff. Or don't host.

Please note- I am not talking about not expecting guests to pay for damages beyond normal wear and tear- they definitely should. But I just can't understand hosts being so trusting of strangers as to leave their own really valued stuff around.

31 Replies 31
Renzo4
Level 7
Venice, Italy

@Sarah0 I agree totally

Johanna116
Level 4
Rathdrum, ID

I 100% agree -- it is only common sense to pack away the irreplacable heirlooms when hosting your space.  You want your place to look nice and have  stock essentials that can be easily replaced if soiled or damamged.  Some replacement is just a cost of doing business.   I think some of the complaining here is just venting

I look for inexpensive ways to dress up my unit.  For example,  I have a thrift store locally that has someone's (not mine!) Grandmother's crystal on sale for $1 a piece.  So I have crystal soap dishes and potpourri dishes in my unit -- it goes with the MaryJane's Farm vibe of my country unit.  But I would never complain if a piece got broken or grew legs.

It allows me to indulge my thrifting habit.