Hosts not blocking unavailable dates

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Hosts not blocking unavailable dates

I've been trying to book a weekend away for 6 month's time, and twice now I've had hosts say "oh, we don't know what we're doing then" and declining the booking.  Is there no way that a host can be penalized for this?  It's becoming such a waste of my time.  I'm a host, and if I don't know what I'm doing for certain dates, I block them, or limit the booking time frame to 3 months.  Surely it's pure logic to do so?

36 Replies 36
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bex1 yes it is common logic but some hosts want to have the options opened, I am guessing they don't have instant booking on. And they do get penalized if they refuse many booking requests. I think hosts get penalized enough already, shouldn't we be looking for a way to reduce those penalties instead of asking for new ones 🙂

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

They don't have instant booking on, but if they can't accommodate people, they should block the dates.  I've now spent 24hrs waiting on responses and having to search again.  Yes we should be looking for a way to reduce penalties, but not at the expense of people trying to book.  If I go away, I sleep the listing; if I'm not sure I can accept people, I block the dates or limit the timeframe.  Not exactly rocket science.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bex1 maybe the hosts are keeping it open because they will accept a booking that meets their requirments, maybe they want longer stays, maybe they need a specific day of check in or maybe they acessed you weren't a good fit for them, I am sure everyone has refused a guest for one reason or another. And yes I know there are settings for all of this but some hosts have dificulties managing their properties and setting them up so they handle things the best way they know. Maybe try searching for listings with instant booking on.

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Their excuses were "we don't know if we'll be there on the dates you want" and the second was "we're going to be renovating".  They should block the dates, not waste my time.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bex1 people feel that they must give some excuse, they might have just declined your request,it is the same. In the end as a superhost I am sure you know that they do get penalised if they decline too many people, don't waste any more of your time thinking about peoples actions. Somethimes there is no explanation at all. Just add instant booking in your search filters and you are good to go. No one can tell people if they should or shouldn't block their calendars. Have a wonderful trip 🙂

@Bex1

I feel for you! For the same reason I only instant book with SH having more than 20 recent reviews. They should have blocked their calendar and/or set their listing in order to only receive requests matching with their expectations.

I only open my calendar 4 months in advance, but it does not prevent guests to make a request on available dates for a real booking in july/august 2019!!! I'm fed up to explain it's not yet available. Many do not understand they have to fill dates of stay to show only available listings!

And I am no more understanding. I ask them only 1 time to cancel their request for free making them aware if not I would be obliged to accept their initial request within the 24h frame time (if the initial dates are in less than 5 day - moderate cancellation policy) or sending them a special offer for 100 times the initial price!

I have IB for 4 years now and when I receive a request or an inquiry I know in most of cases I will waste my time for nothing!

Kenavo 😉

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

A 3rd rejection!  This time I got "Bonjour Bex, effectivement c’est difficile de réserver une chambre 6 mois en avance chez des habitants:( je vous conseille une chambre d’hôtes ou l’hôtel qui vont pouvoir vous rassurer la disponibilité..bonne journée"  What a pile of BS.  If they can't say that they can host someone in 6 month's time BLOCK THE DATES!

@Bex1 wrote:

A 3rd rejection!  

Your story is exactly why AirBNB has become Nanny AirBNB as of late. Being rejected multiple times is extremely frustrating for potential guests– the waiting for 24 hours, being rejected, having to do even more searching and reading, being rejected once again.

The result is that AirBNB rewards hosts that remove that friction point by allowing Instant Bookings. They get better placement.

However, you still have hosts rejecting valid booking requests for whatever reasons. Of course, hosts on this forum claim that they are vetting, using their guts, etc, but the bottom line is every rejection of a booking request is an off ramp from AirBNB to some other accomodation. The result? We are now penalized for rejecting too many requests in our quest for Superhost status.

Neither tool is sophisticated. The reward/punishments are rudimentary. Instead of tweezers, AirNB uses sledgehammers. Nuance is not part of the alogorhythm.

The next time you are angry about the systems that AirBNB is enforcing, it might help to remember @Bex1 and the frustration they are having using airBNB as a guest.

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

You'll love the next part to this saga: found a place that does Instant Book, and, despite successfully booking and paying for somewhere else already for our 2nd night, I just failed verification!!  Guess I'm not going to that town after all, it doesn't want me!!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bex1 at what city are you trying to book? Maybe they have certain type of expectations there , maybe try a month before your trip. It is never that dificult to book a place I don't know what seems to be the problem there. And how did you fail verification, I see that you have verified ID.

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Cute, isn't it?!  I have vouchers that expire in 2 days which is why I want to book now, and my husband doesn't come home until the end of November by which time it's too wet, windy and dark to want to go sight-seeing!  I'm just going to keep on trying until someone, somewhere, takes pity on a poor, lowly, Airbnb host who's got a few free Euros to spend in their establishment! 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bex1  While I am not sure I agree with additional penalties for hosts, I am totally sympathetic with your frustration from the guest perspective.  Your story is good for hosts to understand as many hosts have never used platform as a traveler.  If you were not motivated to use the coupons, I would think you would have given up by now 😛  Hope your patience and persistence is rewarded soon.

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

...Am reaching the point of giving up!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bex1 it is not possible that no one will let you make a reservation for that period. I was just wondering, you said you made an instant booking and something happened there but did't you loose your credit? Because once you book and it gets canceled you don't get your credit back.