House Party Prevention

Jordan9
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

House Party Prevention

My partner had 3 separate reservations on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this weekend and ended up with 3 separate guests that lied to us about the intent of their stay, each throwing their own party with numerous guests (20+) in our home. We did not catch the Thursday night party until after the guest checked out Friday so there was little we could do.

Friday we drove past the home shortly after midnight and found 20-30 people over. My partner kicked out the guest immediately after breaking up the party.

Saturday we drove past the home at 11PM, but later found out the guest had multiple people over for a party that went until the early hours of the morning. The house was left a mess and smelled like a dirty night club.

All guests were told that we did not want any parties, and to find another home that permitted large groups if that is what they intended to have. We were assured by each guest that a party would not occur. We are quickly learning that guests can be dishonest and that additional measures to protect our home have to be taken. 

A couple preventative measures we have implemented this far are:

1. Be cautious of single night reservations, especially on weekends.

2. Drive by the home to check-in on it if you suspect something doesn't line up with your guest’s reservation.

3. Let neighbours know to call you if they hear or see anything out of the ordinary. 

4. Do not have any stereo's in the home (although 2 of 3 guests this weekend brought their own stereos)

5. Communicate Clearly. Communicate to the guest explicitly that parties are not permitted. Make clear your definition of what constitutes a party so that lines can clearly be delineated. Set expectations for the number of guests in the home with a quantitative number and avoid phrases like "a couple", or "a few", or "a small gathering". One of our guests argued that 20-30 people did not constitute a party and that because they weren't actually sleeping over at the home, they technically were not considered guests.

6. Check the guest’s history and look for past reviews. Be cautious of guests that live within short driving distance of your home and question why they are booking it.

We are considering putting in a security camera on the outside of the home at the front door or using our alarm to monitor how many times our exterior doors open and close, but we don't want to infringe on our guests' privacy or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Does anyone have suggestions of how we can prevent parties or catch them early enough? Thoughts? or suggestions? 

51 Replies 51

I am not a airbnb host, I am exploring my options for a trip to San Antonio for a week.  My husband, myself,( from Michigan)  one daughter and her husband (from California)  would be staying at the home.  I know that all of the rentals that I looked at say no parties I completely understand why.  I have another son and daughter who live in San Antonio and two grandchildren.  We would be celebrating Christmas would this be considered a party.  My children are in the military and this would be the first time they all are together for this holiday.  I would not want to violate any ones house rules.  So just asking so I can make other arrangements if it is consider a party.  Thank you in advance for any response.

Just state all that up front when booking, I let families celebrate holidays.  A party to me is more that the stated guests, many cars.

We have a party house next door. This house is rented to 20-somethings almost every weekend. They drink, smoke weed and yell in the backyard until the wee hours. We've complained to Air BNB with no results. We contacted the owner of the house and got no response. The police won't do anything either. They are always too busy with other calls. We're ready to sell our home. This is truly sad the way this has wrecked our neighborhood.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kevin1062  how awful.

You don't say where you are located, but in the UK you can complain to environmental health at our local government that there a regular noise nuisance and they can take action against the owners including prosecution if they don't manage noise at their property.

The police are correct - no crime is being committed so no reason for them to be involved.

I would contact Airbnb publicly on their social media and say something like  Our neighbours home as being turned into a weekend party pad thanks thanks to it being let out via Airbnb  every weekend since XXX. Have asked Airbnb to intervene, as host won't do anything and Airbnb refuse to help. Also copy in the owners at their twitter handles.

Thanks for your response. We are in Scottsdale AZ USA. We do have city noise ordinances, but I guess that's not important enough to send an officer over to check it out on a Friday or Saturday night. Police here are too busy out catching DUI drivers and making the city real money. We'll have to keep posting on social media until someone notices. Thanks again!

Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

I would keep calling the police. Keep a journal and I would look into taking it to the zoning board or other city departments to see if it can be shut down. Scottsdale is a rather upscaled community so you might be able to get the attention of a town board or government representative. It will help to have dates and times documented. It could be a long process but don't give up.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

I am just curious how could you handle the cleanup after each checkout for three consecutive days? Did you actually don’t do cleanup after each checkout? After a party, usually the cleanup effort would be doubled or tripled. I had a guest lied to me about his intent of stay. He held a big party and more than 20 empty liquor bottles were left in my house and trash was everywhere. It took two people working for 6 hours to do a complete cleanup of my three bedroom and 2 bath house. I had a minimum of two night stay to avoid somebody to use my house for party. Since then, I increased the minimum stay of 3 nights.

Today, my wife and I spent 3 hours cleaning our 4000 Sq. Ft. 4 stories home. They guest from last night lied about her intent and threw a party with over 35 people. I have a wireless router Deco M5 that I gives access to guest. It tells me how many devices are connected at that given time. So I was able to know how many people. In addition I had neighbors calling me about the party. I called airbnb and they talked to her and let her know she violated my house rules and asked the guests to leave. They did some. I could've canceled the reservation and tell them to leave but the deed was done. I didn't want to lose money so I let her stay and pray my house wouldn't get destroyed. So after she checked out, she decided to give me a bad review leaving the part out about throwing a party. I called airbnb about the bad review but they say they have to further investigate. I hope they take it out since I called the night before about the party. 

Good luck I have a three night minimum, currently someone is having a party in my house my neighbor just texted me there are nine cars for a group of 6: I am so disturbed as I am miles away from my house. I think I will not rent to young people , coming for events.

I would be contacting your guest @Bayje0  immediately via Airbnb message board and state no parties allowed and only six guests permitted, as per the confirmed booking (assuming this is in your house rules). I would also text message the guest and take a screen shot of the text and also place it in the Airbnb message board.

.Thank you I did the double comunication . She finally responded this morning . lied to me, but I told her my son is a across the street and apoligized, I asked to leave the house now and she is in the process now of leaving.  I think she booked the 3 days (my minimum) knowing she only needed two nights for this weddig event which was yeasterday.
the behavior of this guest can ruin the acceptance of air bnb in small communities . Air bnb needs a better system . be able to post pictures of damage and deny them access to booking on air bnb. I have never complained, but this has been a disastrous night and am for me and my neighbors. Laureen Montross had this planned from the day she booked. There were no regards for the house rules or consideration of neighbors .SHE NEEDS TO BE BLOCKED NOW! This is what ruins airbnbs reputation.
Booked for 6 , 3 days, and partied from the arrival, ,. 3 A. M. there was a count of 7 on the porch and 8 awake at the dining table with a beer game and who knows how many more were elsewhere. MY house.had nine cars in drive way and street very evident as there are only 4 houses on street. I am now flying to NC from CA because of this guest.

@Bayje0 I am sorry to know that you had this party issue as well. You are remote and it is hard to manage. Hopefully there is little damage done on your property! Remember to take photos of all damages to prepare for the claim in resolution center. It is very hard to get damage claims without evidence. 

Wow! We had back to back guests like yours... Your story sounds so familiar that we're thinking that we must have experienced the same guests...  What a pain! 

Sean928
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

minut.com has the best system hands down. Not just noise prevention but monitors motion, heat, humidity, mold risk.  they give the Airbnb Automated community on youtube 25% off with the promo SEAN25

Connor30
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I use Blink by Amazon and Ring to help catch parties. I also always follow-up with anyone local to ask why the book and provide real examples of those who have damaged properties throwing parties to really show them it’s disrespectful. It’s really helped. 

I love the Blink cameras because you can set them to “arm/disarm” at certain times. So based on my quiet times outside I’ve set them to arm and I notice they are outside being loud I take action as necessary. Usually a simple message saying “hey I keep getting motion notifications from the backyard camera. I just want to remind you quiet hours are at (insert time).” 

having the cameras has also deterred guests. They also record audio which can be insightful sometimes for issues post-stay. One time I had a guests friends constantly talking about how much they hated the cameras and how annoying I was and I thought for sure I’d get a bad review. But they were drunk, and I get it. But I also understand it has saved me multiple times when damage has occurred to show Airbnb all the facts of a claim. And the actual guest who did book spoke on camera saying he probably does it just to make sure everything is good of if an issue arises. Which is exactly right - my assumption is most guests get it. A hotel has cameras too. 

I also use Noise Aware. Haven’t had any issues since installing but it will help with detecting audio levels inside the home. 

ring doorbell as saved me with a woman burning the counter with a curling iron and claiming it wasn’t there. Well, she walked into the home with straight hair, and back out 1 hour later with curly hair - needless to say, Airbnb paid out to replace the countertop because I was able to prove what I believed had happened.