House Rules Violation - smoking in a non-smoking room

KayKay0
Level 2
California, United States

House Rules Violation - smoking in a non-smoking room

Guests smoked inside the bedroom through the window.

How much penalty..?

I know hotels charge $250 for smoking in a non-smoking room

7 Replies 7
Luke12
Level 2
Greeley, CO

I am looking for an anwer to the same questions. I smell the cigerette smoke when I am close to the room so I know he is smoking in the room but he has not left. I am not sure if I just kick him out and refund the remainder of his stay but apply for property damage compensation or just what? What is the protocol to remove a guest and how does that affect what I need to do with the financing?

V0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I don't think this is enforceable unfortunately. I had a guest smoke pot and left ashes and half finished joints and was told this was not covered, even though I have it in my house rules that smoking is prohibited and would forfeit the deposit. 😞 I'm not sure this is enforceable.
Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

I have it in my rules when they book, that if I smell smoke in the apartment, I will charge them 2.000 THB extra for cleaning.

I guy just requested my house today and asked if he could smoke in the bedroom (also non-smoking listing), I told him that I would charge him 4.000 THB extra for cleaning, if he did, 3.000 THB for bedsheets if I found burn holes and 10.000 THB for the mattress.

Funny enough, he didn't get back to me.

I have plenty of space outside my apartments to smoke, all of them have balconies, so it's usually not a problem. Just tell them up front, that it's going to cost them.

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@KayKay0

We have charged extra cleaning fee for cigarette smoke. If you search on the forums here you will find a lot of discussion about it.

@Luke12 If we found out someone was smoking even though we had a no smoking rule we would first remind them of the rule and if it didn't stop we would ask them to leave and we would NOT refund them anything. Then we would request security deposit money to clean up after them.

In my opinion it is a serious infraction to

a. smoke in a non smoking apartment

and

b. break one of your rules that they have to read and agree to before booking

Just because they have paid to stay in the place does not give them the right to abuse you or the space.

Theresa21
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

I have my listing as non smoking and have it in the House rules. Yet, I have a guest that check out, thank goodness, is today that is a smoker. I noticed the smell the first evening, so yesterday went and personally reminded her of the rule and ask her not to smoke. She seemed to think that smoking outside was fine. It is not. I belive she smoked in the house last night so she wouldn't be seen outside smoking.

I am so new to hosting,  she is my second guest, so I don't know the steps to take in a situation like this. Smokers require much more clean up behind. Along with the usual housekeeping, now I will clean the fabric of all the seating, plus, shampoo the carpets again.

I have a security deposit amount and only a small cleaning fee. How do you get compensated for the extra time and exspense?

I like the idea of including an extra amount for more serious cleaning in the House rules.But how do you enforce that.

Would love to get some feed back please.

One other question. I noticed that some listings have NEW before their heading. Why is it not on my new listing? I saw no info anywhere about how to get it flagged as new.

Theresa

Pier10
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Theresa, did you ever get any feedback on your question? is an important one.  I have asked Airbnb and they said to submit pictures, of course can't take picture of smell....especially if you are not there when renting out your space? thank you to let me know. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My listing is very, very clear; no smokers or, naturally, smoking. 

One guest did. I managed to claim dry-cleaning charges for bedding and cushions.