How do I get Airbnb to help me stop verbal abuse from a person who does not respect my policy?

Answered!
Cristina312
Level 2
Cochabamba, Bolivia

How do I get Airbnb to help me stop verbal abuse from a person who does not respect my policy?

Hello friends, 

I am sufering verbal abuse from a person who cancelled his reservation upon arrival to my house.  This persons stayed one day and a half as a guest, and as soon as he arrived, he decided to cancel because he said that the accomodation was "too private" and needed a place closer to town. The problem is that he does not want to accept my cancellation policy (moderate), and has engaged in verbal abuse to force me to refund.  In normal circumstances I would probably decide to break my policy to keep a person happy, but  in this case I believe that the policy should be enforeced. I went out of my way to help him, I picked him up in my car at no cost, provided breakfast (free of charge), the room has a kitchenette with a small fridge that has  bottled water for less than one dollar, the guest was informed that these are not free of charge, but refused to pay and complained. In sum, I believe that every effort was made to provide him with the best service, but it was his decision to change to another place "not so private", therefore I believe that the current policy is appropriate and fair.

I am rated as a superhost, and have had a very good experience hosting, I would like to have Airbnb stop the insults that this person keeps sending me, but I have not found a way, I would appreciate your help.

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You might do two things, @Cristina312.  Let the guest deal with Air BNB if he wants to cancel.  Unless he can prove either something came up that he did not expect or your listing is not accurate, Air BNB will allow the cancellation according to your policy.  Second, go to his profile and use the flag under the name to report his abusive behavior.  It is helpful for you to have the communication on the Air BNB message system so it can be viewed by Air BNB.  If you have been only talking, summarize what has happened thus far, tell him to contact Air BNB to cancel and confirm you will not cancel the reservation and that he must do that.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You might do two things, @Cristina312.  Let the guest deal with Air BNB if he wants to cancel.  Unless he can prove either something came up that he did not expect or your listing is not accurate, Air BNB will allow the cancellation according to your policy.  Second, go to his profile and use the flag under the name to report his abusive behavior.  It is helpful for you to have the communication on the Air BNB message system so it can be viewed by Air BNB.  If you have been only talking, summarize what has happened thus far, tell him to contact Air BNB to cancel and confirm you will not cancel the reservation and that he must do that.

Thank you very much Linda!  I think that the guest in question had canceled before arrival because I received a notice from BNB saying that they were sorry but the person had canceled his reservation.  However, he did arrive in the morning, and he spent one night and the next day.  Fortunately, all of the communication has been through the Airbnb site.  I did not know that I could use the flag to report this behavior.  Thank you again.

Why on Earth would you let him stay if you saw his reservation had been cancelled before he arrived?!  I would have never let him in the door.

I actually and unfortunately saw the airbnb message AFTER he had arrived. In any case, it is the first time this happened to me, and it is a big lesson, especially because of his repeated complaints about the fact that the suite is too private, and that he "needed people," whatever he meant by that...

@Cristina312  When you are a new host you can be easily overwhelmed by "pushy" guest.  How dare he cancel then show up and STAY at your place!  If he cancelled before he showed up, you need to file a claim against his security deposit.  Thankfully you have communicated through the Air BNB system.  Speak with an Air BNB customer service representative as you need an advocate in the system.  Rough start to your new business, but please believe most guests are wonderful!!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There are certainly options is he is using the AirBnB system to message you, how exactly is he doing this?

If it is on the message system AirBnB can see it.

Otherwise it may be a Police matter.

David

Hello David,

Thank you for your message, this person has been using the Airbnb message system so everything is recorded there.  I believe that he must have canceled the reservation the same day that he arrived because as soon as he arrived in the morning, I received a message from airbnb saying that they were sorry that this guest had cancelled his reservation.  He has been threatening to involve Airbnb in order to get a full refund, I hope that he does it so that the insults can stop.

@Cristina312

AirBnB have a stated policty about people doing this sort of thing, I would be pro active and contact them and get it stopped now.

Good luck.

David
Nagawa0
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Since he disrespected your place he or she must respect you not to disturb you at all.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Cristina

He's obviously a con artist and he's seen a loophole in the system, he's getting aggressive because he knows he's on sticky ground and not much time before he’s found out.

The constraints that Super host status is placing on some Hosts to act decisively is alarming. 

Call the Cops

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII