How low is too low to review a guest?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

How low is too low to review a guest?

Dear all, please offer your opinions on a tricky subject I'm currently mulling over.

I have multiple listings on multiple platforms. I'm struggling with how to review various guests. (my inclination is typically to be fairly black/white and harsh, but I also don't want to deal with the BS that comes from people being pissed when they find out they've been reviewed badly....)

In one of my listings we do not share space with the guests (separate entrances) but there are shared walls. Guests are very aware that we're all in one house though in separate sides. So, for example if in that listing I can hear the guests constantly screaming obscenities at each other or I know that they arrived and were flaming angry that they read the listing wrong and it wasn't what they imagined it to be (they did manage to clean up their language/thoughts before speaking to me). Would that color your review?

If you have a very clear policy that extra guests are not allowed, but then there are extra guests brought. Does that then drop them in their overall rating to a 4, 3, 2 or 1? 

What does it take for you to make someone a Thumbs Down or a 4, 3, 2 or 1 overall rating?

Are you concerned for what it means for you (your listing) to mark guests badly? Are you at all concerned that guests may see the stars you've left them? Other thoughts on badly reviewed guests? Good riddance or someday we'll all be in trouble for having expectations for how guests should treat our homes??

19 Replies 19
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kelly149

oh yes... this is the situation when we have to use both our ratio and our feelings, not just one of them . Our reviews are our impression of the guest, we are not alghorithm, we are humans.

We all make mistakes so my opinion is that neither hosts nor guests should not be to strict with their reviews. It is important to realize if something was done unintentionally or because the other side didn't care / want to cheat / is plain rude or else...

And we have to take into consideration so-called "holliday brain" and overload of informations during the trip. It is so easy to overlook or forget something, specially if they travel in a big group or with kids.

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

There are many issues with the rating system, most of these affect the host primarily because we are the ones in business. If a guest gets a bad review its not too difficult to set up a new profile. Also in some cases guests don’t even have a proper name or photo in their public profile. Guests are much less exposed than the host, so leaving bad reviews in general doesn’t seem to have too much impact.

Generally I would say its best to leave an honest review, personally I think the written comment is much more important than the stars rating. According to Airbnb hosts standards we have to maintain 4.7-stars, so consider everything under 4-stars as a bad rating! 

As a potential future host to this guest I am most interested in knowing if the guest followed the property rules and left the property without damage. I am not so concerned with personal traits friendly/unfriendly as these are open to interpretation, you won’t click with everyone. 

@Kelly149

In my case....... if I would welcome that particular guest back then it is a clear 5 star and thumbs up. If the guest did nothing wrong.....just in a few minor areas not a good fit and I'd consider maybe letting them back under certain circumstances then a 4 star and maybe a thumbs up......I'd really have to think about it. I might decide to not choose a thumbs up or down and just leave it blank.  

For guests I don't want back....they are 3 stars or less and a clear thumbs down. I honestly don't care if it's a matter of preference at this stage. Guests are able to be more selective of places they stay at compared to hosts being able to choose the guests we want to host. With that said, if I end up with a guest that is clearly not a good fit with what I provide and the hosting experience for me was not enjoyable, then it means either the guest did a bad job of choosing a place that would be a good fit with their needs or it was intentional and they were hoping to get away with things I do not allow or condone. Either way...... in my eyes they are irresponsible and entitled people who (try to) take advantage of others. So I do not feel bad at all for giving them low star ratings and a thumbs down. 

@Kelly149 I don't really put much thought into the star ratings for guests for one reason: they are only visible to hosts who use Instant Book. Maybe someday that will change, but the fact is that no host who really cares about screening guests would use Instant Book. So the difference between 3 and 4 stars shouldn't really be a factor for them. (If a mixed review would cause a host to cancel a confirmed guest, my advice would be to disable Instant Book altogether).

For the hosts that are selective with their guests, the written review is the one that matters. In that regard, I consider a violation of a house rule such as one against unregistered guests to be a very important detail, worth mentioning in the public review. I also think it's relevant to describe how the guest reacted to being told they had transgressed a boundary - did they correct the problem and apologize, or did they continue to be a nuisance?

I would not for a moment consider mentioning a private conversation that I was able to hear through the walls. That would send a signal to future guests that their private room is not really private, and that they will be judged for what they do behind closed doors no matter how they behave in front of their host. 

If the sound of your guests arguing was disturbing to you, you could perhaps allude to it in the private comments, but personally I'd let it go. Despite being unhappy with what they booked, these guests chose to behave cordially to you as the host, and what happens between them privately is their own business. If everything else was generally OK, I'd say that merits a thumbs-up, and perhaps a caveat. My review might read like: "I'm not sure my room was the best fit for Homer and Marge, but they were considerate guests and left the place in good shape."

As for the other questions, I'd expect that at some point guests will be able to see the star ratings left for them, only because the law is gravitating toward people being entitled to know what data web companies are collecting about them. I default to 5 stars unless there's a serious problem (such as breaking the rules and bringing unapproved visitors over), and I generally hope my guests do the same. As far as I'm concerned, if people are paying for my hospitality it's part of the deal that I will accept their imperfections - whether they be marital drama, odd smells, bathroom hogging, weird hours, or other things that normal paying guests are perfectly entitled to. And in return, I hope that guests will recognize that I've provided the experience described in the listing rather than compared my humble home to the Ritz.

Miki5
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Hey Jesse, I agree with @Anonymous about their argument. I would be aghast if a host mentioned this in a review, and as a potential guest I would probably skip staying with a host would wrote of it publically.

Breaking house rules are a biggie -- sometimes. Depends on the rule and the guest. I ask that dishes be placed in the dishwasher, for example, and not washed by hand as it’s better for water conservation. Half the guests don’t do it. But if they’re nice, I won’t knock off any points. There is a ton of new information to digest when travelling, and I get that a such detail can be forgotten. Extra guests however is a big no-no.

But again, I TRY to lean towards open mindedness and send a polite message bringing any major infraction to their attention, to see how the guest reacts. Most just go, oh crap, sorry, and that’s the end of it. If their stay continues in a pleasant manner for both of us, I don’t mention it, because we can all make mistakes. But If they don’t react well that’s when I get more serious in the review.

It’s a real shame the stars don’t have more weight for the guest. I really wish they had a rating system similar to Uber. I wish guests with fewer then X stars couldn’t use IB. I wish guests couldn't create a new profile whenever they get a bad review. The leeway given here by ABB is kind of scandalous, but perhaps not all  people are aware of the loop holes.

@Miki5 @Anonymous No, I certainly wouldn’t mention that guests spent 3 straight days screaming at each other but it does strike me as a trait that makes for a less than ideal home share guest. 

Also complicating this is that I’ve made a business decision that I will not correct a guest’s rule breaking Unless it is a safety concern or I’m asking them to leave about it. If abb stripped guests of the ability to review for proven rule breaking I would change my stance but until then I’ve decided that the risk isn’t worth it. 

Ive never badly reviewed for missing a detail here or there (trash, dishes, towels in “wrong” place, etc @Jessica-and-Henry0) but the extra guests or no parties seems so egregious to me that a 3 or 4 doesn’t cut it. But then when you have guests who know where you live and are offended it just doesn’t seem worth it. (I’m specifically thinking of the guest who had extra people sleep on the couch and invited over 10 underage friends of their children for a pizza & beer party. Why is she now surprised that her review is bad???)

and probably about 50% of my guests I wouldn’t want back regardless of the $$. So, does that mean I’ve had bad luck or I have unreasonable expectations?

if they don’t burn the place down is that a good enough guest??

Miki5
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Kelly149 Wow -  50% . Is it possible you've had a few bad guests in a row who have tainted your hosting experience? It can certainly happen. I know one bad guests throws me into a mini funk, plus hosting burnout is a very real consequence of the high ABB turnover. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Kelly149

i have a couple of extra layers of drywall between us and the basement unit, but even that is too close at times. Nothing like a good drunk argument or loud music at 3am.

I honestly don't know how people can have people share the main part of their house with 'guests' - and shared rooms are priced at a lot less as well 😞

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I really don't think too hard about occasionally knocking a star off here or there if guests were dirty, broke some house rules etc. but it takes a lot for me to rate them 3 stars or lower or to give a thumbs down.

I have done this occasionally though, when I've had guests that I would never want back under any circumstances. These are the guests that not only broke house rules or damaged something, but were rude/hostile to me. I am ALWAYS polite to guests no matter how painful they are so, no, they don't get to disrespect me and make me feel unwelcome in my own home, sorry.

It's never happened to me, but the extra guests are also a big no-no if this is done knowingly and intentionally. Occasionally, guests book for one and it turns out there are actually two (or sometimes three) because they are just being a bit clueless. Luckily, I've managed to figure this out before the stay and they have to change the booking to two people and pay the extra or, if it is three people, they must cancel. Trying to sneak in extra people, showing up with them and refusing to pay extra, or throwing parties/gatherings or any kind would automatically get a thumbs down from me.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

I try to apply the golden rule on this one. I rely on the reviews of fellow hosts and for that reason I hope that everyone is honest in assessments. There have been times when, looking back, I probably should have awarded a four rather than a five. I try to take into account whether it's their first time using Airbnb, in which case I'm more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt and make "suggestions for growth" in the private section of the review. When I feel there is something I should warn fellow hosts about, I try to do it in the most polite way I can. If someone melts a beer bottle in the fireplace and uses it as an ashtray (in a no smoking property!) I'm more frank, but in the most polite way possible. (-;

I had someone instant book recently who had a three star average. It was the first time I considered cancelling a reservation. I wrote to the guest and told him I noticed the reviews and asking whether it was safe to assume he would leave the house in a way that I could improve his average. He assured me I would be able to and made some excuses for the previous reviews. He ended up cancelling the reservation less than 24 hours before arrival. He originally booked the trip saying that he was coming with friends to ski and visit craft breweries. Now he is saying that he was coming with his father and brother and frends and that he had to cancel because his father was hospitalized. Now he is saying he has lots of bills and paperwork to prove that his father was in the hospital and intends to contact Airbnb for an extenuating circumstances refund unless I make another long weekend available for him at no charge. 

I offered him a free night's stay on a new trip. Something doesn't ring true to me about this whole thing. (First of all, who has ever received hospital bills within a few days?!) I also don't feel comfortable letting him stay without it being a rental through Airbnb where I don't at least have the review process as a recourse.

The house is a six bedroom home, so there was no way I was going to get a booking with less than 24 hours notice to replace his reservation. 

The person told me he owns a motel at a New Jersey beach town, so I looked it up. The reviews are absolutely horrible, averaging 2.5 stars on Trip Advisor and 1 star on Yelp. 

I'm a little nervous he'll use the extenuating circumstances route with Airbnb. I'm left to wonder how stringent Airbnb will be about verifying it. 

Anyway, I've gotten way off topic now. What I'd like to say is... please be very honest in your reviews. Going forward I will absolutely heed them! 

@Heather133 I think it would be a very big mistake to provide a free night to this guest outside of an Airbnb booking. The fact that he essentially threatened you in order to get his way tells you everything you need to know.

I would recommend reporting your correspondence to Airbnb so that they can see his attempt to circumvent the booking system for a free stay, as this is technically a violation of their rules. They might choose to grant an Extenuating Circumstances refund anyway, but consider it a small price to pay for a dodged bullet; this is likely a nightmare guest who you'd be better off not hosting in any capacity.

@Heather133what @Anonymous said, don't get involved with this one at all.

Thanks everyone. I agree. I'm going to have to leave it to Airbnb when they get his Extenuating Circumstances request. I don't want him in the house.

@Heather133 this guy sounds super dodgy. Whenever someone cancels and requests their money back I always inform them that hosts don't handle cancellations. Abb does. This means it's out of the host's hands, and any communication, haggeling, negotiating, pleading must be with ABB. If the potential guest has been cool, I'll offer to refund their money,  if I get an equivalent booking. This guy sounds like such a pain, though, i probably wouldn't go that far.