How many sheets?

How many sheets?

We recently stayed at a home and there wasn't a bottom fitted sheet, just a top sheet and a comforter. When we inquired with  the owner, who lives offsite, he couldn't understand why it was a problem. He stated that the comforter  is cleaned between guests.

We are definitely not used to not having a top and bottom sheets, unless we are camping and using sleeping bags.

What are your thoughts?

12 Replies 12
Jonathan134
Level 3
Boston, MA

From my experiences traveling on airbnb and also googling it quickly I think is a diference between the US and Europe (I noticed this in France, but i also experienced in SF too). There might be a duvet with its insert, and a mattress sheet, and so they would wash those. But traditionally in the US there would be just a comforter, and bed sheets (a regular sheet, and mattress sheet) and so the comforter wouldn't be washed every time but all the other bedsheets would. 

Personally as a host I have a duvet cover towith its insert/comforter, a bedspread and a full set of sheets underneth. That way with all the layers, each guest can individually controlling their layering.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

That's just gross!  I would definitely mention it in the review.  I would want to know about that before booking in to a place!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not gross. Just not what you expect. Not everyone has the same customs as the US 🙂

Having a fitted bottom sheets plus a duvet with a cover which gets changed/cleaned between each guest is perfectly acceptable.

Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

The host is likely using the flat sheet for the mattress cover, you don't have to use a fitted sheet. So just use the flat sheet and tuck it in. If the "comforter" which is in fact a duvet cover, then you are just misunderstanding the set up and the duvet cover is washed between guests. Totally acceptable. 

We use duvet covers and fitted sheets. Out of 100 guests about one is confused and want a flat sheet and/or a flanel blanket. On one of the beds we have to use a large flat sheet as a fitted sheet and tuck it on the sides because I could never find a true fitted sheet for a double bed. Queen size fitted sheets were always too large and wrinkled on this size mattress. 

@Marcelino-and-Debra0   I have noticed many people remove the top sheet so I am guessing many don't see the point of it or don't like it.  However, I have the bed made with a top sheet, bottom sheet, comforter and whether the guests use them or not they are all always changed and washed between guests.

Debbie18
Level 5
St Just, United Kingdom

This sounds as though it might be a cultural difference. Where was the place in which you were staying?

In England, I provide a fitted bottom sheet though many people use a flat sheet that is tucked in. I then have a quilt on top, also called a duvet, to which I fit a cover that is removed between guests for washing. The quilt itself is washed, though less frequently.

It is not usual in Europe to use a flat top sheet under the duvet.

I have always wondered about the American "comforter" and thought that it was an additional thick cover that one might put on top of the normal bedding if extra warmth (or comfort) were necessary.

It's an interesting difference.

Debbie

@Debbie18

In America the comforter is a thick blanket, usually very decorative, a flat sheet is used underneath it. I think it's less sanitary than a duvet cover because a flat sheet usually moves as people shift in their sleep. The comforter cannot be washed often, it usually requires a drycleaning. So to me the comforter with a flat sheet is more gross than a duvet cover and no flat sheet, because duvets get washed between each guest. 

Having no top sheet is a BAD idea! I don't care what the customs are. We just got back from a long Central European tour and were shocked that none of the Airbnb's offered a top sheet on the bed! The problem is - 1. there is NO air conditioning in most places 2. the duvet was too heavy and made us sweat . 3. we'd kick it off then wake up cold.  This cycle went on all night. We couldn't control the weight of the bedding on the hot night. A nice top sheet would have been perfect.

So, to ensure your guests have a bad night's sleep, don't provide a top sheet!

And, what is with the small personal sized duvets? I sleep with my husband and we want to be together, not separated in our own duvet that is too small to tuck under the end of the bed. This is a really stupid idea. - Sorry Europe!

If you need help making a proper bed for your guests, visit: https://www.marthastewart.com/269497/how-to-make-a-bed

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Separate duvets is a great idea.  My husband likes much warmer bedding than I do so now we can have different weight duvets, and my duvet doesn't even twitch when he turns over.  And no sheet, thank you.  If l'm staying elsewhere and the provided duvet is too hot I just remove it and sleep under the empty cover - couldn't you have done that?

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

This is the European way.I first encountered this at my sister-in-law's in Switerland  and have been using it myself for 40 years.  The gown comforter stays clean....no gray hand prints on the edge.... and I love the light weight of the bedding.  

It is actuall no different than the new three sheet style hotels have adopted. Think about it.

What we have seen before is hosts actually asking guests directly what are their preferences, so that can work too.

------

Source: http://bestairbnbcoupon.com/ 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I make the bed with a fitted bottom sheet and just the duvet + cover, because that's how duvets are meant to be used. They tend to slide off if you have a sheet as well, instead of settling around you. However I do provide a flat sheet and 2 fleece blankets as well, so guests can make the bed warmer or cooler.