How often should I change sheets/clean the room?

Ana1289
Level 1
Lakewood, CO

How often should I change sheets/clean the room?

We have our first 6-week guest coming. How often should I change sheets/clean the guest room? Once a week? Can we expect the guest to take off the sheets himself?

9 Replies 9
Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Hi Ana, I would prepare a second set of sheets for your guest to replace when they want to change let them know to pass on used sheets for you to wash and replace this way the onus is on them just my thoughts jackie

Great idea, Jackie.

@Jackie148

It is up to you as long as you communicate very clearly to the guest about what you do/don't provide.

Imo, I provide bi-weekly sheet changes and handle it myself (or Henry does). We like to check for stains, make sure they are treated properly before going in the wash and also make sure the laundry is done to our standards - this includes the guest towels as well. We charge accordingly for providing these services. If you expect the guest to do the laundry of your sheets & towels, be prepared for the worst case scenario ending up with badly laundered items at the end of 6 weeks 🙂 

Ooops~ should have tagged @Ana1289

^_^;;;;

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ana1289  In the case of a 6 week guest, I'd tell him/her that you'll be coming in once a week to change out bedding and towels and give the place a cleaning.  It also provides you with an opportunity to see whether they are keeping the place reasonably clean, or whether there is rotting food in the corner, etc. Arrange with the guest what time would be convenient for them.

Most of my guests come for a week-2 weeks. For the one week guests I don't change out anything, nor clean the room, unless they request that (none of them have). For the 2 week guests I offer them clean stuff after a week and ask if they would like me to change it out or if they'd prefer to do it themselves. I've been lucky to have all quite clean and tidy guests (and I leave a broom and dustpan behind the bathroom door and show them where there are cleaning supplies under the bathroom sink if they need them), so all have said it isn't necessary to for me to clean. 

If I have a 10 day guest, I'll offer clean sheets and towels at the halfway mark, 5 days, but so far all have said they were still fine with what they had, except for maybe a clean towel and washcloth.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

i have an entire apartment where i supply a washing machine and dryer, i leave my guests more towels than they need .

If i have longer guests i leave another set of sheets and they do their own washing as i am a one hour drive away i'm not about to do extra cleaning even though it sounds as though people charge extra for this service.

My guests are here to enjoy their stay not with me comming and going to interupt with cleaning i provide everything for them and so far no one expects extra services.

So many hosts have different set ups, some with rooms some with entire set ups so it is up to the individual as to how they do their hosting.

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

@Ana1289, everything is a matter of arrangement. You may start this by asking them how often would they want to have changed  out bedding and towels and cleaned the rooms, or as @Sarah977 does - to tell them how often you would do it. Both ways are good and worked for me.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ana1289,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

I was wondering if you've seen all the helpful comments given? It'd be great if you could let us know what you will do :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Very helpful.