How to View Hidden Profile Photos

How to View Hidden Profile Photos

So, I'm as irritated about this as everyone else.  I learned that the profile photo is hidden using site cookies.  So, actually the person's profile photo is visible to everyone EXCEPT the host receiving the request/inquiry. 

If using Chrome, just right click on the person's name and select "Open link in incognito window".  Then you will be able to see their profile photo, if they have one.

112 Replies 112

@Susan1028  Yes, I know, all hosts are up in arms about this, it's outrageous.

They haven't required that hosts pay the guest fees, at least not yet. At this point it's an option, at least in some places. 

They clearly don't value or need us with all of the multiproperty mangement companies on board.

Time to move on.

@Sarah0

...and I've been consistently booked, double the booking rate in my area and have got 100% 5 star reviews...

What a series of slaps in the face to hosts that work hard and give ABB a good name!

Asking hosts to risk thier safety for profit?

This has reached the level of abuse.

There's been enough of this in the corporate world.  ABB should be ashamed to have gone so far in the opposite direction of the original philosophy.  I can;t work with anyone who treats thier "profit centers" this poorly.

I will also be blocking out any unbooked dates and listing elsewhere, and informing my loyal guests why they won't be finding thier favorite place here anymore..

I’m following you! Moral and ethics first!

Ryan111
Level 6
New York, NY

Thanks for the tips on here.  I would echo that this change is ridiculous and goes against the "community" principle.  I want to know who I am booking, if they are a real person and if they are the person that stays at my place.  

Mikael29
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

Hosts objection needs to be heard! 

@Christopher187 wrote:

So, I'm as irritated about this as everyone else.  I learned that the profile photo is hidden using site cookies.  So, actually the person's profile photo is visible to everyone EXCEPT the host receiving the request/inquiry. 

If using Chrome, just right click on the person's name and select "Open link in incognito window".  Then you will be able to see their profile photo, if they have one.

Philosophy of Airbnb is sharing your home with travelers, it is different from a Motel that all you need is your credit card.  I am also a super host and have had awesome guests from all paths of life. I base my judgment on all the information I receive from the guests including their responses to my questions and the picture!  

Why are they forcing hosts to go instant booking?? Racism and Discrimination won't be solved. Did any host had a say in this ????  They are taking a vital feature away from Hosts that made Airbnb successful business.

Sarah1968
Level 1
Elora, Canada

I agree that it should be out right to see who we are hosting in our homes. This is not fair. I feel we do need to speak up. 

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

This is a brilliant tip Christopher.  But it actually makes me even more annoyed with Airbnb for setting up a situation in which everyone can see a potential guests profile details EXCEPT the host.  My confidence in Airbnb is at an all time low. John N

Francine55
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for figuring it out and sharing with us. It's particularly insulting to hosts. I get that discrimination is obviously a problem but this doesn't address that issue and really just insults hosts.

Any suggestions on how to do this on a Mac? Thanks.

Elaina7
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I just sent this message to the air bnb team: Hi Air bnb, I hope you are well. As a female super host who host’s in her own host - I am devastated by your new policy of not allowing host’s to see guests photograph before they book. I understand the source of this change comes from one of anti discrimination but I completely disagree with your approach. Surely if a host is a rascist etc - why create a situation for the guest where they may be staying somewhere they are not welcome.

I have hosted people from all over the world but I need a level of transparency when I am deciding who I host. I don’t usually write or complain in life but they change will have such an impact on air bnb and the whole experience for guests and hosts. I see very little benefits that will emerge. I hope you rethink this, better you lose many great hosts like myself.

Kind regards

Bryan178
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

They're have  already shut this down.  Isn't working for me 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums regarding the recent change that Airbnb made so you can only see a guest photo once a guest books. Some hosts have misinterpred what the change actually means. I thought I would summarise what I have found out.

What I have found out to date.

1. You can set up your listing so that only guests with photos can book (see link below)

2. If you do this and use IB it would be no different than it was before, you will see the photo as soon as the booking is made.

3. If you have your listing set so that guests need to make a request to book, you will only see the photo once they book (if you have ticked the box to say you require guests to provide a photo

4. Just as in the old system this doesn’t stop guests uploading cartoons, trees, pictures of their kids etc. As an extra protection I put in my house rules that guests need to upload a clear profile photo of themselves in order to book my place.

Hope this helps anyone who has been confused by Airbnb’s latest change to guest profiles.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2377/how-can-i-require-guests-to-have-a-profile-photo?q=guest%...

@Helen19

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Helen.

Hosts often complain about Guests not reading. Some CC paticipants also fail to read thoroughly.

I read your post and I consider it one of the best on this topic.

Good job.

Linda810
Level 2
Campbellcroft, CA

Airbnb Please reconsider this policy.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Linda810 taking into account my advice above. What is it about the policy that you feel is wrong?