How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

1.  All the man who wanted to move was contact Airbnb about the dirt and lack of promised service.

2. Never write a long reply to a bad review...Just say you are sorry you were unable to provide the extra services requested.

3,  meeting at airport for people coming off a 12 or 30 hour flight is a great thing to do... If you are going somewhere the guest might like, offer them a ride....don't do anything else. You are not a butler, chauffeur.

4. Star ****** highlight ********.  Electricity..Read This******* in your early listing and mention it again in your welcome message.  Just want to remind you that electricity is a separate charge which we will collect directly from you.

If you can figure out an average amount per month, you can collect it in advance thru Abnb reservations..under request funds.  That way they have something more official to their mind...

Lucie116
Level 2
Olomouc, Czech Republic

I believe the homemade cake or biscuits is a nice surpise for my guests and they actually do appreciate it! It makes the difference, some of them ask for a recipe as well. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds delicious @Lucie116 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Adam15
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

I always leave home made Welsh cakes plus a bottle of white wine which goes down well but for guests who bring their dogs I leave 2 bowls with some dog treats in one of the bowls which guests love! I often get left personal thank you messages from the pets, which makes me happy. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw I love welsh cakes @Adam15, they are so delicious just of the griddle. 🙂 I remember making them regularly when I was a kid and they have remained a favourite of mine. I bet they go down a treat with your guests. 

It is really nice to hear you receive little personal thank you messages, this can mean an awful lot. 

--------------------

We write a welcome message in chalk on the path to the front door - and often the guests write a thank you note as they leave setting a great tone for the incoming guests. it is a joy to host with Airbnb.

Carrie-And-Bay0
Level 2
Joshua Tree, CA

We obsess tirelessly over cleaning, connecting guests to local expereinces, and communicating.  The later is our #1 ingredient for Superhost success. We find out about their stay, and ask how we can help make their stay memorable.  Sometimes it is a few minutes early checkin, others it is a surprise bottle of wine. 

I don't know if this is unique to just us, but our home has a few group art projects that guests love to participate in, whether it is simply the art chalkboard or classic typewriter poetry, guests seem to love to create when they are on holiday.  We try to arrange as many as we can to display the incredible work, but the sheer volume has us play curator a bit lately and choose outstanding works to display as part of the home, which really adds to the warmth of the place when people arrive and seen so many positive experiences had in the home, and lovely words composed to the good times had. 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I am not a superhost yet, but on track to get it in July.  My listing is an attached guesthouse which is sooo ideal for airbnb.  The guest has complete privacy as they have the entire space to themselves so none of the usual concerns/hang ups about shared space, while at the same time they get the comfort of staying in a home rather than a hotel.  It's attached to the main house so we are there and available to help and keep an eye on things without having to worry as much about our own privacy and personal space.   So far we have met all the qualifications for superhost and really all we do is make sure the space is VERY clean and try and make it feel warm and inviting and we put out welcome goodies like chocolate and microwave popcorn and K-cups and fresh flowers.  Then I check in regularly over text and see if they need anything and I address any concerns immediately.  But pretty much we just stay out of their hair and let them enjoy the space!  Most times I never even see them unless we bump into each other in the driveway or the TV or something isn't working and needs attention.  The attached guest house/in law suite really is the perfect airbnb setup.

You really do have the ideal setup! 

Jane569
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Thanks all of you for this wonderful ideas you've given us on this platform.

Am not a superhost but if all goes well, this 1 July i will become one. My listing is my intire house because am  working oversea whereby i use it a month per year.

Naturally i like people, this has helped me to be a good host and i always treat people the way i would like to be treated. A dirty place makes me unconfortable, so i make sure the house and the entire residence is clean although am a remote host,  my Caretaker/Cleaner has to send me the inside photos of the house before check in like how she has laid the beds, towels, a fruit basket with a welcome rewritten note..etc... I made a list of all the house items with their prices, during the check in, the Caretaker gives a tour to the guest and after the guest sign the list to take the responsibilty.  Check out time, Caretaker checks everythings and we say BYE BYE.

So far all is going well, we haven't seen anything missing or broken after check out.

I think something like this can help some remote hosts however my other advantage  is my Caretaker stays on the property in servant quarter.

I wonder what your Cleaner will do if something is broken. Won't she let guests go or maybe claim the compensation or to shame guests? )) I think no reason to keep guests wating for checking-out (saying bye bye). I find it a bit harsh or ambarrassing. In anycase, you will have to resolve such dispute through airbnb service with pictures of broken items.

Hello Sergey

Thanks for your input idea, my aim is to know that the house is in the same condition as it was during the check in. As soon as a guests books, i inform them the procedure about check in & check out, they like it according to their reply and i always tell them if anythings breaks, it is much better to inform me before the check out , it works well for both us. As i have metion, i haven't had any problem but in case it happen, i will claim the compensation to Airbnb Resolutin Centre but before claiming the guest has to know.

Pam192
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

I've been hosting, in my home, since November 2017, I became a Super host at the first evaluation.  I didn't know much about Airbnb when I started, having never stayed in one myself, and the first I heard about "Superhost" was when I was told I had earned the status. I am booked 29 out of 30 days average per month. I love hosting. With over 200 guests, I received one 3 star and one 4 star, the rest have all been 5's. My review rate is 98%. I don't think my success is anyone thing it's a combination.  I pride myself on offering high end linens (at least 550 thread count) excellent towels, which I buy at Macy's on sale i.e. $170 set of sheets for $34. The beds are very comfortable and everything is well cleaned between guests. The room is decorated more in an eclectic style, as I pick things up at yard sales or flea markets. The room is done well it looks cozy and inviting. I encourage all my guests to make themselves at home and relax I even have "quite" toys for children.  Santa Barbara is a beach city so I have plenty of beach chairs, towels and an umbrella that I'm happy to loan. Being a Superhost is not in the grand gestures, at least for me, it is in wanting my guests to have the best experience possible while in my town and in my home, both of which I'm proud of. Loaning out my 5 year old beach chairs for instance is more appreciated and of more value to my guests than providing breakfast! I offer fresh ground coffee and a selection of teas in the morning and that seems to be plenty. I love my guests and they seem to feel the same about me. It's become less about the money and more about the human experience. I have friends all over the world that have invited me to their homes for free.  Amazing! 

That is precisely what it is all about! Enjoy, Enjoy!

Mekhti0
Level 2
Baku, Azerbaijan

I think, main issue with travelers that apartment should be clean, I’m focusing on every detail when it is about cleaness. And also good welcome greetings play a vital role for the travelers.