How to deal with a guest who is too demanding, won't give you space at any time of the day?

Anna451
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

How to deal with a guest who is too demanding, won't give you space at any time of the day?

Feel very uncomfortable, have hosted for a while and not often had this at all. Current guest is too demanding, won't give me any space in the evening, not even after dark or at night. Even after I just got out of the bath, and went to change in my room, guest started shouting demands and requests from across the corridor.

After I left my room, having quickly dressed, the guest then made multiple demands - asked unneccessary questions, asked for items (cups, adaptors) I had only had the guest in my apartment for 8 hours but had been at their beck and all the entire day. Never felt so stressed from an experience. 

Told them 'please give me a bit of space' after I got hassled coming out of the bathroom, guest did not understand. Then slammed door. Very strange, now stroppy.

How to other hosts handle similar? 

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

How long is this guest staying? If only a few more days, maybe just grin and bear it?  If it's longer term, you might want to have another sit-down discussion with the guest about expectations.  If you don't feel this will work, you can call Airbnb to have the guest moved to a different location.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Anna451

I think you need to take back a bit of control here.

Sit down with your guest and say that you hope they he has a great stay, however you just want to help him understand more about how Airbnb works to help it be a pleasant experience for you both.

That what he has booked is a room in your home (and whatever other facilities you provide). That you are happy to offer him advice on your city and that you have showed him aroud your home and having given him detailed information about your listing. So hopefully he now has all the information he wants? Ask if there is anything else to let you know now.

Remind him you have other committments in terms of your time when you are at home, so you aren't going to be available at all times to answer his questions and that if he does want to talk to you, unless its an emergency, that he should wait until you are in the living room.

Aferwards message him on Airbnb to confirm the conversations.

Then if this continues and the stay is for more than a couple of days, I would talk to Airbnb and see if they can find him somewhere else.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3....You are just an absolute fount of good knowledge Helen! I have not read a single post of yours that I would disagree with in any way. Of all the contributors to the forum you and Andrea stand out as the voice of reason!

Good on you....keep it up

Cheers.....Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4

What a lovely compliment...thank you so much.

You have made my day 🙂

Best

Helen

Adela6
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

I would look into having him removed. He sounds mentally unstable and rationalizing with him probably won't work.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anna451

God you have struck a prickly one, haven't you! Most important question is, how long has he booked for?

Have to agree with previous comments, you must take back control here! State to this individual that he has come to a home hosting site. You are not a 5 star hotel, and he is not paying 5 star hotel prices. ......Say to him, "You have come into my home as my guest! Sure you have paid for the experience but, you have not paid to have me as your servant. I offer you a private facility but I do not offer you my life! Please respect that this is my house and while you are here you will treat me with courtesey and respect! If you continue to place unacceptable demands on me I will have no option but to involve Airbnb and have you relocated"!

Anna, the more you weaken your postion, the more you strengthen his!

Anna, it guarantees you of a bad review but you are over a barrel here. From the way you have described the situation this guest is an unacceptable person to host and the only way you will have recourse is with your review response. 

Assuming that you will allow this hosting to continue to its booked conclusion, this guest, if he reviews you at all,  will no doubt have a catalogue of complaints. In your response simply say that you value guest feedback as it is the only way you can improve as a host but, in this instance this guest's demands crossed the borders of reasonable behaviour, and you would not, on any level, see your way clear to recommend this guest to other hosts!

Anna, I feel a bit guilty because I have never struck this situation, but take comfort in that you have more than 60 great reviews and we are not fools, this man and his review will soon slip off the radar as long as you do not lower yourself to his level and get into a word fight with him....stay dignified, that's what counts!

Cheers....Rob