How to find a bargain for your listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to find a bargain for your listing?

Bargain

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, @Huma0 created a fantastic topic called Before and after pics, here in the Community Center. This topic developed into a great discussion around wonderful tranformations you have achieved in your listings. One of the things Huma mentioned is how much she likes to look out for bargains and then bring them home and give them a spruce up or a new lease of life! 🙂

I have done a similar thing with an old pine chest of drawers I was given. I sanded it down and gave it a few coasts of paint in a pale greeny/grey colour and then sanded it briefly again to give it a more rustic feel. I then ordered some nice colourful ceramic handles for only a few pounds and attached them, it looks great and cost barely anything. 

This got me thinking, do you look out for bargains for things to place in your listing and if so, what type of things have you found? Do you normally have to do much work to them, to get the items to how you want them?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

22 Replies 22
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like your parents have been very busy working on the property @Edwin57, they must really enjoy doing it. Do you help with the improvement works as well? It must be really exciting to see it evolving. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Yes I do help them and at the same time Iam learning the value of antiques my Dad And Mom tells me son learn to go to museums you will see a whol diffent world now that Iam older I see what they mean

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Lizzie I have been shopping for the past few days because for some reason, there are a lot of discounts going at stores nearby. I purchased 2 new end tables at 60% off. Some fall and christmas decorations for 50% and 70% off! It is great, but also dangerous at the same time. 😄

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

Thanks for sharing @Lizzie

im always on the lookout for little special something to enhance our guests' experience at the cabin.  Sometimes it's a simple thing like a new soap dispenser but I know those things do get noticed. 

@Lizzie

I usually shop for stuff at clearance sales or end-of-season sales, especially for high-end items. We also buy a lot of stuff online and in bulk (if we have the space). I agree that waiting to buy something till you really NEED it is a guarantee to pay more than you actually should have to.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear about your experience with this @Jessica-and-Henry0@Farah1 and @Joanne-Flynn0

I wonder is there anything in particular you always keep you eye out for in the sales or when looking for a bargin for your home, or is it a matter of seeing things and thinking "oh, that would work really well in the living room..."? 🙂

I suppose in other words, how often do you find you need to update accessories or furniture etc. in your home/listing?

--------------------

Jussara9
Level 1
Sao Paulo, Brazil

i love bargains, the ones that i really like in my house are the 2 beds that is in our cozy room - they has become a milestone in the history of Brazilian furniture design  https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cama_patente

Brandon96
Level 2
New York, United States

I'm able to find many of the things I need for my Airbnb apartment at Doillar Tree (stores are everywhere in the U.S.). Everything there is $1. I can get cleaning supplies, bathroom supplies like body wash, shampoo, lotions, etc. Plus, I have a basket with things like extra toothbrushes, deodorant, razors, etc. etc. I ask guests to take anything like the toothbrushes or deodorant or something that is "personal" with them when they leave. Dollar Tree also has frozen food so you can get frozen pancakes, waffles, frozen fruit and other breakfast items to put in the freezer. My Dollar Tree has bagels, cream cheese, milk, coffee, syrup and condiments - all of which I have stocked in the cabinet for my guests.

If you stock more than one Airbnb, DollarTree.com will let you buy in bulk. You have to get at least 12 of any one item. Normally, the shipping cost is $4.95, but they sometimes run specials where they have free shipping. I'm not sure, but I think you can pick up the order in the store without having to pay for shipping.

Hope this is helpful.