How to keep a bad guest from rebooking

Marcia213
Level 2
Denver, CO

How to keep a bad guest from rebooking

I've just had my first experience with a bad guest and I'm getting ready for another one. 

The first guest was outside making noise and smoking cigarettes at 2,3, even 4 o'clock in the morning.  I stressed that while they were very nice people, they would be better suited for a hotel and I requested that they not book with me again as I had changed my policy to no smoking on the property, not just inside.  I think they will abide by that.

My next one is a repeat guest who is returning this week and is already telling me they want to come again next March.  I gave them a good review on the last visit even though they left the place a little dirtier than most and they didn't follow directions very well - seemed like minor things.  The guest contacted me again this week and was asking for better pricing since it was going to be "only her" this time.  I had a cancelation at the last minute so was looking at no booking for the time she wanted, so I gave her a significantly discounted price.  One minute after she finished booking she informed me that her son would be staying there one night.  So that means they will use the fold-out and I'll have another set of linens to wash, iron, etc.  I requested and received the $15 fee for the extra person (she groused about it first), but I feel like she played me by not being upfront on who was staying there.  The $15 in no way compensates me for the extra time I will spend and I feel that the bond of trust between guest and host has been broken.

Is there any way to block a particular guest if you have instant booking?  I expect that I will be nice through her visit, wait for her to write her review and then write a thumbs down review for her and send her a private message to please not book with me again.  Is that the right way to handle this?

Do more experienced host not do instant booking?  It seems like I might be getting more bookings with it.

Any advice from those more experienced would be appreciated.

21 Replies 21
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb do have a system for blocking guests so your listing won't show when he tries to book again.

When you leave your review tick the box that says you won't host again and you can also block the guests via the messaging system. @Lorraine80 

Lorraine80
Level 2
Wakefield, United Kingdom

Thanks for the help and info Helen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorraine80 

This is an old thread you've posted on so I think a lot of the information on this is out of date. @Helen3 is correct though. When you review, there will be a question about whether you would host the guest again or not. The guest will not see this. All they see is your public review and any private feedback if you choose to send them some. They do not even see the star ratings you give them.

You can also go to the message thread and click on one of the flags next to a message. Here you will see some options, but you need to select 'they're being offensive'. I know it's not ideal, but that's the only option Airbnb give you to block, rather than just report. If you click on this, you will then be able to block the guest. In theory, this means they can neither book with you again nor message you. Normally the communication with the guest in the thread then gets hidden by Airbnb, although I have only blocked a guest who is trying to book with me rather than a former guest.

Lorraine80
Level 2

Thanks for your fabulous feedback.  I am off to work on my listing now especially about minimum house rules, parking and although I have never had anyone complain about the rabbits I will try and update this info.  The reason I never mentioned my husband is that he works nights so is never here on guests arrival and still in bed when they leave.  I can definately see where I need to improve.  Thanks once again

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorraine80 

Also, if you don't mind me suggesting make a few adjustments to your listing.

- The first thing in your description is "A Friendly host with minimal house rules. " No! Don't start off with saying you have minimal house rules. This is going to attract exactly the kind of guest you have just experienced.

- I know your photo shows you and your husband, but otherwise, your profile and listing might suggest that you are a single woman living on your own in a "quiet grove". Even if your husband is not involved in the hosting, I would definitely mention that you live with him on the listing and on your profile for security purposes. I know it shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately that is the world we live in. Safety first.

Also, you need to let guests know who else they will be sharing space with, so your husband and pets should be mentioned more prominently in your description. Otherwise, you might encounter guests who specifically did not want to share with a man who will be startled to discover this or people with allergies or a massive aversion to pets who have missed the mention of the rabbits, which is quite hidden.

I feel like you have a few things in the wrong place on your listing, e.g.

- Your house rules section is rather sparse, i.e. you do not have any additional rules. Yet, under 'the space' section in the description, you have listed a bunch of additional rules. This is not the appropriate place for them. The 'space' section is for describing the space, e.g. the room you are offering. Make sure you add these additional rules to the House Rules section, otherwise a guest can claim that they were not house rules at all and choose to ignore them. If you want these things to be prominent and included in the main description (which is understandable), then put them under 'other things to note' but make sure they are also in your house rules!

- You have used the 'other things to note' section to mention the train line, which is good, but I would mention your rabbits here too if you have not already included that in the description above. 

- You've used almost all of the first section of the description to describe the location and transport links. It's fine to mention these here if they are the main reason to book, but this is the section that is where you should really be selling your place, but it says nothing about the room or house.

- The parking situation is confusing. In the amenities section, you have 'free parking on premises' and then in the 'you must acknowledge' section under Health and Safety, you have 'no parking on property - on street parking outside house'

Marcia213
Level 2
Denver, CO

In leaving your review, you should be able to check the box for not hosting guest again.  It’s been a while, but I think there’s a follow up question about the reason.  Parking his car at the neighbors is not following house rules and should be reason enough.  If that’s not a choice, just pick the closest option.  They shouldnt be able to see your listing, but had a blocked guest message me once asking why she couldn’t book me.  I replied that “I could not fulfill her needs as a guest”,  “Better suited to a hotel” is a good one, too.

Lorraine80
Level 2

Thanks Marcia.