How to lift a block?

Mia27
Level 2
Littleton, CO

How to lift a block?

I'm new to Airbnb and I wasn't familiar with the cancellation penalties.

2 weeks ago I warned a potential traveler that I wasn't taking reservations for less than a week over Christmas break. He wanted to rent for 3 days right over Christmas. This morning I woke up to a reservation made by him from Dec 22 to 25th.

I canceled a reservation because it was created by the traveler against my consent.

As I'm new to airbnb I don't know how he was able to do this if I have in my page not to reserve for less than 5 nights. Today (I had to change to 3 n min) as after I canceled him my page says he's blocked for good to discourage future cancelations.

How can I ublock this dates if he's not going to be staying at my place?

He made the mistake and I get penalized?

My property doesn't show available over Xmas Break now due to his 3 day block for a canceled reservation.

Needless to say I'm really upset as this cancelation is going to cost me a lot of money as my property doesn't show for the 2 weeks of Xmas Break, only for someone looking before Dec 22nd and after Dec 25th.

4 Replies 4
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Hi. I am afraid that you should not be hosting until you FULLY understand how the Airbnb system works. In this instance you have learned an expensive lesson and ruined someone's holiday. You will be unable to unblock the dates as you cancelled the reservation.  Good luck with your future hosting, it's fun when you know all the ins and outs. 

"Hi. I am afraid that you should not be hosting until you FULLY understand how the Airbnb system works. In this instance you have learned an expensive lesson and ruined someone's holiday."

Thanks you so much for your friendly email.

I don't know how I ruined somebody's holiday as the guy can rent anybodyelse's property for those dates as he got his monty back.

This wasn't my fault he KNEW in advance he couldn't rent from me for 3 days as I told him in my messages from NOV 08 that the minimum nights for Xmas Break is 5 "From Dec 17, 2016 - Jan 01, 2017 the minimum stay is 5 nights."

So a guest can go around and rent the dates he's been told in the inquiry he CAN'T rent and as the inquiry is still there he can go around and rent it nonetheless.

If somebody loses here is me and airbnb that won't get comissions for the days Winter break.

Airbnb will read the thread where this guy was told in NOV 8, he couldn't rent for those dates.

The guest made a booking in good faith based on your settings on your listing. You cancelled the booking hence the guest had to find alternate accommodation. Messaging him at a later point doesn’t change the fact that your settings were wrong. It was not your guests fault. Anyway my main point is that its best to learn how the system works before listing to avoid inconvenience for your guests and you. 

This is an old thread I know, but I get a little sick of the constant reasoning that "you ruined" or "disrupted" somone's travel plans. Even if you immediately respond? Airbnb should really let the newcomers know up front that they can customize dates on their calendar (for years ahead), and to be sure not to turn on instabook until they know how it all works.