How to make guests feel special

Judy204
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

How to make guests feel special

I'm a newbie to hosting. Can anyone share little things they do that make the guests feel comfortable or that is special for them. I'm assuming the normal ones (guidebooks, telephone number of restaurants, little amenties). Just wondering if I am thinking of everything?

58 Replies 58

@Fay26 Did I understand you ??? those that don't give breakfast  are MEAN host - your word???? Well, many of us would love to be able to do that however, in my city we are NOT allowed - we would have to be inspected for food service and also bring in and work under the dept of health and be working as a restaurant and it would be more costly than any of us can afford. I do offer many super things, a basket with packaged snacks, water, flowers, Keurig Coffee, teas, etc.  -to go cups - I painted the closet door with chalk paint and it is a real hit with Welcome names and suggestions. I had robes - folks didn't use them - so I stopped that. I listen to my guest and they seem really happy even without breakfast . I also have a docking station for plugging in all their devices - makes it easier for them they say.  Sometimes Fay the picture is different when we look a little closer....... I'd love to be able to serve a french contential breakfast. Happy Hosting, Clara B.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Forgot and @Lawrene0 reminded me. Birthdays, honeymoon, etc. We always do something small, but special; a cake, etc. Tomorrow is the fellow's birthday, so taking him fishing for a few hours. Of course, that applies to my reality, but you get the picture.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Nice of you to feel the need to make the guest feel good we as host are in front of the guest 

so careing is number one love what you do they will feel it as they walk though your place 

we are Humen remember that but as long as you love what you do and care everything would be fine you are in the right track if we would be just like you for what you said How to make a guest feel 

special the world would be better place 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My three night stayers get a welcome 'Thank you' (from Lindt for around £2). Longer stayers get a bottle of wine. I also rememember why they're staying and mention this. Lastly, radio set to their city's station.

lindt-hello__thankyou_assorted_chocolate_pralines.png

Lacey6
Level 2
Perrysburg, OH

I like fresh flowers in the kitchen and us vases in the bedrooms.

I have a welcome table with their name on a slate tile.  Also menus local maps coupons.  A list of things about the house...and some life savers. 

@Lacey0 When you mentioned 'life savers', in my listing it would mean 'life preservers', so they don't drown if the island blows away, that may make them nervous. Seriously, the flower touch is great since it always serves to liven a place.

I did the fresh flower idea in the kitchen... I didnt think to put some in the bedrooms . Great idea :)!

Valerie243
Level 3
Coquitlam, Canada

Fresh-squeezed orange juice waiting at check-in is ALWAYS a huge hit... often mentioned by guests in reviews.  What makes it special to the guests isn't the orange juice -- it's the FRESH SQUEEZED.

Sue-and-John0
Level 3
Salt Lake City, UT

I love all the ideas going to steal some of them myself. We have a giant world map hanging in the room on a cork board with pins and a note that tells them we want them to pin where they're from. We get a kick out of seeing the pins show up on all over the world and they get a kick out of being able to show that they were here. 

I take them into the camper and demonstrate how to poop and flush sucessfully, using clear words and gestures.  This is an icebreaker for sure.  And extremely necessary as we quickly learned after our second guests didn't understand the camper toilet and didn't ask.  It was a dis-ass-ter.

Seriously, we greet them at our locked gate, give them the gate opener and accompany them into the camper.  I have a little intro speech, describe all the things they can access and use, show them how to work the heat and air.  If they have a dog with them I help them introduce it to the ranch dogs.

Good coffee and good 'creamer' is so important.  I stayed in an Airbnb in San Antonio.  It was perfect and the hosts were wonderful but the coffee they provided was cheap and stale (undrinkable) with fake powdered creamer.  Bleech.  I would rather have had nothing provided and known ahead of time to stop at a store on the way.  The first morning was a disappointment.

We provide ground coffee regular, dark roast and decaf.  Filters, a coffee maker and a Melitta drip filter.  Tea, herbal, green and regular black tea, sugar, artificial sweetener, shelf stable soy, shelf stable whole milk, canned fizzy drinks (real juice and soda water no sugar added.)  Hot cocoa mix for the kids.

We do provide breakfast items but they have to cook and clean up after themselves.  You could say that no breakfast items are provided but coffee, tea, drinks are welcome by anyone and don't spoil very quickly.

If I didn't already have the camper set up for guests before we started the Airbnb I would probably get a Keurig.  Then the coffee, tea and chai could all be in pods.  Since our camper was already set up I just went with what we already had.

I love that you are sharing a camper. The husband and I are trying to get ours set up to do the same.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

That is such a wonderful idea. Your home is creating memories from all over the world ! Love it !

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

We leave farm fresh eggs in a wooden bowl on the counter along with a small jar of homemade jam and/or honey.  More than half of our reviews mention them...

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I always leave my guests a little treat. It can be something as simple as a small mason jar of wild flowers or little chocolates to homemade cookies or a beer in the fridge. That along with a personalize welcome note gets them everytime 🙂

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

Some great ideas here!  One thing that most of our guests mention is being attentive as far as communication.  I enjoy answering people's questions about the cabin or area.  Some times they stump me and I spend time Googling. And I think it's worth it.  I learn more about the area and they are appreciative (like one guest asked where there were Bastille day celebrations in Phoenicia NY.  I had to dig around for that one)